Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMo Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They also say "Tesla, which uses its own proprietary “Supercharger” technology for fast direct-current (DC) charging, has also produced an adapter to go with the SAE’s enhanced J1772 specification." I would assume the "enhanced J1772 specification" is the frankenplug. I've been seeing dual CHAdeMo/SAE J1772 DC charging stations popping up.

I'm assuming you're asking about the Dual chargers. Here is a picture of one in Picacho, AZ:

P1010030.JPG

Opening ceremony pictures

Well, the good news is that Tesla seems to keep up and provide adapters. I wonder if in 5 years or so, they'll cave in and put those connectors on all their cars? On a selfish level, I hope not. I prefer Tesla's sleek solution, and carrying around adapters really isn't all that inconvenient to me.

I'd much rather have chademo through an adapter, as the standard signals on the CANbus, and knowing an adapter is in there providing a firewall for potential viruses is a happy thought. I shudder at the thought of chademo native car letting the charging station talk directly on it's own bus without a firewall. Ugh.

I'd much rather have chademo through an adapter, as the standard signals on the CANbus, and knowing an adapter is in there providing a firewall for potential viruses is a happy thought. I shudder at the thought of chademo native car letting the charging station talk directly on it's own bus without a firewall. Ugh.

The Leaf has a separate CAN-bus for quick charging. No need to grant access to the main bus.

They also say "Tesla, which uses its own proprietary “Supercharger” technology for fast direct-current (DC) charging, has also produced an adapter to go with the SAE’s enhanced J1772 specification." I would assume the "enhanced J1772 specification" is the frankenplug. I've been seeing dual CHAdeMo/SAE J1772 DC charging stations popping up.
Nice that it's popping up in AZ too. In CA, the CARB has a mandate for dual plug stations and we should see at least 200 of them installed by eVgo.

funny to see FUD used against a charging technology in a BEV forum :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the good news is that Tesla seems to keep up and provide adapters. I wonder if in 5 years or so, they'll cave in and put those connectors on all their cars?
I hope so... IMO it's silly to put any barriers in the way of a BEV that needs a charge.

Nice that it's popping up in AZ too. In CA, the CARB has a mandate for dual plug stations and we should see at least 200 of them installed by eVgo.

My understanding from working with them is that they will install one Chademo DC FC initially at the California Freedom Stations, and then when the agreement clause kicks in about two vendors offering combo plug chargers, then they'll add one of those to the pre-plumbed connection at each Freedom Station. They're not planning on doing dual plug stations...

My understanding from working with them is that they will install one Chademo DC FC initially at the California Freedom Stations, and then when the agreement clause kicks in about two vendors offering combo plug chargers, then they'll add one of those to the pre-plumbed connection at each Freedom Station. They're not planning on doing dual plug stations...
Here's the exact wording from the filed Settlement Agreement:
Initially all Freedom Stations shall have one
(1) or more DC Fast Chargers compatible with the CHAdeMo
Standard and one (1) Level 2 Charger compatible with the SAE
Standard. Upon the occurrence of (A) approval by SAE for a
charger standard for DC Fast Chargers and (B) the commercial
availability from at least two (2) unaffiliated manufacturers of one
or more DC Fast Chargers that are SAE Standard compatible or
equipment capable of making the Freedom Stations’ DC Fast
Chargers compatible with both the SAE Standard and the
CHAdeMo Standard (and in each case that are approved by the
Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories), then NRG shall have
six (6) months to complete the modification of all installed
Freedom Stations to include at least one (1) SAE Standard
compatible DC Fast Charger and one (1) CHAdeMo Standard
compatible DC Fast Charger or one (1) CHAdeMo+SAE DC
Charger. Thereafter, all newly installed Freedom Stations will
have at least one (1) DC Fast Charger that is SAE Standard
compatible.

Hopefully when they get those commissioned that they install proper signage and paint the parking spaces green to prevent ICEing. The second picture shows that this will certainly happen. The Volt only has a J1772, the Polaris and the Exploder are both gassers.

There are already LOTS of CHAdeMO chargers about every 40 miles on many of the highways here in WA as well as OR as a part of the "green highway" and I am told in much of Europe and Asia as well. They are in public lots by burger stations, etc, and available 24/7. Being able to access them, instead of just the slow speed adapters included with my car would make trips to the airport / city, etc infinitely more convenient. In speaking with Tesla customer support last week, I was told that "there are no current plans to create a CHAdeMO adapter for the S" in spite of the enormous benefit that it would provide for people like me that have a CHAdeMO infrustructure already in place. He took my VIN # and submitted a request in to his superiors to consider it's development. He told me that the more people that placed such a request, the more influence it would have on Tesla. If you are reading this thread and want Tesla to create a high speed (ChAdeMO) adapter, please call customer service (877-798-3752) and request that they prioritize it. Better yet, if you have any influence (?tweet-o-sphere; publishing, etc) do whatever you think might help this effort along.