Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reinventing Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggies07

Nov 8, 2012
DFW
Has anyone read this book? I love it and learned a lot. Here's a link to the website where the author works: http://www.rmi.org/

reinventing-fire-cover-med.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference. What did you like about it?
I haven't read it because a friend who had thought it was overly optimistic about what could turn around current incumbents, and whether the conditions to do so were appearing fast enough. We have two problems at hand - imagining new ways to do business (which to my limited understanding Lovins does well) and consider pragmatic paths to transitioning to them (which to my understanding so far isn't happening according to Lovin's estimations)

Welcome. I thought the book was a little overly optimistic too (with the state of how polarized our country is), but without hard work nothing is satisfying. He's realistic too though, in that he says some of the work can not be done without technology innovation and progress, but we need a map to be able to utilize the transition.

I like that it's a clear road map to how we could better ourselves for the future. I like that he says nothing has to happen with laws being changed in Washington, businesses just need to understand the benefits and progress will lead from there. Tesla is a prime example of this. That's what I posted this book on here. They are taking part of the energy problem and moving it in a positive direction. It's crazy to me that the oil and auto industry are not putting their money and energy into electric vehicles, but instead putting their head in the sand. Move the country forward, but still remain kings of the transportation area.

The story about the Empire State Building being redone with all energy efficient material was great to read and a testament to what businesses can save.

The oil/transportation section of the book is fascinating. Amazing how much we are wasting.

Learned a lot about the electricity grid and calmed any fears about "over usage" once there are tons of EVs.