Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS position Stuck?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I went to run some errands today. And just outside of my neighborhood my GPS position got stuck. It was pretty overcast, and an ATT dead spot so I figured that the GPS chip just lost a lock with some satellites. Well a couple of screen reboots. Checking on the phone app. And a good 6 hours later my car is apparently still in the exact same spot. In the middle of the road, and somehow plugged in and charging.

Not sure if anyone else has this problem. I'll report it to Tesla tomorrow if it doesn't fix itself.

My car has also been outside most of the day as I was running errands, and washing it outside. So it's not because it couldn't get a GPS fix.

Oh I am on 4.2 (42) software version.

The navigon also has me at the same stagnant wrong location. So it isn't a Google maps problem rather an actual GPS error.

My car was shipped with a disconnected and/or defective GPS antenna and the car always had "stuck" GPS (mine happened to be "stuck" in Menlo Park, CA). From my needing to reboot with a temporary fix (GPS antenna tucked under the dash until it could go to the service center), I found that it seemed to require a reboot of both instrument display and 17" screen (as if the GPS were connected to the instrument display computer).

The hardware could be "stuck" too and need a reboot, like the 3G radios that would get stuck in the early days. That might require a fuse-pull, but I'd save that until the service center suggested it.

Well I rebooted the dash display twice, the 17" screen twice, and both at the same time twice Saturday night. No dice. Drove a bit yesterday and still stuck in the same position.

I called Tesla this morning. They said there was nothing further that I could do (beyond resetting the displays). They are pushing a software update (I am on 4.2 / 42 right now) which should do a 'harder' reset. And if that doesn't work they can preform a 'harder' reset my car remotely than I can with the steering wheel buttons, but they would prefer if I took it to service if it isn't working after I do my update.

We will see. I have to say ever since I physically received my car Tesla support/service has been WAY beyond my expectations in helpfulness, and responsiveness.

Well they pushed a new firmware. I installed it while parked at work. (4.2 - 49). GPS position still stuck in the same position. I'll call Tesla back this afternoon and see if I can setup some service.

This whole thing is funny. I really don't us the nav, or maps much at all. But my location aware garage opener is something that I have already grown to miss.

AHHHH! What a PITA! My car is only getting worse!

I got an OTA update. To 4.2 version 49. Didn't solve my problem. Got a call from the Atlanta Service manager. He told me to I could pull a fuse to do a hard reset of the 17" screen, and thus the GPS chip.

It is this fuse, 20A Yellow(#51), under the passenger side fuse box. Which is located under the top plastic piece, closest to the windshield, in the frunk. Not all that hard to get to if you stand/crouch in the frunk.
WP_20130225_002.jpg

Pulled the fuse, surfed TMC for about 7 minutes. Went out and replaced the fuse. Now I don't have auto-tilt reverse mirrors any more. The option is no longer in my settings sliders! What is going on!

Tomorrow I'll call again and setup a real service/warranty visit. Hopefully I can get my auto-tilting mirrors back. Now backing into my garage is without position aware homelink button, and auto tilting mirrors to make aligning my passenger tires with the driveway extremely easy.

Is the little location icon lit up in blue or is it grayed out? If you uncheck it your position won't move.

No I toggled this on and off. My car was being placed on the road. I could move the maps around. Everything was working 100% properly. Except everything though my car was parked on the road.

Well after updating my firmware around 11am, and pulling the fuse around 1pm yesterday. And my car sitting outside for another 5 hours, then a 40minute drive home. My GPS position was still stuck in the same exact position. I had also lost my auto-tilting reverse mirrors. :frown:

Well this morning I got into my car, and my little homelink icon was still grey. Then I buckled my seat belt, and it turned to green, then my maps re-centered ON MY HOUSE! Hooray my GPS is now unstuck. Not sure what caused it but it is unstuck. Worked all the way to my work. The Navigation was also working. Everything seems back to normal ...

Except my mirrors no longer have a reverse position. Probably call Corporate Tesla about that one, I have a feeling it was removed with my 4.2 (49) update. Not sure why the auto tilt mirrors worked flawlessly for me.

Do you have a location identified in the field at the top of the navigation where you have an address listed? Mine was not tracking my location and I was wondering why. I went in this morning and deleted the location I had previously navigated to - it now reads: "Enter Address or Search", and it now tracks my location.

Do you have a location identified in the field at the top of the navigation where you have an address listed? Mine was not tracking my location and I was wondering why. I went in this morning and deleted the location I had previously navigated to - it now reads: "Enter Address or Search", and it now tracks my location.

My navigation/Google maps worked perfectly. It would track my (perceived) location. It would allow me to pan, zoom, even search for stuff. My car (the icon on the map) would not move. My wife's phone app had me in the exact same location, my wife's iPad app same thing. Navigation would give me guidance from that location properly. I entered and cleared that field about a dozen times.

What was wrong with the car was it didn't register where it was properly. It kept registering (or stopped registering and the car remembered the last location) the same location regardless of where it actually was.

All fixed now. I'll keep an eye on it. But I imagine I won't have this problem again.

Are you sure by pulling the fuse your auto tilt settings weren't just reset?

Did you try putting car in reverse and adjusting your mirrors down again? Pop it back into drive and the mirrors should go back up again.

By pulling the fuse You just hard reset the GPS (and any other system that fuse controls...possibly the auto tilt mirrors?).

Are you sure by pulling the fuse your auto tilt settings weren't just reset?

Did you try putting car in reverse and adjusting your mirrors down again? Pop it back into drive and the mirrors should go back up again.

By pulling the fuse You just hard reset the GPS (and any other system that fuse controls...possibly the auto tilt mirrors?).

Yeah I have tried resetting them, then setting them forward again, then trying the reverse setting again, then setting them back to forward. If I remember correctly there was a 'settings' button for auto-tilt mirrors also. I no longer have that button.

I was kind of on the fence about the auto-tilt mirrors anyway. I used them backing into my garage, and probably would have used them parallel parking, but rather disliked them reversing in other situations. I think having a downward looking passenger mirror, and a mostly upright drivers mirror would have been perfect though. I was giving both mirrors tilted a chance, for me to get used to it, before I started trying other setups.