Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-Unit condo charging update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the help with the previous question regarding engaging my SoCal Condo association to impliment a charging infrastructure

This is a brief clip of what the HOA manager said:

We are looking at four 16amp outlets. Anything above 20 would require us to change out the infrastructure in the electrical room

First quote was for $14,000 for four 16 amp charging stations. I'd imagine each EV owner would pay $3,500

Electric Vehicle Charging

In accordance with Civil Code §1353.9 and SB 209, the Association has adopted the following guidelines for the charging of electric vehicles (EV) in the garage.

1. The assignee of the parking space shall submit an architectural application to the Association requesting the installation of an electrical outlet near the assignee’s parking space.

2. If an electrical outlet is not readily available next to the assignee’s parking space, one will need to be installed at the Owner’s expenses, taking into account rebates and incentives offered by SDG&E.

3. The assignee of the parking will be responsible for usage of the common area electricity. A flat fee of $75 per month will be assessed for a Level 1 EV (110 volts) and $100 per month for a Level 2 EV (220 volts). This fee will be subject to change at anytime with the intent to ensure equitable fairness to both the Owner and the Association.

4. Relocation to a parking space with a charging station and or electrical outlet is subject to change at anytime in accordance with the established parking guidelines.

5. These rules apply to residential use only. Commercially owned vehicles are not permitted to be charged.

Now I have even more questions:

1) I would like to assist them with indvidual metering as all outlets are coming off the main breaker like they mentioned. Can the EV TOU integrate into a multi-unit condo?
2) Is it possible to use a 16amp 220v outlet or will electric cars not be able to handle this? They have adapters for specific standards like 12/24/40+ amps. Not 16

The quote of 14k for the charging stations is weird. Are they installing actual stations like chargepoint or blink? You don't need those. All you need is an outlet to plug into.

An electrician can set you up with TOU meter. You'd have to get him on site to evaluate the situation.

Last edited:
Thanks, they refer to a typical plug outlet as charging station

I will emaill SDG&E to see how they can integrate an EV TOU meter onto the property but figured someone has dealt with this before

And if someone can answer the amperage issue please let me know. 16amp is not a standard so I don't know how the onboard charger will handle it

I also emailed EverCharge and Southern California Edison as they provide a complete MUD monitoring package but they are obviously a for profit company so it would seem a standard 110v/240v outlet would best benefit the tenant as you would be paying the going kwh rate and is easier to maintain etc

SnyderKV,
A few comments:

* The email address for getting your SDG&E electric vehicle / rate / charging questions answered is [email protected]

* Note that SB 209 was revised and the latest version is SB 880. Under SB 880, a $1M insurance policy will need to be purchased by drivers.

* Also note that SDG&E doesn't have "incentives or rebates" to install electrical outlets.

* Unless you're driving a LOT of miles, $100 per month is not a favorable flat rate for the driver...

* You may want to look into the eVgo model that is being rolled out in California for Multi-Unit dwellings. The wiring and back-end infrastructure is free to the HOA, and you as the driver would lease an EVSE from eVgo. They haven't set California pricing yet, but in Texas they charge $59/mo and that includes all off-peak energy. On their website, there is a page to sign up or get more information about the California rollout "Make ready" project or REV.

* Finally, SDG&E is offering a Multi-Unit Vehicle charging workshop on Feb 26. You can get more information at seminars.sdge.com and see the event on 2/26...

Thanks for the help with the previous question regarding engaging my SoCal Condo association to impliment a charging infrastructure

This is a brief clip of what the HOA manager said:

We are looking at four 16amp outlets. Anything above 20 would require us to change out the infrastructure in the electrical room

First quote was for $14,000 for four 16 amp charging stations. I'd imagine each EV owner would pay $3,500

Electric Vehicle Charging

In accordance with Civil Code §1353.9 and SB 209, the Association has adopted the following guidelines for the charging of electric vehicles (EV) in the garage.

1. The assignee of the parking space shall submit an architectural application to the Association requesting the installation of an electrical outlet near the assignee’s parking space.

2. If an electrical outlet is not readily available next to the assignee’s parking space, one will need to be installed at the Owner’s expenses, taking into account rebates and incentives offered by SDG&E.

3. The assignee of the parking will be responsible for usage of the common area electricity. A flat fee of $75 per month will be assessed for a Level 1 EV (110 volts) and $100 per month for a Level 2 EV (220 volts). This fee will be subject to change at anytime with the intent to ensure equitable fairness to both the Owner and the Association.

4. Relocation to a parking space with a charging station and or electrical outlet is subject to change at anytime in accordance with the established parking guidelines.

5. These rules apply to residential use only. Commercially owned vehicles are not permitted to be charged.

Now I have even more questions:

1) I would like to assist them with indvidual metering as all outlets are coming off the main breaker like they mentioned. Can the EV TOU integrate into a multi-unit condo?
2) Is it possible to use a 16amp 220v outlet or will electric cars not be able to handle this? They have adapters for specific standards like 12/24/40+ amps. Not 16

SnyderKV,
A few comments:

* The email address for getting your SDG&E electric vehicle / rate / charging questions answered is [email protected]

* Note that SB 209 was revised and the latest version is SB 880. Under SB 880, a $1M insurance policy will need to be purchased by drivers.

* Also note that SDG&E doesn't have "incentives or rebates" to install electrical outlets.

* Unless you're driving a LOT of miles, $100 per month is not a favorable flat rate for the driver...

* You may want to look into the eVgo model that is being rolled out in California for Multi-Unit dwellings. The wiring and back-end infrastructure is free to the HOA, and you as the driver would lease an EVSE from eVgo. They haven't set California pricing yet, but in Texas they charge $59/mo and that includes all off-peak energy. On their website, there is a page to sign up or get more information about the California rollout "Make ready" project or REV.

* Finally, SDG&E is offering a Multi-Unit Vehicle charging workshop on Feb 26. You can get more information at seminars.sdge.com and see the event on 2/26...

Thanks RandyS

I went ahead and emailed SDG&E again using the new address

To satisfy the HOA $100/month fee, I would have to travel 45 to 85 miles a day (on peak/offpeak respectively) every day for 1 month

I guess that is a lot but eVgo would charge about the same in California so I see no real benefit to using eVgo unless you like dedicated looking charging stations instead of a simple standard outlet. But they do have subscriptions for use of their charging stations for much cheaper. But that's moot if you own a Tesla

The real question is how tenants can meter their vehicles so nobody pays for miles they did not drive? eVgo is still a flat rate company just like the HOA fee. Any suggestions? Maybe someone will make a service that tracks your mileage via GPS and creates a receipt that can be emailed to the HOA.

Last edited: