Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i like the superchargers concept and this is one of the feature which led me to reserve my model S.

me and my wife thinking about any future possibility of Tesla E Stations in each city selling electric juice in faster speeds (similar to superchargers) for some kWh price would be great relief for all EV owners.

Or may be joint partnership with someone(existing or defunct gas stations) to host tesla supercharger infra to support us

what do you guys think?

This is much more likely to happen with generic DC charging (either CHAdeMO or J1772 DC) and an adaptor than there being third party Tesla specific DC chargers. Although I'm not sure why you say in the cities. You need to make sure that you're not stuck in the old "gas station fillup" model. Any charging station within 80 miles of your home is basically unnecessary. You can get there and back without charging at all, so who wants to spend even a short amount of time doing it.

You need to make sure that you're not stuck in the old "gas station fillup" model. Any charging station within 80 miles of your home is basically unnecessary. You can get there and back without charging at all, so who wants to spend even a short amount of time doing it.

It is not following "old model" or inventing "new model", all boils down to what makes sence.

right now i assume most of (may be all) the owners of tesla are homeowners and they have charge stations setup in thier garages. Think about from 2-3 years from now after the next tesla $30K model hits road. The owners need juice fast and for obvious reasons someone (with CHAdeMO) or tesla (with $upercharger) may come with bussiness plan to satisfy those crowd. BTW, not all renters will have faster charging at thier apartments to begin with, they need to go to faster charging stations to get the juice in 15-30 min is worth than spending 3 hrs at home...

comments... thoughts

It is not following "old model" or inventing "new model", all boils down to what makes sence.

right now i assume most of (may be all) the owners of tesla are homeowners and they have charge stations setup in thier garages. Think about from 2-3 years from now after the next tesla $30K model hits road. The owners need juice fast and for obvious reasons someone (with CHAdeMO) or tesla (with $upercharger) may come with bussiness plan to satisfy those crowd. BTW, not all renters will have faster charging at thier apartments to begin with, they need to go to faster charging stations to get the juice in 15-30 min is worth than spending 3 hrs at home...

comments... thoughts

OK, fair enough. In big cities you will have more apartment and condo dwellers, so it makes sense to have a charging infrastructure that suits them. I don't think these will be the Tesla proprietary supercharging, though. They will use one of the standards (I'm betting on J1772 DC, but it could be CHAdeMO). Whether the Gen III goes with a standard charging port or continues to use an adaptor remains to be seen, but either way it will work.

I like that idea, but most likely the stations will be either j1772 or CHAdeMO
limiting the connector to just one type of vehicle would limit their customer base, since there will be more leafs and volts on the road by then, and those cars would be the ones in need of a charge

comments... thoughts

I bet if you put one of these near Silicon Valley or San Francisco, you would get a LOT of business. There are tons of single tech workers with disposable income who would rather spend that income on a high tech car than a big house with a garage. I've been toying with the idea of getting an electric car for a while, but it wasn't practical when I lived in San Francisco and had to fight for street parking every evening when I would come back from work.

I'm also planning a road trip to Vegas soon after my car is delivered. The superchargers will get me there, but it sounds like the supply of public chargers within walking distance to the strip is pretty limited. So please put one of your stations at cities that are likely destinations for Tesla roadtrips as well :)

I bet if you put one of these near Silicon Valley or San Francisco, you would get a LOT of business. There are tons of single tech workers with disposable income who would rather spend that income on a high tech car than a big house with a garage. I've been toying with the idea of getting an electric car for a while, but it wasn't practical when I lived in San Francisco and had to fight for street parking every evening when I would come back from work.

I'm also planning a road trip to Vegas soon after my car is delivered. The superchargers will get me there, but it sounds like the supply of public chargers within walking distance to the strip is pretty limited. So please put one of your stations at cities that are likely destinations for Tesla roadtrips as well :)

Yep. this is really makes sense.