Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Paint Armor in GTA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a good place to get aftermarket paint protection film applied in the GTA, or more specifically Mississauga, Oakville or Brampton? I am looking at getting a full hood application done.

Thanks,

dj905

My car arrived without the Paint Armour applied and it was these people who Tesla Toronto brought in to install the Tesla kit after the fact:

(I hope it is okay to post their info)

Lorrie Knapp

Auto Trim & Signs of Niagara
94 Dunkirk Rd. Unit 5N
St. Catharines, ON L2P 3H4

p. 905.684.9432
f. 905.684.4133

Check out our NEW & IMPROVED website!
WELCOME - Autotrim Signs

The product they install is called "Stoneshield".

I have asked them about doing a full hood installation as I don't like the line that shows on the hood, especially when the car is a bit dirty.

Tesla Hood.jpg

Also, I am exploring the cost to do the doors as that is the area I am most worried about when I park the Model S near other cars. I hate the little scrapes and paint dings that can happen when inconsiderate people open their doors into the vehicle next to them.

All these protective films are expensive. A 24"x60" strip down the doors will cost about $600. And it will show the dirt just like the hood, so I am pricing the full door being protected. I haven't gone very far with this company yet as I will have to travel to them or pay them to travel from St. Catherines to Toronto.

I'm surprised the armor goes as far up the hood as it does. Most installations on other cars I've seen would go straight across from where the corner of the hood meets the headlight (i.e. about half as far up as on your car). That's where you're going to catch most of the bugs and stones.

I decided to go with Mike Willis of Protech Film Solutions in Oakville (Protech Film Solutions | Automotive Paint Protection Film and Window Tinting), based on some recommendations over on the BMW forums. I had him remove the factory paint armor on the hood and replace it with full coverage.

He did the work this morning, and the full coverage of the hood including wrap around means that it is now completely invisible, just like it was on my Roadster. I also saw some of his work on a new Infiniti, and it looked amazing.
Based on what I have seen, I would not recommend that future purchasers get the paint armor from Tesla. It seems that the aftermarket people do a much better job.

I am going to take it back to Mike soon and get the headlights and some other vulnerable areas covered.

David

IMG_00000302.jpg

I decided to go with Mike Willis of Protech Film Solutions in Oakville (Protech Film Solutions | Automotive Paint Protection Film and Window Tinting), based on some recommendations over on the BMW forums. I had him remove the factory paint armor on the hood and replace it with full coverage.
He did the work this morning, and the full coverage of the hood including wrap around means that it is now completely invisible, just like it was on my Roadster. I also saw some of his work on a new Infiniti, and it looked amazing.
Based on what I have seen, I would not recommend that future purchasers get the paint armor from Tesla. It seems that the aftermarket people do a much better job.

I've ordered the factory armor, and am expecting my car any day now, so it's too late for me to take your advice. Can you give us a ballpark of what the hood remove/replace costed?

It cost me approximately $300 for the hood removal and to replace with the full hood treatment. If you have already paid for it, you could do as I did.... get the kit installed by Tesla and then replace the hood, and add other pieces as desired.