Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

solution to mounting iPads in back of Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found a tidy way to mount iPads for rear seat passengers? Please forgive me if this has been addressed but I could not find anything or find a device on google that did not require a moveable headrest. It is for younger children on long car trips and before people get into the social issues, I am a bad parent that on long highway trips takes advantage of digital entertainment but doesn't want them holding the device. Thanks in advance.

Actually I was hoping to mount an ipad in the front of the car. If I forego the tech package, I was thinking with that $3750 I save I could just buy an ipad and use the turn by turn directions on that. Might look funny having an ipad right in front of that 17"

I've got one of these and have ordered another. It's going to need a slightly longer strap to fit the Model S headrest but it's Velcro and should be pretty easy to do.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-Cinema-Seat-iPad/dp/B0040IEIII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361951679&sr=8-1&keywords=cinemaseat+2

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'd think about doing something with Command picture-hanging strips. These strips are like Velcro but use the Command adhesive that can be removed without a trace. The trick would be getting the angle right on the back of the front seats.

Having used these Command velcro strips to hang several walls-worth of picture frames, I think that could be a great idea, as Robert noted the caveat would be finding a proper location / angle on the back of the seat (this will vary depending on the size of the passenger doing the viewing).

The velcro they use is very thick plastic, and when you push to attach you actually feel and hear it snap into place. This is NOT flimsy stuff!

Has anybody found a good solution to rear-seat ipad usage that puts the device BETWEEN the two seats. Headrest mounting doesn't work in this case (two kids watching one device). I thought of hanging a suction cup from the pano or sticking it to the center console where a hard glossy surface is revealed by sliding the armrests forward. This might do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Dashboard-Holder-Cradle-HLCRIO107/dp/B00BR3O4CE/ref=pd_cp_e_3

I hesitate because I don't know whether the size of the suction cup is too large for the area exposed by the armrests or whether the suction is enough to support hanging from the pano over a bumpy road. Any thoughts? Thanks.

To revive this old thread does anyone have a solution here for an iPad holder that sits in between the two front seats? Upcoming road trip so this is needed. Thanks!

Afraid not; I have a gen 1 and gen 2 iPad so we put one on each seat back. The kids can watch their own shows and headphones are always on so I don't need to deal with it. Some valuable accessories that made it easy for us:

Headrest Mounts
iPADKET

Wireless Hard Drive
Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB Portable Hard Drive

The latter is truly useful, allowing up to 3 users to stream video. I use with unprotected content. Instructions say it will work with DRM content as well but I haven't tested. There are 500 GB and 2 TB capacity drives available as well.

I'm also in the market for both rearfacing and frontfacing solutions to mount ipads(or any android tablet is that is the only option). So far the solutions out there are slim if any. The ipadket seems interesting, but official supplier doesnt ship to Norway. I am also a bit sceptical of the velcro-onlu approach...

Are any of the accessory-developers working on anything Tesla-ready here? And with safety in mind. An ipad flying through the cabin in a crash is a deadly weapon...

Sorry about the shipping issue.

The velcro is extremely strong and I use it to form a loop behind the sleeve that holds the iPad and it slides over the fixed headrest On the Model S. It's true, if the car flips, or has significant negative G, the mount will slide right off the top of the headrest but lateral force won't release the velcro attachment. The one I have (which is not the one linked to above) has a 3" wide strap that is completely covered with Velcro. It's difficult to release and I never do so since it simply slides on the seat.

Most mounts, unless they're integrated with the vehicle, will pose some sort of danger in certain types of crashes.

I mounted a steelie on the cross-member between the two glass panes in the roof. An iPad mini connects to that, it's high enough up that it's not visible in the rear view mirror for the driver, but both kids can see it, our 5 year old can reach it to control what they watch, and the audio comes through bluetooth to the main audio system.

Works well for us, mostly because we only want something like this in the car on the few occasions we're going on a long journey. The rest of the time it's not even there so the kids don't ask to use it.