Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Was just looking at the (Canadian) Options and Pricing page and noticed that the Tech Package now mentions LED Cornering Lights, but no longer has any reference to the Fog Lights (that I'm pretty sure were there before).

I recall another thread where someone seemed to have "discovered" that their car had these cornering lights, but my question is, are the fog lights now gone?

Was just looking at the (Canadian) Options and Pricing page and noticed that the Tech Package now mentions LED Cornering Lights, but no longer has any reference to the Fog Lights (that I'm pretty sure were there before).

I recall another thread where someone seemed to have "discovered" that their car had these cornering lights, but my question is, are the fog lights now gone?

Nope. The fog lights are still there. I'm not sure why they put that there but I have fog lights and cornering lights. FYI the American Options and Pricing page looks the same.

You can see the discussion here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-updated/page8?p=274915&viewfull=1#post274915

Thanks. I missed that discussion.

I had thought that the fog and cornering lights were in the same assembly, but that there were two distinct bulbs. I think there is still a Fog Light setting in the control screen, right? Is it that you can turn on both fogs with that setting, but if they're off one or the other fog light will come on when you turn (and not a separate bulb)?

The cornering lights and the fog lights project different light onto the road. I haven't looked at the front of the car with these lights on but I have driven with the fog lights on, and you can see the cornering lights turn on and off while turning the wheel.

I expect there are 3 distinct lights. Led accent lighting. Led foglamp (I can see this one it is seperate). Cornering lamp.

Okay, sounds like mknox is correct, then, the fog lamp assemblies must contain more than one bulb.

Odd then that the Options & Pricing page would drop the reference to Fog Lights (unless they actually have dropped fog light bulbs). You'd think Tesla would want to show more, not fewer things in the list of items for that particular $4,000 CDN package.

Had a look at the car in the Toronto store yesterday. It looks like there are three lamps: fog, cornering and a strip of what I assume is accent lighting in the assembly. Still wonder why they dropped the reference to fog lights and wonder if this assembly has been changed to exclude the fog light component.

I posted a diagram some time ago, showing the arrangement of the lights. Here it is again...

IMG_1207.jpg

I should have taken a picture, but I'm pretty sure the car in the Toronto store looks different. There was definitely some sort of accent light that runs vertically from top to bottom on the outboard edge of each assembly.

I trimmed the picture, but yes, it has a curved LED light pipe at the outer edge as well. This lights up with the main headlamps.

Tesla-Model_S_2013_1600x1200_wallpaper_15.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. I can see the physical location of the fog lights on my car, and it looks like the whole. I can't, however, tell whether they're actually working (....short of waiting until there's fog and then going out.) The touchscreen thinks I have fog lights, but if I turn them on (with the headlights on), nothing visible happens.

How do I tell whether I really have fog lights or whether I don't? I would be *ticked* if I didn't, given that it's the main reason I bought the Tech Package, and that they *appear* to be present.

Interesting. I can see the physical location of the fog lights on my car, and it looks like the whole. I can't, however, tell whether they're actually working (....short of waiting until there's fog and then going out.) The touchscreen thinks I have fog lights, but if I turn them on (with the headlights on), nothing visible happens.

How do I tell whether I really have fog lights or whether I don't? I would be *ticked* if I didn't, given that it's the main reason I bought the Tech Package, and that they *appear* to be present.

On my car, turning on the fog lamps creates a clear difference on a dark wall. They produce a light on the road and you can see where the two lamps cross each other, and that goes away when you turn them off. Get someone to help you - turn on the fog lamps and then turn them off to see if they switch.

So that begs the question whether my soon to be delivered (March 7-21) car will have them. They were an advertised component of the Tech Pkg when I ordered my car...

Picked my car up today, and the touchscreen still has the fog light setting. I can definitely see the cornering lights work at night. I asked my DS about this and he said something like they were told to stop referring to them as fog lights.