Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 to P85 - The Journey from sensible to HOLY ****

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a few months ago my journey into the world of Tesla began.

I started off thinking I would just get a 40 as I have never paid more than $21k for a new car. From a financial point of view buying a brand new car off the dealer's lot was about the worst investment you can make. But electric just seemed to be the way to go with the fuel savings and the "I'm a rock star" fun factor. So I got myself convinced on paper that the 40 was the most prudent thing to do. Then I realized how much more I could do with the car with the extended range of the 60. But wait, I could do so much more with a supercharger. I could make it from the SF Bay area to LA with a supercharger.

But hang on a second, for only $8k more I could get the 85 which included the supercharger and would give me even more range. So I settled on this idea for a little while as it seemed like the best way to go. Even after the battery degrades to 60% capacity in the years ahead, the 85 would still be a usable car whereas with the 40 or 60 I might be stretching with reduced range. So I was talking to one of the sales guys at the Menlo Park store yesterday and I told him that on my test drive the San Jose store only had the regular 85 and I had never had the chance to drive the P85. He smiled and said "um, there is a little difference. Do you have 30 minutes right now?"

I had a dinner date with friends in in 20 minutes but I said what the heck, let's just do it. I had been used to the joys of low end torque before as I have been driving diesels most of my life and the test drive of the regular 85 did bring a smile to my face but it certainly didn't just blow me away. I currently drive a 90hp VW Diesel station wagon and have always practiced frugality and sensibility.

Going from zero to OMG I am physically being assaulted by extreme G forces in a quiet neighborhood is now giving me second thoughts.

I have to hand it to Tesla's pricing structure in that each and every upgrade to the next level is "not that much more and makes a lot of sense"

The road to eternal financial damnation is paved with "it's not that much more and makes a lot of sense" statements. Thank you Tesla for testing my resolve!

Will I choose the road to financial damnation for the joys of acceleration felt by only by a handful of people since humans have walked the earth? Stay tuned.

Welcome to my world...although I started thinking about the 60.

My wife forced me to skip the P85 and go with the 85. Now I'm kinda wishing I had that P....

Grrr.. I only "need" the 60, but decided to get the 85 for a variety of reasons. But the P keeps cooing and batting its flippin lashes at me. The problem has only gotten worse over the months, which is unfortunate because I am still locked into my current vehicle for awhile. Probably I'll need to draw a pentagram and sacrifice some bunnies to find the strength to hold out and make a practical decision when the time comes.

So a few months ago my journey into the world of Tesla began.

I started off thinking I would just get a 40 as I have never paid more than $21k for a new car. From a financial point of view buying a brand new car off the dealer's lot was about the worst investment you can make. But electric just seemed to be the way to go with the fuel savings and the "I'm a rock star" fun factor. So I got myself convinced on paper that the 40 was the most prudent thing to do. Then I realized how much more I could do with the car with the extended range of the 60. But wait, I could do so much more with a supercharger. I could make it from the SF Bay area to LA with a supercharger.

But hang on a second, for only $8k more I could get the 85 which included the supercharger and would give me even more range. So I settled on this idea for a little while as it seemed like the best way to go. Even after the battery degrades to 60% capacity in the years ahead, the 85 would still be a usable car whereas with the 40 or 60 I might be stretching with reduced range. So I was talking to one of the sales guys at the Menlo Park store yesterday and I told him that on my test drive the San Jose store only had the regular 85 and I had never had the chance to drive the P85. He smiled and said "um, there is a little difference. Do you have 30 minutes right now?"

I had a dinner date with friends in in 20 minutes but I said what the heck, let's just do it. I had been used to the joys of low end torque before as I have been driving diesels most of my life and the test drive of the regular 85 did bring a smile to my face but it certainly didn't just blow me away. I currently drive a 90hp VW Diesel station wagon and have always practiced frugality and sensibility.

Going from zero to OMG I am physically being assaulted by extreme G forces in a quiet neighborhood is now giving me second thoughts.

I have to hand it to Tesla's pricing structure in that each and every upgrade to the next level is "not that much more and makes a lot of sense"

The road to eternal financial damnation is paved with "it's not that much more and makes a lot of sense" statements. Thank you Tesla for testing my resolve!

Will I choose the road to financial damnation for the joys of acceleration felt by only by a handful of people since humans have walked the earth? Stay tuned.

Join the club:)!

Grrr.. I only "need" the 60, but decided to get the 85 for a variety of reasons. But the P keeps cooing and batting its flippin lashes at me. The problem has only gotten worse over the months, which is unfortunate because I am still locked into my current vehicle for awhile. Probably I'll need to draw a pentagram and sacrifice some bunnies to find the strength to hold out and make a practical decision when the time comes.

Or you could be like a friend of mine, who when confronted with such temptation, responds with "you only live once". Or it's close cousin "you can't take it with you" :)

These of course are not arguments that will assist you in your attempst to be financially prudent.

When I purchased my Jetta back in 2000 I opted for the standard version instead of the 1.8T version saving just north of $1000 in the process. I ALWAYS regretted that decision and was determined not to make the same mistake again. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time, and I never want to regret not getting the version that I know I really want. My 3 hour old P85 is charging at the Gilroy supercharger at this moment and I regret nothing. :)

When I purchased my Jetta back in 2000 I opted for the standard version instead of the 1.8T version saving just north of $1000 in the process. I ALWAYS regretted that decision and was determined not to make the same mistake again. I plan on keeping this car for a very long time, and I never want to regret not getting the version that I know I really want. My 3 hour old P85 is charging at the Gilroy supercharger at this moment and I regret nothing. :)

Congrats! Enjoy the ride.

I tend to agree. If the finances won't break the bank and you think you may be kicking yourself down the road for not getting the P85 then go for it.

Or you could be like a friend of mine, who when confronted with such temptation, responds with "you only live once". Or it's close cousin "you can't take it with you" :)

These of course are not arguments that will assist you in your attempst to be financially prudent.

If it's financial prudence you're after, you can always repeat this mantra, instead: "You can only spend it once."

Hey joe12pack,

After 8 years of daily driving my 90hp '03 1.9L Jetta TDI Wagon, I've switched to the S85.
Prior to the TDI, I was driving an '85 300D (0-60mph in ~15sec).

After all those years of 'planning' my way through traffic, it's amazing and dangerous to be able to have so much freedom.

I now have a completely different relationship with yellow lights :)

I'm sure you'll be pleased with whatever choice you make.

To my recollection, Tesla has the only offering of "zero to OMG" without fretting over "~0 MpG while reaching OMG" for under $100k.

My next car will likely be a let-down unless Tesla delivers it.