Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gauging interest on "Redisigned Sun Visors"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On to the next "idea". Seems one of the huge complaints is the sun visors in these cars. How many would be interested in a)Longer and Wider Visors b) A real mirror without distortion and c)Actual lights in the vanity mirror? Will have them covered in the same materials as the matching trim/headliner. Would have 2-4 LED's for the light in the mirror. Thanks for any feedback.

Would be interested though not sure if Tesla is actually going to be coming out with redesigned sun visors at some point (promised but no ETA and not sure if can be retrofitted (most likely could)). Then it comes down to a battle of price vs. features.

Would be interested though not sure if Tesla is actually going to be coming out with redesigned sun visors at some point (promised but no ETA and not sure if can be retrofitted (most likely could)). Then it comes down to a battle of price vs. features.

Would be an easy/direct install using original mounts. Have heard the same thing from Tesla again with no ETA and no details on if the mirrors will actually have a light in them. Thanks for the feedback!

On to the next "idea". Seems one of the huge complaints is the sun visors in these cars. How many would be interested in a)Longer and Wider Visors

Left to right the visors are fine. I find their height to be small but adequate. There isn't much room for more height when the visor is folded when you have the pano roof. I am not that tall, and have my seat on the ground, but I guess I still have my head close to the roof.

b) A real mirror without distortion and

My car came with real glass mirrors on the visors. No cheap plastic fun house mirrors. No distortion what so ever. (VIN 3182)

c)Actual lights in the vanity mirror? Will have them covered in the same materials as the matching trim/headliner. Would have 2-4 LED's for the light in the mirror. Thanks for any feedback.

I do not have any lighting on my mirrors. My wife thinks the 'dome' light works fine though.

Just so you know. These were my thoughts.

Agree, while I see that there is potential for improved design, the current design works better than one might think given the tiny size. For me to consider paying for a replacement it would need to be a much better design for a minor cost. Just don't see that happening.

Left to right the visors are fine. I find their height to be small but adequate. There isn't much room for more height when the visor is folded when you have the pano roof.

Same thing when you don't have the pano roof. The visors when folded go straight up to an edge in the roof liner. Seems that if you were to change the height of the visor you'd also have to redesign and replace the roof liner or else, the new visor would sit awkwardly against the roof liner edge when folded.

I also have glass mirrors and besides missing lights, the visor's quality looks adequate to me.

Same thing when you don't have the pano roof. The visors when folded go straight up to an edge in the roof liner. Seems that if you were to change the height of the visor you'd also have to redesign and replace the roof liner or else, the new visor would sit awkwardly against the roof liner edge when folded.

I also have glass mirrors and besides missing lights, the visor's quality looks adequate to me.
First thing my GF said when seeing car - driving into sun - could they be any smaller, and the mirror light? Where is it?
I agree that the sun visor is too small. Ironically the Leaf's sun visor is too narrow, this one too short!
Also agree that visor (at least in pano roof, not all roofs?) fits into the liner so it too would need to be modified.
Very hard to grasp visor and open mirror.
Somehow it would need to be designed as a slide out piece. Not well thought out at all. Higher on my wish list than others.

Other oddity to me is ... no "map pockets" on the back of front seats.

First thing my GF said when seeing car - driving into sun - could they be any smaller, and the mirror light? Where is it?
I agree that the sun visor is too small. Ironically the Leaf's sun visor is too narrow, this one too short!
Also agree that visor (at least in pano roof, not all roofs?) fits into the liner so it too would need to be modified.
Very hard to grasp visor and open mirror.
Somehow it would need to be designed as a slide out piece. Not well thought out at all. Higher on my wish list than others.

Other oddity to me is ... no "map pockets" on the back of front seats.

I have folded the mirror straight forward before and it seems there is another 3-4" of room before it would make contact with the windshield. So the stored position would be folded forward as opposed to in the headliner. It is adequate for most average/tall people but if your on the shorter side even with the seat all the way up it isn't sufficient.

On the cars I currently own, you can fold down the visor, rotate it towards the side window, and then slide it back towards the B-pillar.

I've never seen anyone mention if the visors in the S can do this or not, and I forgot to check when I was in Chicago. So, can it?

On the cars I currently own, you can fold down the visor, rotate it towards the side window, and then slide it back towards the B-pillar.

I've never seen anyone mention if the visors in the S can do this or not, and I forgot to check when I was in Chicago. So, can it?

They don't slide towards the B-pillar. But they are wide enough that they come within a couple of inches of the B-Pillar so no big deal.

I have folded the mirror straight forward before and it seems there is another 3-4" of room before it would make contact with the windshield. So the stored position would be folded forward as opposed to in the headliner. It is adequate for most average/tall people but if your on the shorter side even with the seat all the way up it isn't sufficient.

Personally this would be the killer for me, I'd hate to have the visors permanently 'deployed', even if that meant being almost horizontal against the windshield.

in the meantime, I will use a piece of cardboard fashioned to fit and held in place with two binder clips. :wink:

Genius! But really I was looking into making one with a bend 2/3 of the way down with about a 45 degree angle in it so that it sits more flush. And that is towards the windshield. IMO it would protrude out to far if angled towards the driver and stored in the original position. Like most have pointed out the headliner interferes with the space that is needed to extend it. Leaving only the option of storing it towards the headliner.

Hoping to see some renderings - this is an area of the Model S that needs to be improved (better mirror, better light, bigger, etc.) - perhaps even a vertical pocket to slide in envelopes, maps, etc.?

Drove the new car into the afternoon sun for the first time today... Big Negative. Sun visors are totally inadequate. Given, I am under six feet tall at 5'7". But the sun was still 20 degrees above the horizon and it was brutal. I'm going to have to put a ball cap in the car for afternoon westbound driving. It would be unbearable if the sun was lower. This is a huge negative for me, especially since it seems that the sun visors don't HAVE to be that small.