Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State Good To Go Pass - best installation location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any of you Seattle area Model S owners had any success in installing a Good to Go pass on the inside of your windshield? Or should I opt for an exterior installation?

Sorry if I double post on this one...

According to the Good To Go site, the Model S requires a license plate pass. I ordered mine a week ago and got it within a couple days.

I think there was a thread on these forums too. Although maybe I'm thinking of a thread on the "NTOC" Google Group for NW-area Tesla owners.

In any event, I put mine on my windshield, in the center, a couple of inches below the mirror. It works just fine. But several other owners have said it doesn't work there. Some report success immediately to the right of the mirror. Some even have problems there and are trying a license plate pass, or behind the nose cone.

Maybe (?) my windshield works because I'm an early model (VIN 112) and the windshield was different. Who knows.

Does anyone know if the license plate registration (the extra .25, not the pass) works if you don't have a front license plate?

Btw, I just realized this is in the wrong topic.

Last edited:
It is.

I wonder if it would work if placed behind the plastic nose cone.
It is indeed big and ugly. Luckily, it does work fine behind the nose cone. I used heavy duty Velcro to attach it to the front of the bumper, and it works fine. The only issue is if I ever want to use a HOT lane (i.e. 167) and have more than one person in the car. It would take a few minutes to remove and replace the nose cone. More than likely, though, I'll never need to do that.

I bought a sticker and brought it to the Bellevue Good To Go office where they had a hand scanner. There were no areas on my windshield that worked. I have vin 1646, I believe some of the earlier MS had windshields that worked but mine did not.

I did not like the other options and I cross 520 only about 4 times a month so I just pay the extra 25 cents fee for photo enforcement.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if the license plate registration (the extra .25, not the pass) works if you don't have a front license plate?

Btw, I just realized this is in the wrong topic.

I do have a front plate so I am not sure if photo enforcement works without one

There's been a thread on this before. Unfortunately the answer is not clear. It works on some cars (like mine) but not others. Maybe they changed the windshields.

I believe somebody said they had a handheld tester at the office; it's not perfect but can give you an idea.

Thanks guys. I did some additional research and found a page on the WSDOT site that lists cars that don't work. Tesla MS is included with a note saying the license plate pass is required (as opposed to "possible problem...). Oddly enough, they also list Model X as having a metalized windshield and LPP required.

Of course the LPP is something of an issue with the way the front plate is attached. Sigh. If it isn't one d*mn thing...

I think the nose cone is RF transparent. People are mounting their radar detectors behind it.

I just stopped by the GtG pass store off of Northrup in Bellevue and picked up a motorcycle headlight pass. They activated it and added it to my account while I was in the store, very simple. I just stuck it on the headlight near the chrome part that doesn't have any lights in it on the outside edge. First time across the 520 and it worked perfect and is barely noticeable.

Reactions: jsanford
I just stopped by the GtG pass store off of Northrup in Bellevue and picked up a motorcycle headlight pass. They activated it and added it to my account while I was in the store, very simple. I just stuck it on the headlight near the chrome part that doesn't have any lights in it on the outside edge. First time across the 520 and it worked perfect and is barely noticeable.

Pics please?

I have a front plate pass, of course works perfectly.
is the other problem people have here that they don't have their front plate mounted?

I do have a slight issue that my front plate mount wasn't installed to have the top screw holes usable, so my front plate pass is installed on the lower part of the plate, partially blocking the license plate number. Planning to get that fixed whenever I first go in for a service call -- waiting for Bellevue service center to open to do that and a few other things (creek is driving me crazy!)

Well, mine isn't mounted 'cause the car isn't done yet and I haven't figured how I am going to mount it.

I have a front plate pass, of course works perfectly.
is the other problem people have here that they don't have their front plate mounted?

I do have a slight issue that my front plate mount wasn't installed to have the top screw holes usable, so my front plate pass is installed on the lower part of the plate, partially blocking the license plate number. Planning to get that fixed whenever I first go in for a service call -- waiting for Bellevue service center to open to do that and a few other things (creek is driving me crazy!)