Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone removed the front bumper yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to install a Passport 9500ci in a couple of days, and think that I'll need to pop the front bumper off to correctly mount the laser shifter (I hope not, but I need to plan for the worst). Has anyone done this yet, and if so, any tips??? I'm also considering the parking sensors too for a later project, which would require removal of both bumpers.

Thanks, that helps, hopefully I won't have to remove the entire bumper. Now I just need to find a spare hole through to the passenger compartment for the cables. It's tomorrow's project, I'll try to take photos.

Please document it. I want to hardwire my radar detector (just power from the fuse box in the frunk into the cabin and then up the A-pillar to near the rearview mirror.

From my post on installing a No Holes License Plate Frame:

Removing the nose cone:

I started on the passengers side just below the hood line where the straight horizontal chrome trim comes to a point with the oval shaped chrome trim. I used a cloth covered putty knife to gently pry the nose cone away from it's attachment point. There are 5 attachment points across the front and 1 on each lower side (7 total). There are an additional 6 tabs along the bottom which have barbs on them. Once you get the nose cone out enough to grab onto you can use your hands to free it from all of the attachment points. I advise being gentle, however Tesla has removed my nose cone twice and they literally grabbed the corner with their bare hands and pulled the piece right off. Personally, I like the slow hand approach.

Nose cone attachment points; the bottom tab's attachment points are not ID'ed in photo
View attachment 16031

Using a cloth covered small putty knife to get started removing the nose cone
View attachment 16030

View attachment 16031
View attachment 16030