Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

H&R Block now supports EV tax credit (updated)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
WARNING: H & R BLOCK DOES NOT SUPPORT FORM 8834 $7500 FED TAX CREDIT

HERE IS THE TRANSCRIPT:

You have been connected to Victoria R.
Victoria R: Hello JOE, welcome to H&R Block At Home Live Chat Support! Please allow me a few moments to review the information you have submitted to us.+
JOE: OK
Victoria R: Is this a child tax form?
JOE: Qualified Plug-in Electric and Electric Vehicle Credit
Victoria R: Thank you, allow me a moment to check on this for you.
Victoria R: I have located an answer to your question, Unfortunately, this form is not available in our software or online products this year. We are looking to possibly to add it to our products for future years.
JOE: THEN HOW DO I GET A REFUND …I NEED IT THIS YEAR!!!!
Victoria R: Are you filing online or via software?
JOE: ANY WAY I CAN….
Victoria R: Where did you purchase the software you are currently using?
JOE: STAPLES
Victoria R: To obtain a refund for software you purchased in a retail store, send a copy of the original sales receipt showing the H&R Block software purchase, along with the original UPC code from the bottom of the H&R Block software box within 60 days from the date of purchase.
If you destroyed your box, or used your UPC code to obtain a rebate, you can send the CD in place of the UPC code.
Send these items to:

H&R Block Software
P.O. Box 32110
Kansas City, MO 64171
JOE: WHY CAN'T THE LOCAL H&R BLOCK PEOPLE USE THE FORM AND FINISH THE JOB?
Victoria R: You may file at an H&R Block tax office, just not through our online or software program.
JOE: FOR FREE SINCE YOU CAN'T DO IT?
Victoria R: No they will have a charge, they are charging a tax preparation fee.
JOE: CAN I ADD IT MANUALLY TO THE PROGRAM AND FILE A PAPER RETURN?.
Victoria R: No I apologize for the inconvenience but that is not possible either.
JOE: BY THE WAY, THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WHO NEED THIS FORM NOW AND WILL NEVER BUY YOUR SOFTWARE AGAIN….I'LL POST THIS ON EVERY EV BLOG ON THE INTERNET.

Wow! Hopefully, I won't have the same problem with TurboTax. I've been using TurboTax for probably 12 years, and my return typically involves many, many forms. I'll make sure to check in advance before I begin my return. Thanks for your post.

IMHO H&R is for amateurs who can't establish their own business. I've only heard bad things from people who went there (there refunds are small, things get missed, etc etc.) They way I see them is like a sweatshop. Following scripts line by line but not really having any true knowledge of tax codes and ways to find you discounts. The fact that they can't even submit that form in their system is just like the nail in the coffin. I mean how archaic is that software? Use a real independent C.P.A. with good reviews online. BTW, the form is here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8834.pdf

To update this thread, neither H&R Block At Home (software product installed on PC/Mac) nor H&R Block Online (online service) support IRS form 8936 for tax year 2013 (and will not). They suggested I go to an H&R Block office in person instead.

TurboTax by Intuit lists availability of form 8936 for PC, Mac, and online products as 30 Jan 2014 here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1...es-for-2013-irs-personal-individual-tax-forms

They did not support it last year either. That's why I switched back to turbo tax.

Well, I'm not an accountant, but I don't think you want Form 8834. I believe the correct form is 8936 but defer to any accountants with experience on this. I believe Form 8834 is for other plug-ins with smaller electric batteries and is limited to $2500, whereas Form 8936 and its accompanying instructions specifically set out the limit of $7500 for larger kWh cars like the Model S.

Last edited:
They did not support it last year either. That's why I switched back to turbo tax.

Warning: TurboTax is not doing the 8936 for correctly either. In fact it is worse. It will act like everything is OK when you file, but it won't include the 6251 Form (AMT) that is necessary when filing for the electric vehicle tax credit. So at least for the moment (until they get it fixed) don't use TurboTax either.

Any further details on the problem with TurboTax? I just verified that the online site hrblock.com that I've used for several years doesn't support this form, so I was going to try the TurboTax Online instead.

Did you speak to a TurboTax representative about the issue?

If you aren't employing a CPA (and you shouldn't have to), always always always file on paper.

Thanks to some really offensive rules which were promulgated by really offensive people in the federal government, this means you can't really use tax preparation software. Oh well.

Just to update this in case somebody ends up here - you can file using H&R Block online software for tax year 2015 and get the $7500.00 credit for buying an EV (Tesla or other).

You will be able to use Turbotax online, probably, after 2/11/2016. I tried Turbotax but currently (2/6/2016) it says that form 8936 is not available. But for some reason H&R Block does not have this problem and I was able to file my return with my credit today.

Hi--thanks for updating this thread. Lots of snippy rants about the decision or freedom to file your taxes they way you want without being a CPA. Glad it's updated & the form will be OK to use with on-line filing.

Just to update this in case somebody ends up here - you can file using H&R Block online software for tax year 2015 and get the $7500.00 credit for buying an EV (Tesla or other).

You will be able to use Turbotax online, probably, after 2/11/2016. I tried Turbotax but currently (2/6/2016) it says that form 8936 is not available. But for some reason H&R Block does not have this problem and I was able to file my return with my credit today.

If you aren't employing a CPA (and you shouldn't have to), always always always file on paper.

Thanks to some really offensive rules which were promulgated by really offensive people in the federal government, this means you can't really use tax preparation software. Oh well.
Huh? I've been using tax software for decades and have had pretty complex returns during some of that time.

Sounds like FUD.