Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water condensation in tail light trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my model delivered yesterday in Chicago and I'm really happy with it. It's a fantastic car and
it's getting lots of interested looks and comments when I drive it around.

The only minor issue I noticed was that both tail lights had some water drops condensing
on the inside surface of the plastic. The delivery guy said this was normal and it would
go away. Has anyone else had a situation like this and if so has water in fact disappeared?

I got my model delivered yesterday in Chicago and I'm really happy with it. It's a fantastic car and
it's getting lots of interested looks and comments when I drive it around.

The only minor issue I noticed was that both tail lights had some water drops condensing
on the inside surface of the plastic. The delivery guy said this was normal and it would
go away. Has anyone else had a situation like this and if so has water in fact disappeared?
I'm in Chicago too. Have we met? Member of "TOI" below? PM me?
Anyway; I've had mine 2 weeks ... same thing. After washing. Chris at Chicago Service Center I thought said he was maybe going to replace a light cover?
I have to bring it in for other minor service.

I'm in Chicago too. Have we met? Member of "TOI" below? PM me?
Anyway; I've had mine 2 weeks ... same thing. After washing. Chris at Chicago Service Center I thought said he was maybe going to replace a light cover?
I have to bring it in for other minor service.

I haven't been to any of the Chicago Tesla meetups yet and didn't know about the Tesla Owners Illinois group - I'll check it out.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having the rear taillight with condensation replaced, as it apparently has a bad seal. Service center called me to bring it in yesterday, but I had a funeral to go to. It has had condensation for nearly a month now.

Sounds like for some people it's gone away and others like you it hasn't - I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Have condensation in one of the backup lamps. Local Service Center says they'll replace the seals when I bring in the car. Because I haven't had any major problems - probably won't do that until the due bill items are in...

I have the same problem as bob_p, condesation in one of the back up lamps that never goes away, ever.

However, I've been told that it can't be fixed until they get a better part made from a supplier and have it distributed to the service centers.

We've had this problem a few times. When we picked up the car in Dec. it was raining and we quickly noticed the condensation.
We took it to the service center and they replaced the seals. They said this was happening on many cars. Then it didn't rain for several weeks.
When it rained again recently there was new condensation inside the reflectors. I think they need to figure this out and get it fixed.
Especially if, even after repair, it still happens.

We've had this problem a few times. When we picked up the car in Dec. it was raining and we quickly noticed the condensation.
We took it to the service center and they replaced the seals. They said this was happening on many cars. Then it didn't rain for several weeks.
When it rained again recently there was new condensation inside the reflectors. I think they need to figure this out and get it fixed.
Especially if, even after repair, it still happens.

I believe it's been stated that new seals are being designed and will be pushed out when ready.

Okay, so I washed my car today and had water in both tail lights. Is that a normal thing or is it something that I need to have dealt with? I can't tell from reading the posts here.

Needs to be dealt with, but there is no point until the service centres have the new seals (as it will just happen again). Call service to report it though so that you will be put on the list.

I noticed condensation in the left backup light immediately upon delivery Jan 21st. I have been bugging Tesla to get this fixed (the condensation is not going away). I have been told the seal is prone to folding over upon installation. I live in Westchester County NY and the Telsa guys are so busy delivering cars it is hard to get any priority on this. I also want my parcel shelf which I hear they are getting delivery of. This is the only defect my car had upon delivery so not so bad.

I had this issue too. The ranger was surprised given my vin (5776). He said they changed the sticky tape that is used after a few thousand cars. Mine still had the issue. He pulled the chrome plastic piece off (sticky tape around the lenses, clips in the middle). Cleaned it all and replaced the tape with a new tape-gasket, and re-installed. He said he has done a few of these, and they break during take-off half the time and need a new part ordered. I got lucky =no breakage. Here is a cell phone photo of the part off because I know everyone loves photos :)
condensation.jpg

And a photo from the forum of what the condensation looks like...

Attachments

• condesation.jpeg
    condesation.jpeg
    822.8 KB · Views: 613
Coincidentally I was at Tesla today and mentioned the condensation; they were kind enough to take some time out and fix it on the spot (it takes about an hour to clean the old glue off and put a new seal on). It is exactly as *rekoh* posted above but worth noting is that the condensation is NOT inside the taillight, it's actually water between the chrome applique and the taillight housing. There's no need for that area to be water-tight and it dries out very quickly, seems the early cars suffer much more from visible condensation than the newer cars.

The taillights are a sealed unit and there's no worry about water damage or lights shorting.