Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Two bucked wash method - transporting the buckets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PattyChuck

Model S P100D, Model X P90D
Jan 24, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
(Not sure if this belongs in one of the existing threads, so I'm sure the mods will move if necessary.)

For the first time in my life, I finally own a car that I'm compelled to actually take care of beyond the yearly detailing and monthly trips thru the automatic car wash. As there are an outrageous number of different car washing methods out there, I read it's just best to pick one and stick to it. So, I picked the two bucked wash method (seemed to be a popular choice). However, I encountered a bit of a snafu. Washing cars in the driveway is against my HOA, and my garage is not really set up for washing. Luckily, there's a great coin-op car wash close to the house. I found that I can fill two five-gallon buckets at home with nice hot water, and they fit perfectly in the frunk (I've got the Tesla-branded all-weather frunk mat). The buckets are a tight fit, so there's no fear of them tipping over (although they're sealed with Gamma Seal Lids), and they don't slide around at all.

Just thought I'd share!

Wow, while I thought the HOA rules where we live were strict, but to restrict you from washing your own car in your own driveway?!?

We've been written up by our HOA more times than my wife or I can recall (for some reason they don't like us hanging a 4' tall Mickey Mouse head cutout over our garage, even when we've changed it to be themed for each holiday / season), but we haven't caved in or gotten to the point where they put a lien against the house. I'd say screw 'em and wash your car where you damn well please.

No HOA here but it's not legal to wash your car in the driveway due to water restrictions. The 25 cent car wash and two bucket methods should work just fine.

This past weekend I had local detailers come out and do a waterless job using Eco-Friendly solution. It was terrific so I bought two bottles and some micro-fiber rags on Amazon. Not a drop on the garage floor and very safe to the finish.

Illegal to do this where?

Texas. It was in Georgia for about 2 years, including for many car wash businesses. In Florida it would periodically be illegal, and normally be 2 days a week. Right now I only have 2 days a week I can do outdoor water activities, except for putting out fires.

They fall under 'outdoor water bans' that happen during drought times.

The EPA is getting very strict in many parts of the Country on washing with Water. I agree that washing at the coin-up is not a great idea. They reclaim and reclaim and reclaim their water so it ends up being highly acidic. The entire Car Care industry is making a move toward waterless washing. With the correct micro-fiber towels and waterless was chemical, you are actually washing in an very safe manner. No mess and you can wash a car with a couple of ounces of solution!