Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel shelf (pic) and CF spoiler - FINALLY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
Finally got two of my due bill items installed; CF spoiler for my P85 and the mythical "parcel shelf" (why the heck is it called a parcel shelf anyway? You certainly wouldn't store parcels ON it)

It's way better than the flimsy one that's in the early prototypes, but it won't blow anyone away with the quality as far as touch and weight goes. But it matches great, folds halfway back so you may not need to remove it often, and a nice touch is that it snaps "closed" (down) with hidden magnets in the rails rather than just flopping down and laying there by virtue of just its own weight.

When you slide it in place (NOT simple oddly), it does set back into the right place at the back of the track with a click that tells you it's fully seated.

View attachment 16468

View attachment 16469

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360804530.708854.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360804555.125190.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360804591.025811.jpg

All in all a nice addition and I'm glad I got it, though not the most exciting upgrade for the vehicle. But at least I can leave things concealed in the trunk if I prefer rather than the frunk.

Thanks for the pictures.

My 88 accord hatchback, had a similar folding shelf. It also had ties, bungee cords, one on each side, that tied it to the hatch. When the hatch was opened, the shelf folded upward and when the hatch closed, the shelf also closed.

Yep. Lots of cars have those cords that lift the shelf when the hatch goes up. (Honda, Ford...) Other cars (Mercedes, Lexus) have a retractable window shade-type device. Tesla's is a manual thing, kinda like a folding board covered by carpet on one side and vinyl on the other. Reminds me of those old folding table pads/protectors my family had as a kid - protect and cushion the dining room table under the tablecloth. Folds just like one of those, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Here it is removed and partially folded so you can see the attachment slider devices, if anyone cares.

esa8ymyg.jpg

It's hard to explain why, but the thing is finnicky and really a pain to put back in if you've taken it out. Be prepared to wrestle with getting each side back into the track properly if you remove it. But maybe with practice it's easier. Or I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures.

My 88 accord hatchback, had a similar folding shelf. It also had ties, bungee cords, one on each side, that tied it to the hatch. When the hatch was opened, the shelf folded upward and when the hatch closed, the shelf also closed.

The Leaf has a rigid "cargo cover" tied to the hatch. The downside is that sometimes you don't realize that your "cargo" is too tall, and you can crush the cargo cover with the tailgate if you slam it down when the cargo cover can't get down into it's fully lowered position.

When I stopped by the NY service center, they had just gotten in a bunch too. One was put in my car before I left. It's one of those things you don't really need or miss IMO, but it's nice to have.

Yep. Lots of cars have those cords that lift the shelf when the hatch goes up. (Honda, Ford...) Other cars (Mercedes, Lexus) have a retractable window shade-type device. Tesla's is a manual thing, kinda like a folding board covered by carpet on one side and vinyl on the other. Reminds me of those old folding table pads/protectors my family had as a kid - protect and cushion the dining room table under the tablecloth. Folds just like one of those, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Here it is removed and partially folded so you can see the attachment slider devices, if anyone cares.

esa8ymyg.jpg

It's hard to explain why, but the thing is finnicky and really a pain to put back in if you've taken it out. Be prepared to wrestle with getting each side back into the track properly if you remove it. But maybe with practice it's easier. Or I'm an idiot.

Thank you for the picture, really was wondering how it was going to fit in and work :)

Kind of funny that VIN 1299 gets the parcel shelf .... when they are being "delivered in order" if I read a certain someone's blog correctly.

Hi steve. I hear you... I saw someone here with vin in the 4000s who got his parcel shelf a few days ago.

But let me play devils advocate for a second, and believe me I'm no defender of tesla's support team. (But I find the service personnel to be excellent).

But let's say Menlo got in 500 of these (no idea how many the did, but was told it was a full palette). So if Menlo has customers with vins 200-2000 waiting (possible since not everyone needs a shelf and some got them at factory) and if one of those has my number on it, if they call all of us should they have to wait for customers to actually pick them up in vin order? I work right near Tesla and was able to go right after the call came. No reason they should tell me to wait for the other guys to make an appointment and come in before handing me mine if I'm there.

Anyway, while that would technically violate George's blog post it makes more sense to call everyone's who has one in and say - come in and get it.

Now how vin 4000 got his I have no idea. Possible that squeeky wheels get grease.

Last edited:
So, when removed and folded, does it fit into the under-floor storage area (for those without kid seats in the trunk)?

Hmm. Looking at it I'd have said "no way". But I decided to try it and it does fit by virtue of the left side of our hatch areas being open to that area for the charge cables. So it fits despite it being wider than the hatch cover. And it's still a hassle getting the shelf back in. :)

Hmm. Looking at it I'd have said "no way". But I decided to try it and it does fit by virtue of the left side of our hatch areas being open to that area for the charge cables. So it fits despite it being wider than the hatch cover. And it's still a hassle getting the shelf back in. :)

That's awesome! While it does sound inconvenient, I'm thinking that it will work okay if one is out running errands with the parcel shelf in place, and then needs to temporarily stow it while putting larger cargo in the trunk.

I've found it's quite easy to install if you look underneath at the track it goes on while you put it in, rather than working blindly from the top.

JoshG, Thanks for posting the parcel shelf pictures. Two questions for you. How were contacted that the parcel shelf and CF spoiler were ready for you - phone call, e-mail? Can you also post a picture of the CF spoiler please? I am curious to see how it looks on a dark colored car since I have blue. Thanks.

JoshG, Thanks for posting the parcel shelf pictures. Two questions for you. How were contacted that the parcel shelf and CF spoiler were ready for you - phone call, e-mail? Can you also post a picture of the CF spoiler please? I am curious to see how it looks on a dark colored car since I have blue. Thanks.
Sure, will take a picture tonight after work. But I can tell you the spoiler is MUCH more dramatic and noticeable on the light colors. On Black, it's hard to really see it's there from directly behind the car. Slightly more obvious from the side.

As for process, I was called by Menlo Park service team and they left a message that my CF Spoiler was in, and that coincidentally they also had just gotten a "full palette" of the parcel shelves (which I wasn't expecting since I'd heard so little about these). It sounded like the CF Spoilers come in from the factory with a specific VIN or customer name written on the box, but the parcel shelves don't... they're supposed to start calling or emailing their customers in order from what I could gather. Service writer said he'd check if my VIN was eligible for one in this first palette-load of shelves (leading me to believe they're truly trying their best to honor the FIFO promise), but given my relatively low number he said I was probably due one of these. I could come over and get them both... they even squeezed me in at 4pm when I arrived to get the spoiler installed, which takes about 20 minutes. I was impressed how carefully they aligned and centered the spoiler before applying the adhesive. They measured, eyeballed, taped it off, measured again, then applied it. looks perfect to me and things like this bug me if they're not exactly right.

Last edited:
Oh and here's a fun tip/story: I was done and pulling away when they waved me down and told me to come back. They probably know how picky I am about little details and said they had forgotten to go into the service screens and update the little picture of my car that comes up when you press the "T" logo on the screen. There's actually a setting there whether to show the spoiler or not, just like there is for color and wheel choice. Mine's a Performance edition, and does show the "P85" logo on screen, but the setting for the spoiler is actually separate.

(YES, I tried to sit in the car and see if I could catch the new service-screen code number, but they were on to me. "Sorry, we can't let you be in the car for this step..." and then told me that when the last code got out, everyone who ever touches a car was warned that if the revised code got out the people responsible would be fired or some such severe punishment.)

Anyway, especially on a black car, you have to squint and look incredibly closely to see the little tiny spoiler in that picture, but it's there. I'm sure it's far more noticeable on a white car. Another interesting attention to detail that they put in to the software.

So if you care about things like this, remind them to update the picture of your car in the service screens after you get your spoiler installed! They nearly forgot for me, and I bet it's a common omission for a post-delivery spoiler install. And if you catch the service code... PM me! :biggrin: It was fascinating to see all the pages of options they have there for checking and changing things.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you also post a picture of the CF spoiler please? I am curious to see how it looks on a dark colored car since I have blue. Thanks.
sure. as you can see, the spoiler is barely noticeable on a black car:
IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg