Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge Cable Unlatched" error (charging at 16A only)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
tried a search but nothing came up. Anyone else have this error?

when i plugged in tonight to a 14-50 that I successfully used 2 nights ago the port light blinks yellow instead of green.
Thankfully it is charging, albeit at 16A instead of 40. I called roadside assistance and theyj said my car looked healthy, and we tried reinserting the UMC several times (both at car and outlet) and rebooting the center console to no avail.

rather worrisome. I'm planning to drive to Reno tomorrow and will try recharging at some other locations to see if have the same problem.
I will also ask the hotel if its possible they turned down the amperage to this outlet for some reason.

Appreciate any advice you may have. thanks

tried a search but nothing came up. Anyone else have this error?

when i plugged in tonight to a 14-50 that I successfully used 2 nights ago the port light blinks yellow instead of green.
Thankfully it is charging, albeit at 16A instead of 40. I called roadside assistance and theyj said my car looked healthy, and we tried reinserting the UMC several times (both at car and outlet) and rebooting the center console to no avail.

rather worrisome. I'm planning to drive to Reno tomorrow and will try recharging at some other locations to see if have the same problem.
I will also ask the hotel if its possible they turned down the amperage to this outlet for some reason.

Appreciate any advice you may have. thanks

Did you try the reset button on the back of the UMC. Yes I got the same error message and pushing the reset cleared everything up so I could charge at 40A.

Did you try the reset button on the back of the UMC. Yes I got the same error message and pushing the reset cleared everything up so I could charge at 40A.
Thank you Tommy

I pushed it but nothing seemed to happen and it didn't fix it. Tried both a brief push and holding it down for a long time. Do the lights on the umc give any indication of the reset?

This just happened to me today. Been charging fine all along and today before we headed out to dinner i noticed the car wasn't charging and the app said charged stopped. Hmm.. anyways had dinner came back, plugged her in and it started charging. Thought it was just a fluke. Then about an hour ago I check the tesla app and charging stopped. Wha? I go to garage and sure enough, red blinking light on the UMC, unplug try another outlet same thing, try 120v same thing, just a blinking red light.

I'll try again tomorrow but at least it has 213 miles charged so I'm good for tomorrow. I might just drive down to the Costa Mesa service center and see if the cable works there.

This happened to me last night (first time in a month) - I hadn't completely seated the plug into the car - and just pulled it out and reseated it - and it was fine. Looks more like user error than a problem with the car.

Now I'm getting a No power from wall message or a Cycle Wall Power message. The outlet is live, but the UMC blinks red all the time regardless of the outlet I plug into 240/120 etc. I think my UMC might be bad.

I don't remember the UMC blinking red. It blinks red even though it's not connected to the Tesla. Hit the reset button on the back but it didn't do anything. :(

@shokunin, I got the cycle wall power error and red LED last week when I was charging on 110V and my electrician messed with the outlets. He said the problem was that "the grounds weren't connected" and he fiddled with the outlet for a few minutes and fixed it.

Here's the thread: Charging error:

Went to the Costa Mesa service center to make sure it wasn't my outlets. Checking with my multimeter, everything looked fine on the ground/hot and even my 120v outlets polarity (hot neutral and grounds) were all fine.

Result, my UMC went bad. The service guys said the blinking red LED is not a good sign. Though I've never dropped the UMC they recommended to be careful with the electronics box (with the LEDs) as it's quite sensitive. They swapped a new cable and I was in and out in 10 minutes. Plugged in the new UMC and the car is charging as it should.

Result, my UMC went bad. The service guys said the blinking red LED is not a good sign. Though I've never dropped the UMC they recommended to be careful with the electronics box (with the LEDs) as it's quite sensitive. They swapped a new cable and I was in and out in 10 minutes. Plugged in the new UMC and the car is charging as it should.

Yeah, blinking red is bad.
Solid red means ground fault / circuit fault.

I also got the "Charge Cable Unlatched" message and the blinking yellow light earlier this week. As another user mentioned the the cable connected to the car wasn't fully inserted. After pushing it in more it turned green. It freaked me out at first.

Yesterday was my first day with the car. I saw that error the second time I plugged in the car (It may have been there the first time, but I didn't look). In any case, I tried unseating and reseating the plug, but the error persisted. The car charged at 16A (but I figured that was because the battery was almost full). I didn't try a UMC reset, I'll check for the error again tonight.

Today I tried a public station and got the same error, so I knew it wasn't the UMC. Looked more closely at the charge port in the bright sunlight and saw that there was some crud in there, preventing the connector from being properly seated!

After clearing it out with a stick it started working normally again. I must have dropped the UMC on the ground or dirty snow and some pebbles got into the charge port. Lesson learned, keep that UMC out of the dirt!

I have been keeping an eye on this, and I still have this error even though I tried the UMC reset. I was just about to report it to TM when I saw @Kipernicus' post. Now I have one more thing to check before I contact TM. The important thing is that my car is charging.

I find it hard to believe that the problem is dirt in my case, it really feels like the UMC is fully seated when I plug it in. But I will check to be sure.

I've had it twice now (both of the times that I plugged in with 110 at home). It always works on the second try. Third time's a charm seemed to kick in today. Of greater concern to me is that my charge port has failed to open a couple of times. Took quite a few retries to get it to open. Only my second day, so just keeping an eye on things so far.

I've had it twice now (both of the times that I plugged in with 110 at home). It always works on the second try. Third time's a charm seemed to kick in today. Of greater concern to me is that my charge port has failed to open a couple of times. Took quite a few retries to get it to open. Only my second day, so just keeping an eye on things so far.

+1

I've seen charge cable unlatched a couple times. I push the connector in more, I hear the latch and everything is happy.

My charge port has failed to open many times. I can hear the high pitched whine (sounds like an old CRT) that the port makes when it's open or trying to open, but it doesn't open. I find I need to wait at least 5 seconds before trying again. If I keep pushing the button, the port will keep not opening.

Charging at only 16/40A ?

Just got home after my first long drive - about 200 miles. Plugged in to my NEMA 14-50 and an hour later I'm still only charging at 10 mi/hr 237v 16/40a.

Is this normal?

My typical day prior to today has ben 20-40 miles of driving and charging at >20 mi/hr.

IMG_0546.PNG