Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealer pass through?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody that purchased their TESLA traded in their previous car for credit toward purchase in order to save the sales tax on the trade in value? If so, can you explain? Thanks

May be different, but I plan on doing exactly that in Canada. My car is to be delivered in a few weeks, and I e-mailed Tesla about my trade. I provided a bunch of details on the car, and they gave me a ballpark price. Closer to delivery, I'll take my car in for an assessment, arrange financing and so forth. The trade-in value will come off the before tax value of the transaction.

Well, I traded in my car for a credit towards purchase, but in California we don't get to adjust our sales tax. Pretty much what mknox said. I went through a web questionnaire about the car, and they gave me a price. When I said I was interested, they (AutoNation) arranged for somebody to come by the house and inspect the car. At the end of the inspection I signed the papers and gave them the title. My MVPA had the trade in price as a credit.