Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S as a special purpose car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here around it is mostly well quiped Mercedes E that are the prefered for taxi driving and next to that are other german high end brands.
A Taxi compagny here in denmark have last summer made a special order of 50 Taxi Model S - I guess Moel S well spaced cargo room (rear and front) makes it a good candidate, along with the good handling and lower mileage cost.
a typical Taxi runs e.g. 100.000 km/year and can there by save a great amount of $ in fuel and other runing cost.

Have Model S been ordered as a taxi in other contries as well ? (e.g. norway or NL).
what about as a police car ?, seams to me its exceptionel driving handle could make it a good candidate to a city police car witch quickly can respond.

Or what about VIP car for goverment use, the green profile would make it a ideal candidate.

Only you Scandinavians have enough funds to buy USD 100K taxis. I live in San Francisco and Prius are highly popular because of very good fuel economy, roomy interior, and cost less than 35% of a Model S with 85kWh battery

I'm surprised by the idea of using a Model S as a taxi cab. The economics probably make sense, but the confined rear head room and the dysfunctional rear headrests don't seem to make it a great chauffeur car. The taxi drivers will enjoy their ride, though!

Only you Scandinavians have enough funds to buy USD 100K taxis. I live in San Francisco and Prius are highly popular because of very good fuel economy, roomy interior, and cost less than 35% of a Model S with 85kWh battery

The Model S may not be a great fit as a taxi, but I think it is likely a great fit in the "Town car" business. In the U.S. those are very commonly large luxury sedans that get 18 to 20mpg and drive 50K to 100K miles per year. The money that can be saved on fuel is enormous.

The Model S may not be a great fit as a taxi, but I think it is likely a great fit in the "Town car" business. In the U.S. those are very commonly large luxury sedans that get 18 to 20mpg and drive 50K to 100K miles per year. The money that can be saved on fuel is enormous.

If Tesla wanted to, they could make a stretch limo version, cram in some more cells and increase the range... maybe, who knows... It's fun to imagine.

I can't help but think it is a terrible idea to use EV as taxis in Denmark. Cold winters and lots of short drives followed by extended stand stills in lines waiting for passengers at the airport, hotels etc. That is exactly the kind of pattern that will drain the battery the most.

I can't help but think it is a terrible idea to use EV as taxis in Denmark. Cold winters and lots of short drives followed by extended stand stills in lines waiting for passengers at the airport, hotels etc. That is exactly the kind of pattern that will drain the battery the most.

It also allows for plenty of charging while waiting in lines everywhere. Plus would a Taxi even drive 180 miles in a day there?

In Atlanta they have a big queuing area for cabs. They let about 5-10 go at a time to pick up people curbside. That waiting area is set up where the cars are shut off and stationary for most of their wait time. Adding charging to a place like that would be fairly easy (you would have to get a BIG power feed). But I am sure some cab companies would help out with the expense. Same goes for hotels, and really anywhere there is a cabstand not on a city street.

Charging opportunities propably will be plenty. But i am more concerned with the actual energy consumption. Electricity is very expensive in Denmark, at least to consumers and all but the largest businesses. Burning kwh to keep the battery pack heatet and the cabin comfortable at all times is not per se green or efficient from an economical perspective.

Charging opportunities propably will be plenty. But i am more concerned with the actual energy consumption. Electricity is very expensive in Denmark, at least to consumers and all but the largest businesses. Burning kwh to keep the battery pack heatet and the cabin comfortable at all times is not per se green or efficient from an economical perspective.

How do they currently keep the cabin comfortable? Probably by leaving the engine idling...

Thats one point I agree.
Think about the parts that will replaced in a taxi life.
Some exhausts and a lot of breaks.
An EVs dont need them or need much more less. This are costs as well.

Some interesting posts here, including a Model S already in service as a Town Car, and a Danish company that has ordered 50 Model S taxis.

Model S/X as a taxi or fleet vehicle - Page 12

GSP
Cannot find this business, not sure where they are located. But oddly enough, most commercial insurance policies permit only named employee drvers behind the wheel.
At the risk of vioating forum protocol, I will add that I have a towncar service located across the freeway from SFO. Don't want to advertise my business here but I want to join the discussion here and wanted to be clear about this.
We received our first Model S on Thursday and have 10 more reserved if this goes well. We will have airport permits sometime next week and will put it in full service then.
Philip Macafee

I've already said this, but I think the Model S is a natural for a taxi, provided that chargers are installed at the taxi's "home base". There's only one problem: it's not wheelchair accessible, which is something which new taxis ought to be. It would mae a nice livery car though.