Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gasoline heater for Winter driving?

Model S uses waste motor/inverter heat to warm the pack, probably not enough extra heat to provide much for the cabin. Remember one of the main benefits of an EV drivetrain is high efficiency, which means little waste heat.

so what happens if the Tesla S stands still in winter for a week? Any insulation around the pack ? vaccum insulation would be ideal, very thin but efficient.

Model X #1417
    Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    My sense is that the big hit comes from heating the battery, not the cabin. The battery is a big, broad sheet under the car that is constantly radiating any internal heat to the atmosphere.
    Indeed, and subject as well to cold wind blowing over it at high velocity, not to mention splashing from sub-freezing water/salt mixtures.

Something to consider as well, is that for the majority of people whose power doesn't come from mainly renewables, burning gasoline for heat is far more efficient and less carbon heavy than electric power generation, transmission, and battery storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    so what happens if the Tesla S stands still in winter for a week? Any insulation around the pack ? vaccum insulation would be ideal, very thin but efficient.
    I doubt there is any type of insulation that would be effective for a week, or even much more than a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    I doubt there is any type of insulation that would be effective for a week, or even much more than a day or two.
    Ha! you need to come to germany. We have houses here that heat their houses with warm water that is kept in a big hot water tank(35,000liter at 70°C)
    They make the water warm in summer with solar heating. Such a tank only looses a degree or so in a week. Of course they use like 20cm insulation.
    But vacuum insulation is like 5-10 more effective than rockwool. Only flaw here with vacuum insulation is that it is stiff(not bendable and cost 80€/m²)
    They dont need any additional energy. fully solar heatd.

Vacuum insulation looses 0,73 W/m²K (10mm)
    So at 20° delta T one m² loss is only 14Wh/m²
    Surface of tesla battery? 10m²? 140W loss per hour. How much uses Model s now,if anything?

Question is , would it be worth it to spend 140W of power to an e-car if it stands over night plugged in or over a wireless pad.
    Maybe.....
    Last edited by Kitt; 2014-04-22 at 05:08 AM.

Since you aren't going to store water in a huge super insulated tank in a Tesla it's not a relevant technology.
    If the car can be plugged in over night then I believe it will keep the battery heated to some degree anyway.

ha.... i have forgotten that. Great!
    At 1000W 5% loss means 50 W heating.
    I wasn't thinking of putting a water tank into a car. lol

Thread Information