Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 kWh Delivery Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GeorgeB

Tesla Motors VP, Sales & Ownership Experience
Jan 5, 2012
Hi all,

Thanks for the various notes I received about our comment in the recent shareholder letter regarding delivery timing of 40 kWh battery cars.

The confusion is my fault. When I reviewed the shareholder letter, I read the portions related to my area and not the final summary at the end. In the summary it said we would be delivering 40 kWh battery cars "later this summer." That is correct for those who place a reservation now, but not for those who already have a reservation.

40 kWh battery modules are on schedule to start phasing into battery production in March. They will work their way to the vehicle production line in April and will begin final assembly into cars by the end of April. Customer deliveries will begin at the end of April or the first half of May...not "later this summer."

Sorry for the confusion. This is a few weeks after previously stated, but not a 3 to 4 month delay as shown in the shareholder letter.

GeorgeB

Thanks, as always, for the clarification! I'm sure some may still be disappointed that there is a slight delay, but it is no where near the length of delay people were beginning to fear. Given all the logistical challenges of ironing out the supply chain and the newness of the manufacturing line, the slight delay is probably not surprising to most.

Thanks for the clarification. I was worried that a technical snafu might be causing the delay. Good to hear Tesla is just a few weeks behind schedule on ramping up the 40's. Looking forward to getting rid of our last ICE vehicle and go all Tesla, all electric.

I think that when we see the EPA rating for the 40, we'll know that it will go into production soon after that. We are 25% into March, I would expect to see the EPA rating soon.

- - - Updated - - -

So according to GeorgeB the "40 kWh battery modules are on schedule to start phasing into battery production in March.". After looking at the timings for the 60kWh, I saw that the EPA rating was released by Green Car Reports on 12/7/2012 and 23 days later, the delivery buttons started showing up (on 12/30/2012). So we are at 23 days right now to make 3/31/2013. I have a feeling that they are still running later than they think.

GeorgeB says "will begin final assembly into cars by the end of April". This means the earliest they will start shipping the 40kWh is early to mid May. Since I estimate there are at about 650 40kWh in front of me I am hoping TM builds more than 6 a day (about 10% of about 60 a day total production).

Hi,
I've been reading the posts for months, but never posted before. I have reserved a 40, but am waiting to finalize until I see some reviews by folks on this forum who receive theirs. I also would like to receive mine in Fall. Any tips for timing my finalization to do so?

I have read with interest the thread on buying a 40 w tech package vs a bare bones 60. (I am price conscious.) I have an 8-mile commute and do most of my driving locally. When I go to the mountains or ocean (180 miles to each) my SUV would be used for space and 4wd, so I'm leaning towards the 40. I'm not tall and think the back-up cam is a must bc visibility for me was not great during my test drive. But I'm open to ideas.

As introduction, I went to Toyota to buy a Prius Plug-in a few mo's ago. When I came home to research tax incentives, I found articles about the Model S and I can't get the idea of a green car that drives like a sports car out of my head bc I had previously resigned myself to never having a fun car! Off topic: I'm a mom to two little girls and my husband thinks buying this car is a bit crazy. :). (Any other young moms on here?)
I've seen 3 Ss in my area recently and had a chance to speak to an owner today who said his car exceeded his already-high expectations!

thanks!

Hi,
I've been reading the posts for months, but never posted before. I have reserved a 40, but am waiting to finalize until I see some reviews by folks on this forum who receive theirs. I also would like to receive mine in Fall. Any tips for timing my finalization to do so?

I have read with interest the thread on buying a 40 w tech package vs a bare bones 60. (I am price conscious.) I have an 8-mile commute and do most of my driving locally. When I go to the mountains or ocean (180 miles to each) my SUV would be used for space and 4wd, so I'm leaning towards the 40. I'm not tall and think the back-up cam is a must bc visibility for me was not great during my test drive. But I'm open to ideas.

As introduction, I went to Toyota to buy a Prius Plug-in a few mo's ago. When I came home to research tax incentives, I found articles about the Model S and I can't get the idea of a green car that drives like a sports car out of my head bc I had previously resigned myself to never having a fun car! Off topic: I'm a mom to two little girls and my husband thinks buying this car is a bit crazy. :). (Any other young moms on here?)
I've seen 3 Ss in my area recently and had a chance to speak to an owner today who said his car exceeded his already-high expectations!

thanks!

Hey Jenni, Welcome!

I am in a similar boat, though as a young father (a two year old and another on the way). I am also looking at the 40kWh as I am similarly price conscious and believe the 40 would meet my needs though I have about a 60 mile, round trip, commute (reeeeeeeally interested in seeing the final 40 kWh EPA numbers, will probably decide for me if I can put down a reservation for a 40 this year or if I have to wait to save up for a 60 + SC with the options I want). One of the main arguments that I've been using, with myself as well as others, centers around the rear facing child seats option. With this option selected and kids of an appropriate age in the picture the MS 40 becomes, I would argue, one of the cheapest 7 passenger vehicles* you can buy! This argument has several assumptions. 1) your going to hold onto the car for at least 8 years, 2) gas prices of about 4 dollars a gallon on average over that time period. Once you start adding in state and federal benefits, which for me included a $4k IL EV purchase incentive plus MUCH cheaper yearly registration fees, along with eliminating oil changes, and the savings in fuel costs, the total cost of ownership for a 40 starts to look awfully competitive with the Ford Flexs and Honda Odysseys of the world.

If you, or any one else or that matter, is interested in more detail I can link to the spread sheet that I've spent waaaay too much time poring over for the last year or so.

*assumes similar level of options selected

Hi,

thanks!

Hi Jenni,
My thoughts on your situation:
1. A 180 mile trip is rather pushing it even for a 60kWh pack. It doesn't leave any room for error. Unless you have a supercharger mid route it will be kind of inconvenient to charge along the way.
2. The features I like best from the tech package from an everyday usability standpoint are power liftgate and homelink garage door openers, and turn by turn navi. I haven't seen the non-tech package headlights or non-high def backup camera but hopefully they are adequate. The keyless entry hasn't been that useful because you need to be very close to the car before the door handles extend. Since the kids always run ahead of me I find myself clicking the key to unlock anyways. LED cornering lights are kind of nice. Convenience lighting is very nice.
3. We sprung for the rear facing seats for carpooling and for going out to eat with grandparents all in one car. The kids really like the car and listening to slacker radio (there's a "kids" channel so be prepared to listen to justin bieber, miley cyrus, high school musical, etc etc).

Given what you've written I think I'd recommend the 40 with tech package and splurge on the kids seats. Not sure what the production timing will be in the Fall as they will also be producing the European cars and all the various options (red, std suspension, 40's) then.

It is a bit crazy, but it comes with so much WOW!

Hi,
thanks!

I think waiting for the 40kwh EPA range and reviews is very wise.

You would not have been able to convince me of that last October, but 'tis true...

Jenni: Regarding the tech package:

Most people could live without most of the features of the tech package; almost all of them are replacaeable by, you know, lifting the liftgate yourself, using a garage door opener, pushing the unlock button on the key. They're "convenience" features.

I got the tech package for the one thing which *can't* be substituted for: I wanted foglights; we get fog pretty often, and I never want to drive a car without foglights in the fog again. It's pretty expensive for foglights though.

There is supposed to be a rear-view camera even if you don't get the tech package, it's just not supposed to be "HD". But you should check with Tesla about that before deciding.

So my view is, if you don't care about foglights, don't get the tech package.

As for buying the car as a mom with two kids? It's a *lovely* family car. Drives like a sports car... but rides like a "land boat"! Huge amounts of cargo space. Really wide back seat; fits five *comfortably*. Not crazy at all. Get your husband to take a test ride in one and show him how comfy and smooth it is.

Jenni:
I have had a 60kWh for 7 weeks and have put 2700 miles on the car. The 60 has been nice for the range extension, trips with our 3 kids. I live in Leesburg and have been able to drive to Charlottesville (200 miles) round trip in one day in cold weather with only plugging into a 110 outlet in C'ville, returning with 40 miles range to spare. I drove 240 miles to Virginia Beach (stopping midway at the Richmond Science museum to charge) and Philadelphia (used super charger!). I also have the tech package and agree with others that the features are nice but not essential. I would recommend putting the money into the battery. Having the ability to take road trips is great and I think the 40 would feel very limited in that regard. This car is awesome and will make your other vehicle seem sluggish and dated. You will EASILY make a 180 mile trip to the beach unless you drive like a maniac. On longer trips, scoping out an emergency midpoint charge option (there are more and more each month) helps avoid range anxiety. The long trips just take a little extra planning. You probably want to stop midway for something to eat etc and selecting a place that has a charger allows you to get some cushion. Lastly, the rear facing seats are fun, cool and add extra flexibility when toting the kids. Good luck with your decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Also check this out, an account of successfully driving 200 miles between the east coast superchargers to whet your appetite for travel in the 60kWh Model S.
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/milford-newark-de-60kw-battery

Hey Jenni,

I've got a non-Tech package car and have a standard def backup camera that works great. The HD camera may work better for night-time visibility but all around I'm happy not picking the tech package. All I really wanted in the Tech Package was the Navigation and I wasn't going to spend $3k+ for that. The 180-mile commute would be a stretch in the 60kWh when factoring temperature and elevation, unless there is a supercharger on the route. Using your SUV for those trips is a good idea.

If you're interested, a member mentioned a Tesla event happening in Bowie, MD on April 7:
Northern Virginia Model S Owners! - Page 2
I may show up to that w/ my son. If I do you're welcome to check out a non-Tech package car to help your decision making. I think the showrooms only have Tech package cars.

Hi, thanks for all the responses. As of Friday, I decided that I wanted my luxury car to have luxury features and that I rarely drove more than 30 miles at a time. I got all of my questions answered by a representative out in California on Friday and decided to wait one or two months to get official EPA testing and the like before configuring my 40. However I got the call today that today would be the last day I could configure a 40. At first, I was disappointed at having my hand forced for a configuration. However, I decided I really wanted this car with this range for this price and went ahead and configured. This evening I have spent over an hour reading all of the posts about how my 40 is actually going to be a 60, with Software limitations. This gives me the flexibility and peace of mind that I was hoping for. I am now very happy with my choice. And, I like the way that Tesla handled this. Also, I was told that it would be about five months until I took delivery. But after my configuration went into the system, I was told it would be May or June. We will see!

2/24/2103

40 kWh battery modules are on schedule to start phasing into battery production in March. They will work their way to the vehicle production line in April and will begin final assembly into cars by the end of April. Customer deliveries will begin at the end of April or the first half of May...not "later this summer."...
GeorgeB

35 days ago.

Makes one wonder how far they actually got before they decided to pull the plug.

However I got the call today that today would be the last day I could configure a 40. At first, I was disappointed at having my hand forced for a configuration. However, I decided I really wanted this car with this range for this price and went ahead and configured. This evening I have spent over an hour reading all of the posts about how my 40 is actually going to be a 60, with Software limitations. This gives me the flexibility and peace of mind that I was hoping for. I am now very happy with my choice. And, I like the way that Tesla handled this. Also, I was told that it would be about five months until I took delivery. But after my configuration went into the system, I was told it would be May or June. We will see!

That's great you were able to get the 40kwh before it ended!

Curious, you had a reservation and then someone at TM contacted you and said that today was the last day to finalize for a 40kwh? Or did they somehow know that you were on the 40kwh-fence?

May or June... That's the last I was told too, but things appear to have changed so who knows...