Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greenville SC to Athens Ga a little help please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was excited when my teenage twins asked there Dad to take them March 6th to visit the University of Georgia for their official college visits. The drive from Greenville, SC to Athens, Ga is about 100 miles. I thought it would be cool to take my new Tesla Model S 85 performance for the visit. When I searched to see where UGA had a charging station on campus, I was a little surprised to see a major research university had none! The only charging station I see in Athens is at the local "Leaf" dealership. I do not think they will want me charging up there. Then I thought, "Maybe I can make the trip round trip without charging?" If I do a max charge of 265, what do you think?

Our tour starts at 10AM in the morning and we finish up around noon. I thought 2 hours of charge would do the Tesla good and get me back to Greenville with no problems. Now I worry about the distance and no charging opportunities in Athens.

Maybe someone who lives in the Athens area knows more then I do. Anything you could share would be a great help!

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mark

I was excited when my teenage twins asked there Dad to take them March 6th to visit the University of Georgia for their official college visits.

Why? :biggrin:(sorry, obligatory disparaging of U(sic)GA as I am a GT grad)

The drive from Greenville, SC to Athens, Ga is about 100 miles. I thought it would be cool to take my new Tesla Model S 85 performance for the visit. When I searched to see where UGA had a charging station on campus, I was a little surprised to see a major research university had none! The only charging station I see in Athens is at the local "Leaf" dealership. I do not think they will want me charging up there. Then I thought, "Maybe I can make the trip round trip without charging?" If I do a max charge of 265, what do you think?

I would call ahead. Probably will let you do so. But Athens is the RV capital of the USA on Saturday Gameday. I bet you can find thousands of 14-50 plugs really close to campus if you look a bit. It being off season might make it a bit hard to find one, but probably a better bet than Nissan.

Our tour starts at 10AM in the morning and we finish up around noon. I thought 2 hours of charge would do the Tesla good and get me back to Greenville with no problems. Now I worry about the distance and no charging opportunities in Athens.

Maybe someone who lives in the Athens area knows more then I do. Anything you could share would be a great help!

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mark

You could probably do the whole trip without even charging. Two hours will surely get you plenty to cruise at 70+. I would look for some RV 50A plugs first though. I bet they are closer to campus (where you might be able to walk to where you need to go) and will give you more charge than what you will find at Nissan.

ElSupreme,

Actually, I went to Wake Forest but neither of my kids want to set foot on the campus. Maybe they would have to study too much! I think I will try my luck at the round trip with no charge venture. If things get low on power, I think I can always stop in Anderson, SC for a little charge to get me home.

You might find it funny, I emailed UGA and asked (since they advertised their commitment as an environmentally friendly university) where is your EV charging station on campus. I am still waiting for my reply.

And yes, I did make many a trip to the Varsity during my college days (30 years ago)!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mark

- - - Updated - - -

Downloaded the App. It looks great, but still not much help in Athens sadly.

As far as I know Athens really is a dead zone except for the single Nissan dealership. There looks to be a lot of campgrounds around lake Hartwell GA/SC border. So on the way back if you aren't going to make it you could stop at one of them for an hour or so.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife is looking to go to grad school at UGA this fall. I am going to harass everyone there for some public chargers (even for a fee) and have her drive the Model S there and back. It will cost so much less than her driving her Civic. (I am going to angle slowly giving her the S so I get a performance Gen III) If they put in some chargers it will be a no brainier.

Even if they don't get chargers she should be able to do the drive on a normal charge, and if she could even have a 120V charge for the day while she is there it would be easy to do without a range charge.

With the sad departure of sleep mode in the latest software update, I would try very hard to find at least a regular outlet to use while you're there. You won't get many miles to show for it, but at least you'll stem the vampire load.

Long dead thread. But last year Georgia Power put up a 30A station there. It is close but a decent walk from downtown. But this is a good option to look for.

1001 Prince Ave
Athens, GA 30606

I think this is probably the best location in Athens. I haven't used it yet. But may this coming weekend.

Mark,

I live in Greenville SC and my daughter is a professor at UGA (they live in Watkinsville GA beyond the University). I have a Model S 70D and on full charge and range mode I can drive to their home and back with 25 real miles left. Also, there is a charger in one of the University's garages that will give you about 35-40 miles per hour of charge. Contact the parking office of UGA to find out which garage has the Level II charger. I hope this helps.

Tom Wagner

Really old thread, but there's more infrastructure in Athens than in 2012 when this was initially posted. There are J1772 chargers that are free inside some of the UGA parking decks as well as the Washington Street parking deck, and there's a free CHAdeMO/CCS in front of the Classic Center downtown. (At least free until the end of 2015.) There's also a CHAdeMO/CCS at the Georgia Power station, but it now charges money as of October 1st. The rise of college students owning Nissan Leafs thanks to the state tax credit made this happen.