Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model S vs. ..... AKA the Model S performance thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has someone already started one of these? If so, my apologies. I'm interested in hearing more of people's real world stories of encounters with other cars. Shame on me, sure, for wanting stories possibly/likely involving potentially illegal activities. What can I say, I'm a car nut with a need for speed. I've been fortunate enough to have owned some nice cars over the years, and I bought the Model S because in large part because of the attraction of having my cake and eating it too.

My previous car was an E90 M3 (4 door). I loved it in every way except for it's very poor gas mileage. Any way, long story short, I sold my M3 to a friend as delivery for my p85 Model S drew near. Last night I got the chance to meet up with my friend and former car for some quick tests/adventures. I was interested to find that, from a roll-on at highway speeds (i.e. from 60 to about 110-120), the two cars were pretty evenly matched, with a very slight advantage to the Model S. From a slow roll or from a dead stop, the Model S crushed the M3, jumping to several car lengths and then maintaining or slightly increasing it's lead. Nothing terribly unexpected about that, based on tests (the well-documented test against the M5 coming to mind). The M3 makes 414 horsepower and 295 lb/ft of torque. It weighs about 1,000 lbs less. So other than the torque, it has a power to weight advantage. Again, no big surprise, but I have to say it was wonderfully gratifying to pull away from the M3. I will say unequivocally that I miss the glorious engine and exhaust noise of the M3. The Model S lacks sex appeal in that regard, as far as I'm concerned, for anyone who appreciates the character of a really good ICE engine.

My next personal test will be to put it against my semi-track prepared turbocharged porsche Cayman, which beats the M3 from a roll in a similar fashion. From a standing start the Cayman will fall behind the Model S. But will it start to gain past 60? From a roll, will it be faster? I don't know, but it should be fun to find out.

Anyway, what are some of your stories encountering other cars?

Alas, I'm gonna have to leave this to you youngin's. Back in the day I flew supersonic jets upside down, slightly hungover, while eating a sandwich AND putting all bombs on target. However, as Clint says; "a man's gotta know his limitations." My reflexes aint what they used to be. The speed thing is a young persons game. I'm guessing I'll just putter along at sub 300wh/m.

However, having said that; out here on the county roads I quite often get youngsters in ricers drafting me as if we were coming out of turn 3 at Talladega. I'm quite certain that I WILL enjoy dusting a few of these kids just to get it out of my system and let "Shane" do what he was born to do.:wink:

but I have to say it was wonderfully gratifying to pull away from the M3. I will say unequivocally that I miss the glorious engine and exhaust noise of the M3. The Model S lacks sex appeal in that regard, as far as I'm concerned, for anyone who appreciates the character of a really good ICE engine.

When you feel nostalgic about engine noise and exhaust, just remind yourself of the dreadful social and environmental costs they represents. Then you might feel better:)

A few other general observations. The Model S's high speed braking is very good. The car feels very stable and the brakes are powerful. But you do notice the weight. It also has accurate and nicely weighted steering but the steering feel is pretty inert and there isn't that much feedback - the M3 was not exactly a model in that regard either, but it is better than the Model S. Any Porsche blows both of them away as far as steering feel goes. The M3 has far, far superior seats. And I have my doubts about how well the Model S's interior will hold up over the years. But otherwise the body/chassis feel extremely well put together.

Yep, the seats and lack of steering feel are my two biggest issues with the Model S. My Audi S4 was better on those fronts, even though Audis aren't exactly revered for their communicative steering.

I also own an Aston Martin V8 Vantage, and that has outstanding steering feel. I'm sure it's slower than the Model S, though. And although I like the silence of the Tesla, the Aston's engine note can't be beat.

It also has accurate and nicely weighted steering but the steering feel is pretty inert and there isn't that much feedback - the M3 was not exactly a model in that regard either, but it is better than the Model S. Any Porsche blows both of them away as far as steering feel goes. The M3 has far, far superior seats.

sent via Tapatalk

Any comparison to a Porsche should really be to the Panamera... other cars are really apples to oranges.

But in general, to paraphrase a video debate between two magazine editors comparing the Roadster and the Model S a few years ago: the Tesla may or may not be better than <your favorite ICE>, but the mere fact that a new company, building its first mass-produced car model and using a revolutionary drivetrain technology, still managed to come out swinging with something we're even willing to compare to <your favorite ICE> at all, is nothing short of astounding. :)

I kept my e90 m3 :)

The S is wifey's car
i-Lwmj6T2-L.jpg

A few other general observations. The Model S's high speed braking is very good. The car feels very stable and the brakes are powerful. But you do notice the weight. It also has accurate and nicely weighted steering but the steering feel is pretty inert and there isn't that much feedback - the M3 was not exactly a model in that regard either, but it is better than the Model S. Any Porsche blows both of them away as far as steering feel goes. The M3 has far, far superior seats. And I have my doubts about how well the Model S's interior will hold up over the years. But otherwise the body/chassis feel extremely well put together.

No way the braking is as good as the M3 right? Cross-drilled FTW. I'm in an E90 M3 ZCP as well, wondering how much I'll miss the M3. How are the handling dynamics vs the M3? How about range if you're driving it the way an M3 should be driven? I get ~16.5mpg in the M3, usually target ~85mph on the highway, for comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Also how much do you miss M drive? I heard the DSC can't be turned off.

No way the braking is as good as the M3 right? Cross-drilled FTW. I'm in an E90 M3 ZCP as well, wondering how much I'll miss the M3. How are the handling dynamics vs the M3? How about range if you're driving it the way an M3 should be driven? I get ~16.5mpg in the M3, usually target ~85mph on the highway, for comparison.

- - - Updated - - -

Also how much do you miss M drive? I heard the DSC can't be turned off.

I don't miss M drive. You can wag the tail of the Model S from a stop at will, which is plenty entertaining. Changing the steering settings etc is easy and traction control can be partially disabled on the S, which is similar to M mode on the M3. I haven't compared test specifications for the two cars braking but the Model S brakes feel every bit as good as the M3. I tracked the M3 a fair amount and I wasn't wild about it's brakes anyway, although they are perfectly fine for street use. As far as handling dynamics, I haven't tracked the Model S (yet), or even put that many miles on it yet, so it's hard to make an informed comparison. The Model S definitely feels quite a fair bit bigger and inherently less nimble. I'd be a little more concerned with purposefully inducing oversteer as well.

The range for the S and M3 are comparable, actually. I averaged, IIRC, 14.8 miles to the gallon with the M3 in predominantly city driving, so I rarely got much more than 220 miles or so to a tank. The Model S varies significantly with cold weather, but otherwise it's not dissimilar.

- - - Updated - - -

I kept my e90 m3 :)

The S is wifey's car
View attachment 17692

Very nice! Which exhaust do you have on the M3?

I don't miss M drive. You can wag the tail of the Model S from a stop at will, which is plenty entertaining. Changing the steering settings etc is easy and traction control can be partially disabled on the S, which is similar to M mode on the M3. I haven't compared test specifications for the two cars braking but the Model S brakes feel every bit as good as the M3. I tracked the M3 a fair amount and I wasn't wild about it's brakes anyway, although they are perfectly fine for street use. As far as handling dynamics, I haven't tracked the Model S (yet), or even put that many miles on it yet, so it's hard to make an informed comparison. The Model S definitely feels quite a fair bit bigger and inherently less nimble. I'd be a little more concerned with purposefully inducing oversteer as well.

The range for the S and M3 are comparable, actually. I averaged, IIRC, 14.8 miles to the gallon with the M3 in predominantly city driving, so I rarely got much more than 220 miles or so to a tank. The Model S varies significantly with cold weather, but otherwise it's not dissimilar.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice! Which exhaust do you have on the M3?
Full titanium akrapovic exhaust, stoptech trophy st60 bbk, kw cs coilovers, ess vt2-625 blower :)

The range for the S and M3 are comparable, actually. I averaged, IIRC, 14.8 miles to the gallon with the M3 in predominantly city driving, so I rarely got much more than 220 miles or so to a tank. The Model S varies significantly with cold weather, but otherwise it's not dissimilar....

How does the M3 handle high altitudes? The S is unaffected.

"Full titanium akrapovic exhaust, stoptech trophy st60 bbk, kw cs coilovers, ess vt2-625 blower"

So nice! I had the akrapovic on mine too - awesome exhaust. But you've gone way beyond that, I see ;)

Thanks for the first hand comparison between the M3 and the Model S. although completely different platforms (MS should be compared to the 5-series) the M3 was actually what I was going to go for before I discovered the Model S :)

I don't miss M drive. You can wag the tail of the Model S from a stop at will, which is plenty entertaining. Changing the steering settings etc is easy and traction control can be partially disabled on the S, which is similar to M mode on the M3. I haven't compared test specifications for the two cars braking but the Model S brakes feel every bit as good as the M3. I tracked the M3 a fair amount and I wasn't wild about it's brakes anyway, although they are perfectly fine for street use.
Partial traction control not that interesting but allowed yaw angle with DSC still on = gift from gods.

Let's go Tesla software update!

I'm a car guy and have had a long string of good sports cars...(300zx Twin Turbo, BMW 330ci, BMW M3, Porsche 997 Carrera S, Audi S8 V10, Ferrari California). I alway liked gas engines. But I can honestly say that the nature of the P85's bizarre acceleration gives more of a thrill than any car I've owned. It's so silent and so instantaneous and so smooth. My Ferrari does 0-60 in about 3.7s, but the P85 actually feels much quicker in short bursts. The Ferrari and S8 (and Carrera S to a slightly lesser degree) sound gorgeous, but it is a much busier experience, with the transmission having to shift down one or two gears, and the engine having to rev and then drop and then rev and then drop. What I enjoy most about my P85 is its ability to squirt instantaneously from behind traffic and just be instantly gone. Or when a curious challenger creeps up behind or next to me (seems like mostly Mustangs and Camaros and Infiniti G37 coupes and Chargers), and I simply floor it and in an exhilerating mad burst of silence they are instantly left wallowing 10 car lengths back. It is such an addictive feeling, the rush of g-forces throwing your head back abruptly. It isn't the same as an ICE - it's a different kind of fun. Much more fun, in my opinion.

I had an E60 M5 which I think is probably the better comparison as opposed to the M3.

I had an RPI exhaust system on my M5 and the exhuast note was awesome. That being said, the feel of linear acceleration in the MS is unbeleivable and more than worth losing the Euro exhaust note. The MS hauls better than my old V10 M5

I had an E60 M5 which I think is probably the better comparison as opposed to the M3.

I had an RPI exhaust system on my M5 and the exhuast note was awesome. That being said, the feel of linear acceleration in the MS is unbeleivable and more than worth losing the Euro exhaust note. The MS hauls better than my old V10 M5

I agree. The difference is amazing. Add to that the difference in ride/handling balance.

Sent via Tapatalk