Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to find an apartment that will allow EV charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cousin is will be taking delivery of his Model S next week (he's a few weeks ahead of me), and at the same time he will be moving to the San Mateo - Redwood City area here in the SF Bay Area. He's looking to rent an apartment. Does anyone have suggestions for how to find a place that will either have EV charging already installed or will allow him to install a NEMA 14-50 for his own use? Do the newer apartment communities tend to offer this as an amenity?

I don't know of any way other than to ask and then inspect (as the person you talk to may not have correct information). There are a few places putting in EV charging places but not many. Sometimes you may be able to pay to put one in--usually at a premium price.

I know my apartment expressly forbids EV charging. When I get mine later this year, it will be a nice case study on the need for urban charging infrastructure. Thankfully my office has charging and so does the public library which is about a mile away.

I know my apartment expressly forbids EV charging. When I get mine later this year, it will be a nice case study on the need for urban charging infrastructure. Thankfully my office has charging and so does the public library which is about a mile away.

Of all the "inconveniences" about EV's....charging completely becomes a non issue once you have a 240V 50A charger at home. I have crappy 120V 12A at work and charge b/c it's available (and b/c its free) but I really don't need to with a charger at home. I plug in when I'm at home and I wake up w/ a full charge. This is where an electric car just shines. Haven't been to a gas station in months!!! I know the department situation makes it difficult but try and find a way. Once you get home charging you are truly liberated! (Liberated from gas stations...and liberated from electric charging stations!!!!).

You'll want to stick to more downtown like areas and rely on the city garages for charging. Or rent a spot. I'd start by cross referencing prospective apartments with recargo and other charging maps. For example, downtown palo alto has free chargers and free parking in there from 5pm-8am.

Some apartments may have actually been forward-thinking/smart enough to actually get Blink or Chargepoint stations installed. So, you might be able to find some by checking the Blink or Chargepoint maps to see if any are at apartment complexes. I know there are at least a couple (though not many) here in the PHX area.

- - - Updated - - -

Of all the "inconveniences" about EV's....charging completely becomes a non issue once you have a 240V 50A charger at home. I have crappy 120V 12A at work and charge b/c it's available (and b/c its free) but I really don't need to with a charger at home. I plug in when I'm at home and I wake up w/ a full charge. This is where an electric car just shines. Haven't been to a gas station in months!!! I know the department situation makes it difficult but try and find a way. Once you get home charging you are truly liberated! (Liberated from gas stations...and liberated from electric charging stations!!!!).

Well, I thnk all EV owners would love this. But of course if you rent or live in a condo, it may not be easy (and in some case like mine, downright difficult) to get the installation of an outlet or charge station approved.