Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unofficial BlackBerry 10 App - Model S for BlackBerry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using the new BlackBerry Z10 for a few weeks now, and am quite happy with it. The lack of a Tesla app is a bit painful though! I tried sideloading the Android App, but it failed due to the Google Maps integrations.

So over the weekend I coded a fully native Cascades app that replicates all features of the Android/iOS apps, except for streaming map updates. It should go live in BlackBerry World in the next few days.

It even has some features not available in the official apps, including the ability to see the rated, ideal or estimated range and set the sunroof at different positions.

I also added a "Vehicle Status" report on the home screen, that highlights important status events. I find that easier to use than looking at a graphic of the car. In planes we have something similar, CAS Crew Alerting System.

The app requests updates from the car every 30 seconds while running, and every 5 minutes while running as an Active Frame. You can manually refresh by clicking the spinning icon in the top right corner of the app.

Thanks to guys behind Tesla Model S REST docs, without your documentation this would have been very hard!

Screenshots copy_0005_Background.jpg
Screenshots copy_0004_Layer 5.jpg
Screenshots copy_0003_Layer 1.jpg
Screenshots copy_0002_Layer 2.jpg
Screenshots copy_0001_Layer 3.jpg
Screenshots copy_0000_Layer 4.jpg

Last edited:
This is VERY cool. Is it possible to use this on the Blackberry torch? Anyone have that skill to convert/make that app???? (Z10 still not approved for my company - so am tied to a torch for a while).

... pretty please!!!!!

This is VERY cool. Is it possible to use this on the Blackberry torch? Anyone have that skill to convert/make that app???? (Z10 still not approved for my company - so am tied to a torch for a while).

... pretty please!!!!!

It is not possible to convert this app for BlackBerry OS 6/7 (the frameworks are very different), but someone could use the same API and build it.

I have been using the new BlackBerry Z10 for a few weeks now, and am quite happy with it. The lack of a Tesla app is a bit painful though! I tried sideloading the Android App, but it failed due to the Google Maps integrations.

So over the weekend I coded a fully native Cascades app that replicates all features of the Android/iOS apps, except for streaming map updates. It should go live in BlackBerry World in the next few days.

It even has some features not available in the official apps, including the ability to see the rated, ideal or estimated range and set the sunroof at different positions.

I also added a "Vehicle Status" report on the home screen, that highlights important status events. I find that easier to use than looking at a graphic of the car. In planes we have something similar, CAS Crew Alerting System.

The app requests updates from the car every 30 seconds while running, and every 5 minutes while running as an Active Frame. You can manually refresh by clicking the spinning icon in the top right corner of the app.

Thanks to guys behind Tesla Model S REST docs, without your documentation this would have been very hard!

You're wonderful (as are the folks who sussed out the API). Great job, Marcus!

Sorry took me a month to get proficient in BlackBerry 10 coding. But will gladly give pointers to anyone wanting to tackle the project. Was able to write this app quickly because I was able to reuse a lot code/knowledge from writing the CrackBerry app.

If I knew even a little bit about app development, I would take a go at it. There has to be someone out there that can make an app for Blackberry (torch, etc) - given all the talent on this board... who knows - maybe Tesla will surprise me.

Related Question - Plugshare app for BB10

Does anyone know if there is a Plugshare app, or Charepoint app, or any related type finder available for the BB10 yet? This is an ambitious ask given the BB10 is not really out yet in the US, but if anyone has ideas then thanks in advance! I get my Model S this weekend in Toronto, and I'm starting to think about road trips.

Dave

Marcus you are a hero! Saw you mention the app on Crackberry. I'll be getting a BB10 device soon so this will be the first app I'll download. I've been holding off deciding on Q10 vz Z10. Will this work on the Q10 as well? That could be the decider.

Marcus:

Well done! A month ago I asked Tesla on two separate occasions whether they might provide an app for the BB10. Without even suggesting that they'd look at it, they flatly refused. I even emailed them the BB page that shows (supposedly) the ease of porting android apps to the BB10 platform...no bites. So, I gave up. Today, I just happened to poke around on the forum and found your excellent work and result. Nicely executed. Curious why Tesla seemed not to know about your efforts and communicate them to me during my inquiries. I suppose their software engineers aren't really monitoring this forum...I thought they were.

Wow!!!!! I will receive my Z10 next week. This is an awesome news to have access to the car via a BB10 app. I almost switch to Android for that very reason. Glad I stick to BB.

Is there a chance TM prevents us from using this customized app since it is not coming from them?

Marcus, want to chime in thanks too. They handed out z10s here at BBJam and was happy to be able to check on my car from here.

I was at BBJam all week, sorry we didn't get to meet. Won an award for my other app, CB 10 - CB10 wins BlackBerry Developer Community Award! | CrackBerry.com

I drove my Tesla down (live in Gainesville 1.5 hrs north), the Marriott has two GE chargers in the employee parking lot. We shot a video for CrackBerry of me demonstrating the app, should be posted later this week.

The Q10 version of the app has been submitted and is pending approval. It still needs some tweaks but works OK on the smaller screen.