Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very important tax related question !!! Tax time !!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my new P85 today and am of course elated with joy and happiness...

Then a friend of mine who is an accountant attempted to ruin my day by telling me that if I am in the AMT (alternative minimum tax) segment of the tax paying population, then I am NOT entitled to take the $7500 Fed Tax Credit

If this is true....I am soooooooooo pissed!!!

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

LEAF Owners went through this last year. I don't believe the $7,500 tax credit is affected by AMT ot TMT...The IRS held up payments last year and sent letters to LEAF owners that were not accurate.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Electric drive vehicle credit 8936 decreased/rejected by IRS

It's a long thread, but ultimately people got their money from the IRS.

Here is a document put together by one of the LEAF owners who researched all the relevant issues...Very thorough....

EV Tax Credit and AMT/TMT - Google Drive

Bottom line, you should be okay...

My understanding is that if you bought your Model S in 2013, the tax credit will apply to the taxes you owe in 2013. This means (I think) that you won't be able to claim the tax credit until April 2014 when you file your taxes for 2013. So you have plenty of time.

My understanding is that if you bought your Model S in 2013, the tax credit will apply to the taxes you owe in 2013. This means (I think) that you won't be able to claim the tax credit until April 2014 when you file your taxes for 2013. So you have plenty of time.

Do you have any idea what documents we need to substantiate the tax credit? When my car was delivered, the only document included was a folded "window sticker" in the glove box. I'd rather collect all necessary documents/forms now so that I'm not left scrambling this time next year.

Do you have any idea what documents we need to substantiate the tax credit? When my car was delivered, the only document included was a folded "window sticker" in the glove box. I'd rather collect all necessary documents/forms now so that I'm not left scrambling this time next year.

I'm an accountant, but I think all you need to do is fill out and submit IRS Form 8936 and submit it with your taxes.
If you are audited down the road, you'll presumably have to show the IRS your purchase agreement and proof of payment.
I'm not sure what else you would need.

Here's some info in regards to the Volt which should apply to Tesla as well:

Chevy Volt Federal Tax Credit Form 8936 (2013 Update) | MyChevroletVolt.com

When my car was delivered, the only document included was a folded "window sticker" in the glove box. I'd rather collect all necessary documents/forms now so that I'm not left scrambling this time next year.

Call ownership experience and request all the docs. I did when filling out my CA rebate and noticed that I didn't have the countersigned version of any of the docs we went through during deliver (including any copy of my due bill). In about 1 minute I had an email with everything.