Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion: 'Sport' Range Display Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ben W

2008 Roadster, 2017 M3, 2022 MY
Feb 27, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
I had a thought for future versions of the Model S firmware. Also sent this to Tesla directly.

Currently, the Model S offers two choices for Range readout: "Ideal" (based on constant 55mph in perfect conditions), and "Rated" (based on the EPA driving cycle). These yield maximum ranges of 300 and 265 miles respectively.

However, no one in practice (really no one!) ever comes close to the "Ideal" efficiency; it's a fairly useless option, except possibly for marketing. I also doubt that many drivers come close to the "Rated" efficiency; in four months of Southern California driving, I've consistently averaged 372 Wh/mi, about 85% of 'Rated'. Some might, but fairly few.

So I'd like to propose that there be a third Range readout option, labeled 'Sport', which would always show 85% of the 'Rated' mileage: for the 85kWh battery, that's roughly 225 miles with a 100% charge, or 200+ miles with a 90% charge. This would be a much better match for real-world driving under typical conditions, and would provide an estimate that could realistically be matched or beaten with "ordinary" driving. (A/C on, a few MPH above the speed limit, etc.) It would be refreshing to look at the driver display and see "150 Miles", and know that I can actually drive 150 more miles in my usual semi-aggressive style, rather than having to constantly do the arithmetic in my head: "It shows 180 miles, so that's really 150 miles", which makes me feel like I'm perpetually losing the battle. Note that the 'Projected' range doesn't quite accomplish this, because it requires continually remembering how I've driven the past 30 miles.

It might also shut up reviewers too; rather than the current incessant whining about how the Model S doesn't quite live up to its 'Rated' range numbers, Tesla could be the first electric car company to get a a review like this: "The readout showed 160 miles remaining in Sport mode, and we were able to achieve this distance easily, and then some!" I don't think the option would result in a negative backlash, or suggestions that "Hey, the real range is only 225 miles", because the 'Sport' label clearly indicates that it is meant to refer to somewhat aggressive driving and conditions, not EPA conservative driving.

Finally: having "Ideal" / "Rated" / "Sport" for range readout options would loosely mirror the current steering options ("Comfort", "Standard", "Sport"), so it already has precedent in the UI. It also somewhat resembles the "Range / Standard / Performance" modes of the original Roadster.

So, do you all think this is a good idea? Would you use this? I would. :)

I like that idea, but I would have it more of a 'personal' range. And you input whatever Wh/mile number you want. That way you could adjust to what type of driving, and what weather you are expecting. Maybe offer some presets like 350, 375, and 400 Wh/mile push buttons.

I believe it does, but not in the center of the speedometer. I think it only shows "Rated" or "Ideal" there... estimated ("Projected") only shows on the far right of the energy display on the center console and maybe on the energy display next tot the speedometer.

Does Model S not show "Estimated," which is based on your previous 30 or so miles of driving?

It does, IF you have that particular mode selected for the left or right side of the console, but it's only useful if you remember how you've driven the past 30 miles. Having a 'Sport' range mode based on a constant Wh/mi, but more aggressive than 'Rated', would be a lot more predictable and useful I think.

- - - Updated - - -

I would just get rid of the ideal range. It's like Bigfoot; I've never seen one.

ESS-quatch. The Asymptotical Snowman. (You can approach it, but never quite get there.)

It does, IF you have that particular mode selected for the left or right side of the console, but it's only useful if you remember how you've driven the past 30 miles. Having a 'Sport' range mode based on a constant Wh/mi, but more aggressive than 'Rated', would be a lot more predictable and useful I think.
In the current firmware (4.2 / ...42), the vehicle does not offer a way to provide a digital readout of projected range in the instrument cluster. The closest you can get is a chart that you can approximate with.