Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some searching and browsing in the forums and I don't see that anyone's asked this already...

I know that the Tesla UMC and the HPWC connectors can pop open the charge port door with the press of the button. I was wondering why Tesla didn't put a similar button on the J1772 adapter, and since they didn't, is there a way to figure out how to get one on there?

I'm not sure how it's talking to the car -- does anyone know? Is it simply a magnetic pulse or something like that?

I'm going to have a HPWC in the garage, but a J1772 at work, so I'd love to be able to figure out a way to put a button on the adapter...

Any brave soul taken apart the UMC yet? :)

It's 315MHz - 10 pulses of 165ms on and 35ms off as determined from a little poking around with my RTLSDR. I realized after I found that that I don't have the right transmitter module on hand (have 433 MHz), but it should arrive after I get back from Tahoe next week and hopefully I can try it then.

It's 315MHz - 10 pulses of 165ms on and 35ms off as determined from a little poking around with my RTLSDR. I realized after I found that that I don't have the right transmitter module on hand (have 433 MHz), but it should arrive after I get back from Tahoe next week and hopefully I can try it then.
It would be nice to have the J1772 adaptor, once plugged into a J1772 cable, issue this same pulse on command.

Wow, I'm impressed that you were able to find this. I'm assuming a PAL + some radio circuitry could be programmed to do this, but as markb pointed out, it would take power. But doesn't the control pin have +12V at all times? I know this is likely a big project, but I think an adapter with a button would likely be quite popular.

I'm happy to know the app has a button to pop the door though! I get my car next week, so I'm not able to verify that at the moment...

That already exits. Look on the charge page in the upper right corner.
Are you talking about the smartphone app? I assume so (dont have a car yet), but the screenshot on iTunes for the app shows "Stop charging" in that space. maybe because the screenshot was taken while the car was charging. Does it say "open charge port" when it isn't charging?

Or are you talking about the in-car dash app?

Are you talking about the smartphone app? I assume so (dont have a car yet), but the screenshot on iTunes for the app shows "Stop charging" in that space. maybe because the screenshot was taken while the car was charging. Does it say "open charge port" when it isn't charging?

Or are you talking about the in-car dash app?

The phone app has three buttons. If you are not plugged in it has a 'open charge port' button. If you are plugged in it has 'start charging' or 'stop charging' based on the current status of charging.

Only one is shown at any given time.

I would like the mobile app to have an "Unlock charge port" button, so when I'm done charging I don't have to go into the car to unlock it and be able to take it out of the charge port. Or maybe I am missing something, because this is annoying when I am using a ChargePoint station and I want to be able to pull the cord after I wave my card in front of the station reader.

I would like the mobile app to have an "Unlock charge port" button, so when I'm done charging I don't have to go into the car to unlock it and be able to take it out of the charge port. Or maybe I am missing something, because this is annoying when I am using a ChargePoint station and I want to be able to pull the cord after I wave my card in front of the station reader.

I used the "unlock charge port" button from the mobile app just yesterday when using a ChargePoint station.

When you stop the charging on the station, then "stop charging" on the phone turns into "unlock charge port".

No app needed. When I disconnect my J1772 from the S adapter, the charge port unlocks for a few seconds, and I can pull out the S adapter. (This also works when the car is locked and the fob nowhere to be seen.) After a few seconds the locking pin pops back up again, so you can't reinsert the adapter if you happen to have pulled it out accidently.

Looks like there's some modulation on the "on" pulses that I was filtering out before with too aggressive of a low pass filter (whoops). Hopefully that won't take too much more time to figure out