Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Reports - Winter chills limit range of the Tesla Model S electric car

Canada
    What are the Rated Range under these scenarios?

1. Full Standard Charge for a 85 kwh pack --> 240 miles?
    2. Full Range Charge for a 85 kwh pack --> 265 miles?
    3. Full Standard Charge for a 60 kwh pack --> 187 miles?
    4. Full Range Charge for a 60 kwh pack --> 208 miles?

Model X #1417
    Quote Originally Posted by Hut View Post

It greatly depends on the tires, temperature and if you are using cabin heating, assuming driving on dry roads.

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by RDoc View Post
    It greatly depends on the tires, temperature and if you are using cabin heating, assuming driving on dry roads.
    I understand that you may not get the Rated Range.

However, I would like to know what does the meter say after you done a full charge under those scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    Hi RDoc. I agree that you don't want to do a lot of range charges. But I still feel that when any source publishes "how far an EV can go" for a long-distance EV (I might agree with you for a limited-range EV like the Leaf), it should include the range number. Just driving around town (when, indeed, they shouldn't do a range charge), nobody cares about the range number, because they're not going to stretch it. When you care is when you are on a road trip, and that is when you do range charge. I don't think (?) anybody was calling for regular range charges; they were just noting that when you care about the top range is for a trip when you will do the range charge.....

Putting it another way.

When doing long drive that is EXACTLY when you do a range charge. Indeed that's why it exists, for those infrequent trips.
    Both the NYT and now Consumer Reports have commented on battery degradation by doing a range charge. It may be true but It should be made clear to them it's needed for Supercharger testing.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    When doing long drive that is EXACTLY when you do a range charge. Indeed that's why it exists, for those infrequent trips.
    Both the NYT and now Consumer Reports have commented on battery degradation by doing a range charge. It may be true but their misplaced caution is excessive.
    There are a couple of conditions to be met when writing one of those screen warnings:

1. It has to be short or folks won't read it at all.

2. It has to be strong enough so that it won't be ignored.

Unfortunately, these two requirements means that the uninformed will not use it at all, as opposed to using it when the situation requires but not every day. Probably the best way to address this is to have a "See more" on the warning screen that opens up a full discussion of the effects and when it should and shouldn't be used.

Of course, a complete manual would do the same thing, although I'm given to understand that most people don't read the manual.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zythryn View Post
    Thanks for the report. I am a bit surprised at that as I would feel comfortable driving 200 miles on a range charge anytime the temp was above 20. And I am in Minnesota. I am eager to get warmer temps this spring so I can test tis out up here.
    Heck, I've already driven 190 miles at temperatures as low as 0F. It requires a little care but isn't difficult.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    One of the NT Times picks for top comment says a lot about their response to this:

twenty-ninerReal, WorldNYT Pick
    Just out of curiosity, did the Consumer Reports article titled "Winter chills limit range of the Tesla Model S electric car" unleash an army of nippy sycophantic attack nerds? Some quotes from the article:

"In the end, I made it with no need for a rescue, rolling on for three miles on empty. All in all, I covered 176 miles during a typical winter day in the Northeast and not too far off the 188-mile range initially projected."

"The "projected" range was even scarier at 15 miles left after cold soaking at 30° F through the night."

"To be clear, cold temperatures, need for cabin heat, and a high portion of freeway driving, which minimizes the opportunity for regenerative braking, are the most adverse conditions for any electric vehicle."

"Any potential EV buyers in the Snow Belt should consider our experience; winter exacts a tough toll on range."

These tend to corroborate Mr. Broder's general experience. L-i battery performance does not degrade linearly as temperatures decline. There is actually a knee curve right around freezing where performance starts to degrade exponentially.

Bottom line, save .75$ on the dollar (and spare your local land fill from being filled with toxic L-i cells) and buy a more thermally-efficient modern diesel, which also happens to be produce less CO2 per kilowatt than a coal/gas power plant charging a giant copper top.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hut View Post

Here the range figures for the 85kWh pack...

Name:  tesla-claimed-range.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  337.3 KB

Kevin, can you provide the specific link rather than just the domain. Thanks.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Model X #1417
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Heck, I've already driven 190 miles at temperatures as low as 0F. It requires a little care but isn't difficult.
    What kinds of speed did you do this at and what did you do for cabin heat?

Thread Information