Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st week (really minor) teething ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven the S for 1 week, 1 day, overall the car lives up to all the hype and then some.

Only had minor problems:

1) Once I got in the drivers seat, having been around the car talking to an enthusiast for several minutes, and seated ... I was told that the key was not detected. Really? So, opened drivers door, walked away, re-approached car and then it recognized it.

2) Brakes screech. Occasionally the brakes really sound loud. Temps here are < 30 avg right now. And I have not watered the wheels down nor have they gotten unduly wet.

3) A couple of times I have approached the car and no response from the handles. So I use the key and no biggie.

4) Today, for the first time, car parked in garage overnight (20F), not charging; approached, handles came out but front passenger door refused to open. All others would. Locked it, unlocked it a few times. No dice. Drove a few miles. Returned to scene of crime, door opened fine. Humm.

5) Drivers seat has a minor "creek" in it.

A mate of mine who also has the S told me he'd experienced 1 and 3.

Not sure any of these warrant a visit to service center. If anyone has had these issues and know they need service, I'm all ears.

Do a four or five really hard stops from 50 or 60 mph to seat the brake pads (then drive around for a bit to let them cool off). That will help for a while until they get gunked up again.

Having driven the S for 1 week, 1 day, overall the car lives up to all the hype and then some.

Only had minor problems:

4) Today, for the first time, car parked in garage overnight (20F), not charging; approached, handles came out but front passenger door refused to open. All others would. Locked it, unlocked it a few times. No dice. Drove a few miles. Returned to scene of crime, door opened fine. Humm.

Not sure any of these warrant a visit to service center. If anyone has had these issues and know they need service, I'm all ears.

Door latches do fail at times. It will be sporadic, then completely refuse to work full time. That's why keyfob press and hold drops all windows, so you can reach in and manually open door handle. If your service center doesn't have one handy, let them know to get one ordered in case this escalates to a permanent situation.

Once they get it fixed (bad lot of handles??) it doesn't happen again.

Door latches do fail at times. It will be sporadic, then completely refuse to work full time. That's why keyfob press and hold drops all windows, so you can reach in and manually open door handle. If your service center doesn't have one handy, let them know to get one ordered in case this escalates to a permanent situation.

So I need a new door handle? If Chicago Service center needs to order door handle. Great, I'll ring them. Thanks.

Make sure that your fob is not in the same pocket with your cell phone or other active electronics; these can shield the fob's RF and blind the car to the fob's presence.
For which symptom? Ironically my cell phone died Friday. I mean RIP. Waiting for Vodaf0ne to replace under warranty. So, no, my "fone" has been nowhere near my being for 48 hours! Talk about withdrawal! But A for effort :)

2) Brakes screech. Occasionally the brakes really sound loud. Temps here are < 30 avg right now. And I have not watered the wheels down nor have they gotten unduly wet.
Sounds like new brakes to me. I had the same issue for roughly two weeks. It stopped after two weeks because during week two I intentionally slammed on the brakes a lot (with no traffic around me) to break them in.

Since then, periodically I'll get the wet squeak that others have spoken up but nothing like the first week audio.

Ok, this has gotten a bit weirder. Did call Chicago service center.
Today, door would not open. No biggie. But I drove to my office. Parked in lot. Pulling into parking bay with left 90 deg turn. When I pressed the P button I heard the door mechanism? engage / disengage on the passenger side. Thought it sounded a bit louder than normal?
Left car; returned five minutes later. Noticed as I approached the door handles were already out. Got in. Went to select D, but noticed error on dash; car door open. No it's not. Then looked at passenger. Got out, walked around car and noticed it was 1 inch ajar!
Either a) the door swung open a bit as I approached parking bay. Never locked. or b) it didn't lock and someone opened door? Left it ajar? Either way, disturbing.
Is a) even possible?
I'm going to watch it closely for a while.
Update: no biggie ... caused by same problem above ... when putting in Park, it popped the faulty door mechanism. Part on order.

Last edited:
Here is what is most likely happening. Your passenger door is popping open when your door handles extend (walk up to the car, or press park). This is happening for me with my drivers door. I've had the same thing happen to me with the door being locked and me being unable to unlock but for me it was the passenger door that wouldn't unlock, the my drivers door popped open after I finally got it to unlock. I have an appointment with tesla service Friday to have my for handle replaced. They say this fixes the problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD