Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any thoughts on the seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the quality of the leather, and the seat heaters work well. But I don't find the seats very comfortable overall--if I drive for over 30 minutes, I tend to get a butt-ache. It seems the seat is relatively hard, and it's flat, with little side bolstering.

I got into my old Audi S8 today, and was reminded of how good the seats are in that car. I think the difference is that it feels like sitting *on* the seat in the Tesla, and *in* the seat in the Audi.

What are your thoughts on the seats--do they work well for you?

I've been ok on the 2-hour Portland->Eugene (and the reverse). They aren't cushy, I've been in nicer seats in less expensive cars, but they're not bad.

+1 for the "in" vs. "on". I think that's a pretty apt description.

They work great for me; although I'm not very picky about seats. I'm happy with the Roadster seats too and a lot of people complain about those.

More important is that they work well for my wife - she has back spasms and is VERY picky about car seats - car purchase decisions in the past have hinged on her sitting in it. I was quite nervous about buying the car for her, and about the 3,000-mile trip we recently took in it. But she has been extremely happy with the seats. She still prefers her all-time favorite from a 1995 Volvo sedan, but the Model S is her runner-up.

I used to fly a lot, mostly up at the pointy end, but commuting to and from Miami was a big part of it. For you pilot types, this may be familiar. My boney butt can't stand 30 minutes riding on an MD-80. Those are the most uncomfortable seats ever. Hard to believe people pay good money to fly on them. When I do fly, I make point of avoiding the MD-80 whenever possible. In comparison, the seats in the Model S are as comfortable as any I've ridden in (on?). Four hours has been the longest of my trips in a Tesla but there have been no complaints.

I guess there are as many backsides as there are Model S owners and as such will produce just as many opinions on comfort. So that's my 2 cents.

From taking the wife along for the first time on an overnight trip this past weekend, her biggest complaint was that she couldn't find a comfortable way to sit up front and take a nap.

Having taken longer solo trips with extended layovers at 30A chargers, while the front seat isn't the best for napping, it sure beats trying to lay across the back seats!

Wasn't there some car a few years ago that had some sort of tent-like attachment for the trunk? Guess with something like that and an air mattress, the trunk could be quite comfy!

Wasn't there some car a few years ago that had some sort of tent-like attachment for the trunk? Guess with something like that and an air mattress, the trunk could be quite comfy!

That was the Pontiac Aztec! Butt ugly car, but clever idea.

images.jpg

Bolstering or lack thereof is my only complaint too. When taking a sharp freeway on ramp at a good speed, I'm resorting to turning my left knee towards the door and propping it there to avoid sliding around in the seat.

And, yes, tilting the front of the seat up helps with the thigh support a fair bit. It can only go so far though before the steering wheel gets in the way, sort of.

Like so many things in the car, play around with the adjustments, you might be surprised. I was surprised to find that the low back support helped me a lot. Cushioning has it's pros and cons, what is not firm enough to one is too firm for other's tastes. The car has a certain zen post modern minimalist decor, it's a style thing, I like the contrast to the ultra high end interface and performance. the only thing I'm still trying to get used to is where to put my right leg. it really wants something to rest against that comes out off the lower dash area and into the console more.

I love the car but have to agree after over 11,000 miles in under 3 months the seats are firm! On long trips they have definitely resulted in a sore bottom also the seat bottom side bolsters are hard and that has resulted in a sore hip bone.

I have to confess that I caved in and purchased a wedge cushion and have been much more happier since. The seat is narrow at the bottom so I had to purchase the "Compact Mini Tush Cush" but the beige matched my seats exactly; without it I wouldn't have enjoyed the miles nearly as much.

I like my front seats quite a bit.
I thought the Lexus(LS) seats were nicer and cushier but now that I have adjusted my S seat, it is almost perfect. My front is up all the way and the back down all the way with the seat vertical enough that my head is ~4-6" from the headrest. Lumbar is set pretty low, maybe just under 1/2 way up and extended almost all the way out but not quite. During my first couple of 300 mile trips I had the seat back laid back too far and did get a tiny sore. The way I have it now keeps my butt and back fine. oh, 5'10 ~ 170lb

I love the car but have to agree after over 11,000 miles in under 3 months the seats are firm! On long trips they have definitely resulted in a sore bottom also the seat bottom side bolsters are hard and that has resulted in a sore hip bone.
So you have uncovered the master plan -- by making the seats a bit uncomfortable, one is happy to take a long break every 2.5 hours to stretch. Oh, and might as well charge while you're stretching!

Having taken longer solo trips with extended layovers at 30A chargers, while the front seat isn't the best for napping, it sure beats trying to lay across the back seats!

I got a couple of camping air mattresses for a planned Olympia to Vegas trip this summer. I'm 5'11" and 180lbs and I was able to lie down lengthwise in the back with rear seats folded and not hit my head against the front seat or touch the trunk lid with my feet. Very comfy!

I'm 6'2" and I find the seats comfortable overall, however, I cannot get a comfortable position without my right knee being in contact with the lower edge of the display's console. I find that I sort of have to perform kugel exercise ("clench" my buttox ) to keep my right knee from pressing into the console. Like others, raising the front portion of the seat helps, but another inch or two would help prevent the clenched buttox syndrome.

BTW, if you have the tech package, even if you don't plan to use it for this purpose...

It's definitely entertaining to make a "Nap" driver profile with the seat as flat as it goes and the steering wheel as distance as possible.

I've used it twice already for napping at charging locations.