Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X towing ability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Bonnie. Lots of sun up here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. We're gonna cover the roof with panels. The X would be the perfect vehicle even with vastly reduced range due to towing the boat. The farthest boat ramp we use is probably 80 miles round trip. Would be great to have it up here and run it on sunlight. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

We've been talking about this as well. We currently have a Honda Pilot which does an excellent towing job. However, towing a 2600 lb boat kills range. The Pilot can get about 500km on the highway without a boat and only about 300km pulling a boat. The RPM goes from about 2000 to 3000 with the boat. We often go about 200km in the summer to the cottage. We would consider a Model X if it could make it at least one way with the boat.

I would imagine that a 85kw battery, pulling a very non aerodynamic boat at 100km/hr would decimate the range. Will wait and see.

So Elon did tweet quite a few months ago that the X would have more towing capacity than anything else in its class. And then that tweet was removed. So not sure if he was corrected by his folks or if they just didn't want that info officially out there on the record.

I have no doubt it will be able to tow. But I also don't know what type of impact that will have on range or what the maximum capacity will be. Tesla even sells a tow hitch for the Roadster, so the X will surely be capable and rated.

I bought the GO, with the assumption that the X will at least be able to match a Prius. I think that's a safe assumption. Beyond that, dunno.

Could this be a test mule for Model X towing capability? Anyone able to identify what's in the trailer to guess the weight?

Note the dealer plates and wheel sensors.

Tow capable Model S testing : teslamotors
Tow capable Model S testing - Imgur

e15WCWV.jpg

That's a UHaul (obviously) - the kind they usually equip with hydraulic brakes controlled by movement/load on the tongue.

I have no experience with the flatbed version, but the same dual axle setup as a box trailer had either a 3500 or a 4500 pound max trailer weight if I remember right.

With the manufacturer plates and sensors on all four wheels, it almost certainly is a developmental test, either for the Model X or for future trailer certification of the Model S.
Walter

That's a UHaul (obviously) - the kind they usually equip with hydraulic brakes controlled by movement/load on the tongue.

I have no experience with the flatbed version, but the same dual axle setup as a box trailer had either a 3500 or a 4500 pound max trailer weight if I remember right.

With the manufacturer plates and sensors on all four wheels, it almost certainly is a developmental test, either for the Model X or for future trailer certification of the Model S.
Walter
Looks like a 6x12 which has a max of 4400 lbs.

Why would they not be doing this with the Model X instead of an S?
just speculating... Maybe since it's likely the same skateboard and dual motors platform as the S. Perhaps easier to assemble as an S on the production line rather than "hand built" X parts for this specific testing. Maybe even an updated Dual Motor mule they could put together quickly and more easily. Or... even Model S will get this as an option too. So many possibilities!

Why would they not be doing this with the Model X instead of an S?
You are assuming that "they" (by which I assume you mean "Tesla") own that Model S and are using it for testing purposes.

That car could be privately owned and the owner configured it with a tow hitch and is using it to tow a trailer.

I can't make out the license plate in the photo to see if it is a manufacturer's plate or not. Can you?

Interesting. I went off to research how towing capacity is determined. It looks like there is no real requirement for the vehicle to tow any particular distance, just be able to accelerate at a reasonable rate, tow up a long incline, and do a boat launch procedure with the rated load.

Obviously those things were not being tested in this photo, so this must have been some range testing or testing the cooling system?

Or, is it possible that this was a hitch manufacturer doing testing, rather than Tesla?

Interesting. I went off to research how towing capacity is determined. It looks like there is no real requirement for the vehicle to tow any particular distance, just be able to accelerate at a reasonable rate, tow up a long incline, and do a boat launch procedure with the rated load.

Obviously those things were not being tested in this photo, so this must have been some range testing or testing the cooling system?

Or, is it possible that this was a hitch manufacturer doing testing, rather than Tesla?
Given that they have sensors on the wheels, my guess is that they are tweaking the TC, ESP, brakes, etc.

I think they are very obviously testing Model S tow capability in that photo, not Model X capability. I can't imagine the marketing motivations to avoid spy shots would outweigh the engineering motivations to test against production candidate cars, especially given that Tesla has already taken the X on public roads and spy shots already exist. I love /r/teslamotors, TMC, etc., but we are not that important and Tesla employees have better things to do than drive around in decoy vehicles to throw us off. Getting new cars and features perfect is more important than avoiding the occasional spy shot.