Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Sensor Installation Stories & Pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrotoy

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2013
SF Bay Area
I just had parking sensors installed in my MS. They are Cobra 0356/0358 (different sets of 4 each which look identical for front and back) and Cobra 0026/0027 front and rear display units (again different but look identical). They are made in Italy and come from Great Britain. Thanks to Dennis, I worked with a local SF Bay area installer who ordered and installed them. Took a total of 16 hours of labor, plus painting to match the front and rear bumpers (2 black and 2 grey in front and 4 grey in back). In the photo of the front, there is a sensor in the grey to the right and in the black to the left. I think they are pretty well camouflaged. What we wanted were sensors which can tell us which side of the car the object is located as well as how far away. The inside display units are both the same shape and size and both have the lights which flash and sequence and change colors as you approach the object. The installer mounted the rear display just on the inside of the car before the hatch cover, so it is easily seen through the rear view mirror. We have parking sensors on our Lexus LS460L and for us (senior citizens) it is extremely useful. There are both visual and audio cues, with the audio signals getting more persistent the closer we are to the object. The whole thing, including installation and parts was slightly less than the cost of jump seats and paint armor from Tesla. So far they are working great. This was the only thing that was making us hesitant about buying the Tesla. PM me if you want more information about the installer who is in Hayward, CA.

Tesla Parking Sensor Front.JPG
Tesla Parking Sensor Back.JPG
Tesla Parking Sensor Front Inside.JPG
Tesla Parking Sensor Back Inside.JPG

I think your installation looks very good, as good as it could be, and you get a great practical benefit out of it. However, I never could stand the look of those little cutouts on any car, let alone nice looking expensive ones.

However, your installation does look very good. I like how the cutouts are small and they seem to be arranged symmetrically (another thing that really bothers me is when factory designed bumpers have the cutouts and they're not symmetrical).

This debate has been dredged up before. Driver-assistance features are no excuse to forgo learn proper technique, but what's wrong with an extra safety margin?

There are many situations where I would have welcomed parking sensors or 360 camera systems. Sure I managed to park just fine anyway, but these features would have made it quicker and more convenient, and again, the reduce the risk of damage to vehicles and other property, and that's a benefit to everyone.

Last edited:
Plus tax on the parts. So in CA a little less than the jump seats + paint armor.

I think that install is about as good you can get with that type of system. Another way to look at is to start with paint armor for $950 and then replace each strip on the front or rear bumper as they get scratched up, so you could replace it about 15 times ($100 each?). The parking sensors help prevent YOU from hitting someone else, but it doesn't prevent others from parking by feel with your car in front of or behind theirs.