Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lowest performance threshold for p85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm due to receive my p85 mid march. Driving home today late at night in my range rover on a semi-empty highway I realized that I had driven about 150 miles today that included two trips to and from downtown Chicago and back to the suburbs. It struck me that most of those highway legs were driven at 90mi/hr on average... especially the last part when I just wanted to get home as fast as possible. I'm curious if I wasn't able to charge at any point today, would I still be able to drive at speeds of 90 mi/hr and make it home without any issues considering I'd put about 150miles on the car? The better way to put this would be "what's the lowest range anyone here with a p85 ever achieved due to performancev driving?" I know this is*counterintuitive since we mostly talk about maximizing range but I'd like to know what's the range for someone who is used to driving at consistently higher speeds, or basically drives like a lunatic :)

Kind of a lot of "depends" in there. I'd say that in general, yea, you'd make it 150 miles even with those speeds. More than likely if it looked like you were draining a bit faster you'd attenuate your speeds just enough to make it. But I think you'll be fine as wine with the 85kWh.

I was driving round trip to work Sunday at excessive speeds 90+ (and saw 4 people get pulled over on the round trip, none of them being me). My trip was about 35 miles at high interstate speed. About 3 miles of interstate at reasonable speeds (65-70), due to the po-po and traffic clumps. And about 13 miles of ~45-55 surface street. And about 3 miles of 25-40 surface street. My surface street action included a lot of pedal to floor, and brakes, as I was getting rid of some squeaks.

I averaged about 430 Wh/mile. It was particularly nice 60F and sunny, on my return trip, but about 40F on my trip in. I was probably burning about 460-480 Wh/mile on the interstate. Cold might put you at 500wH/mile. But even at that level you will get close to 140-150 miles, even on a standard charge. I think one would really have to try to get less than 150 miles out of a 85kWh pack standard charge.

I was driving round trip to work Sunday at excessive speeds 90+ (and saw 4 people get pulled over on the round trip, none of them being me). My trip was about 35 miles at high interstate speed. About 3 miles of interstate at reasonable speeds (65-70), due to the po-po and traffic clumps. And about 13 miles of ~45-55 surface street. And about 3 miles of 25-40 surface street. My surface street action included a lot of pedal to floor, and brakes, as I was getting rid of some squeaks.

I averaged about 430 Wh/mile. It was particularly nice 60F and sunny, on my return trip, but about 40F on my trip in. I was probably burning about 460-480 Wh/mile on the interstate. Cold might put you at 500wH/mile. But even at that level you will get close to 140-150 miles, even on a standard charge. I think one would really have to try to get less than 150 miles out of a 85kWh pack standard charge.

This is kind of the answer I was looking for, I don't see this being too much of a problem, I do however like to use "passing speed" for more than just passing, and hey, what's the point of getting the performance version if you can't use it right? :)

..mixed driving...
I averaged about 430 Wh/mile.
Man, I wish I could get that sort of efficiency with that sort of driving. ~430 is my norm and I drive a pretty consistent ~40mph for ~35 miles round trip to work and back. I've tried even using cruise control, completely babying everything and I still can't get under 400 Wh/mile. Temperate 45-50 degrees. The only thing is a 750 foot elevation hill between me and work.

Though, I suppose to the OPs question, yea, ~150 miles or so seems to be the bottom end of the range. You'd have to have some extreme conditions to do worse than that.

Man, I wish I could get that sort of efficiency with that sort of driving. ~430 is my norm and I drive a pretty consistent ~40mph for ~35 miles round trip to work and back. I've tried even using cruise control, completely babying everything and I still can't get under 400 Wh/mile. Temperate 45-50 degrees. The only thing is a 750 foot elevation hill between me and work.

Though, I suppose to the OPs question, yea, ~150 miles or so seems to be the bottom end of the range. You'd have to have some extreme conditions to do worse than that.

I have noticed a large temperature component to how much power I consume. But I have tried to see how much power I could use (without just going accell to brake on and off) and I have a hard time getting above 450wH/mile (mixed driving). I generally don't go more than about 5 over on surface streets. And very rarely go 10 over on surface streets (I have a few stretches where I make exceptions). Granted I have only had the car being driven once when it was below freezing, and my car is in a quasi-heated garage (it isn't insulated between my house and the garage). The speed limits on the local interstates on my commute are all 55mph. Traffic normally runs about 70-80mph in the left lanes. I normally cruise at 80-85. But often only about 30% or less of my commute is unencumbered. I get a pretty good draft other times as I am always overtaking.

This Sunday run was about 50% free of all traffic, about 30% with traffic but completely unencumbered. And about 10% slowed slightly stayed at ~80. And about 10% encumbered, and slowed. I only used my friction brakes twice, on the interstate round trip, both times due to police. And both times I only scrubbed to about 75 before letting off and just using regen.

I have found that when I never look at the power gauge I get much better efficiency I find trying to get at the coast point is worse than just maintaining a 'reasonable' speed.

wow, do I wish I could get away with driving that fast around here. you are fortunate to have this problem, there is just either too much traffic or you'd get nailed by a cop, pretty much for certain... I even get nervous with my short little jaunts at high speeds to show off the car. contemplating a road trip to visit my Aunt in Spokane and then heading on to Montana for some full "throttle" open road driving!

This is kind of the answer I was looking for, I don't see this being too much of a problem, I do however like to use "passing speed" for more than just passing, and hey, what's the point of getting the performance version if you can't use it right? :)

I have noticed a large temperature component to how much power I consume. But I have tried to see how much power I could use (without just going accell to brake on and off) and I have a hard time getting above 450wH/mile (mixed driving). I generally don't go more than about 5 over on surface streets. And very rarely go 10 over on surface streets (I have a few stretches where I make exceptions). Granted I have only had the car being driven once when it was below freezing, and my car is in a quasi-heated garage (it isn't insulated between my house and the garage). The speed limits on the local interstates on my commute are all 55mph. Traffic normally runs about 70-80mph in the left lanes. I normally cruise at 80-85. But often only about 30% or less of my commute is unencumbered. I get a pretty good draft other times as I am always overtaking.

This Sunday run was about 50% free of all traffic, about 30% with traffic but completely unencumbered. And about 10% slowed slightly stayed at ~80. And about 10% encumbered, and slowed. I only used my friction brakes twice, on the interstate round trip, both times due to police. And both times I only scrubbed to about 75 before letting off and just using regen.

I have found that when I never look at the power gauge I get much better efficiency I find trying to get at the coast point is worse than just maintaining a 'reasonable' speed.

This is actually very much along the lines to what my driving was like yesterday, way more than I usually do in terms of distance in one day... but it does happen so I wanted to know if i'd be safe and still got to enjoy the car in the left lane.

Just a note that I don't think the hill matters that much. I go from sea level to 1800 feet and back to sea level on my commute, and drive 55-70mph for 30 miles each way, but in California weather. I average about 335 wh/mile on the commute.

So I'm due to receive my p85 mid march. Driving home today late at night in my range rover on a semi-empty highway I realized that I had driven about 150 miles today that included two trips to and from downtown Chicago and back to the suburbs. It struck me that most of those highway legs were driven at 90mi/hr on average... especially the last part when I just wanted to get home as fast as possible. I'm curious if I wasn't able to charge at any point today, would I still be able to drive at speeds of 90 mi/hr and make it home without any issues considering I'd put about 150miles on the car? The better way to put this would be "what's the lowest range anyone here with a p85 ever achieved due to performancev driving?" I know this is*counterintuitive since we mostly talk about maximizing range but I'd like to know what's the range for someone who is used to driving at consistently higher speeds, or basically drives like a lunatic :)

I've been driving in our Chicago weather for 2+ weeks; just in time for all the snow. I've done multiple 100-120 mile trips on a standard charge, average temp 20-25, varying degrees of speed (75-80 on the highways, 45-50 on the major side streets); start from home with 235-240 miles and end up with 90-100 miles rated at the end of the day.

There is a chart for this... I think 150 miles is roughly at the limit of range for 90 mph.

It's the blog post on tesla motors. http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-efficiency-and-range

graph1.jpg

based on that chart you can pretty much extrapolate out it should be around 170 miles for 'no holds barred' type driving ;)

I've been driving in our Chicago weather for 2+ weeks; just in time for all the snow. I've done multiple 100-120 mile trips on a standard charge, average temp 20-25, varying degrees of speed (75-80 on the highways, 45-50 on the major side streets); start from home with 235-240 miles and end up with 90-100 miles rated at the end of the day.

Great! thank you, sounds like I'll have little issues even with the snow. Are you on 21 or 19in wheels? What's your car setup? I just got my VIN today!