Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Destroyed in EV Safety Training Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.

I am a Norwegian that have reserved aModel S. So I have not yet seen any of these live.

However, in this video I see a possibleconcern. If you see 29.3 into the video, you can see some very poorlyexecuted welds. I hope this is just due to this car only beingassembled for this demonstration.

Is there any way to see these weldswithout doing what they do on this video? If so have onyone checkedon your own cars if these welds are better?

In the case that these can not in anyway be seen, have any of you removed some panels or orther items sothat you have seen welds which are normally not visible? Do the weldlook like good quality welds?

The main reason for concern iscorrosion, however I guess nobody has had their cars long enough tonotice if that will ever be an issue. Unfortunately, where I livethere is a lot of salt on the loads.

The overall quality was also somethingI was thinking of when I saw the weld. From what I have read on theNorwegian forum there are different opinions regarding that.

Hi.

I am a Norwegian that have reserved aModel S. So I have not yet seen any of these live.

However, in this video I see a possibleconcern. If you see 29.3 into the video, you can see some very poorlyexecuted welds. I hope this is just due to this car only beingassembled for this demonstration.

Is there any way to see these weldswithout doing what they do on this video? If so have onyone checkedon your own cars if these welds are better?

In the case that these can not in anyway be seen, have any of you removed some panels or orther items sothat you have seen welds which are normally not visible? Do the weldlook like good quality welds?

The main reason for concern iscorrosion, however I guess nobody has had their cars long enough tonotice if that will ever be an issue. Unfortunately, where I livethere is a lot of salt on the loads.

The overall quality was also somethingI was thinking of when I saw the weld. From what I have read on theNorwegian forum there are different opinions regarding that.

That would be a robotic weld, and given its location, not very important cosmetically. After the car's body is welded, the entire thing gets dipped in an anti-corrosion bath prior to painting. So I doubt if the gaps in the welds really matter.

Hi.

I wouldn't worry about corrosion as a) those are painted over, b) the car is alumin(i)um.

I would imagine most if not all cars will have similar welding when it isn't on display, there is no need to smooth out welds that cannot be seen in normal situations.

I wouldn't worry about corrosion as a) those are painted over, b) the car is alumin(i)um.

I would imagine most if not all cars will have similar welding when it isn't on display, there is no need to smooth out welds that cannot be seen in normal situations.

I might be a little paranoid when it comes to this, since I am working as a structural engineer for the offshore industry. However, I am used to also aluminum welds being better. If the surface treatment is very good it might not be a problem.

However, automatic welds are often better, depending on how the robots are programmed. How are the more visible welds looking?

Hmm, actually some of the frame is steel, sorry. However I am sure proper precautions have been taken for corrosion! I don't know exactly how of course.

I don't think there are any visual welds on the outside of the car? If there are they are hidden, not sure about in door jams and stuff. I haven't seen a Model S in person.

If you haven't already seen it the National Geographic doc on the Tesla factory has quite a bit about the alumin(i)um welding.

I might be a little paranoid when it comes to this, since I am working as a structural engineer for the offshore industry. However, I am used to also aluminum welds being better. If the surface treatment is very good it might not be a problem.

However, automatic welds are often better, depending on how the robots are programmed. How are the more visible welds looking?

This was probably a very, very early preproduction car. One built while they were still assembling the cars by hand before they had all of the robots programmed.

I haven't noticed any issues in the visible welds on my car. Search for the "frunk revealed" thread and you can find several pictures of the frunk and rear end on production cars disassembled. I'd recommend taking a look at the welds revealed there.

This was probably a very, very early preproduction car. One built while they were still assembling the cars by hand before they had all of the robots programmed.

I haven't noticed any issues in the visible welds on my car. Search for the "frunk revealed" thread and you can find several pictures of the frunk and rear end on production cars disassembled. I'd recommend taking a look at the welds revealed there.

I can not find that thread when I search for those words. Do I have to put in wild-cards or anything like that?