Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Air Vehicle stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
This was something I just roughed togeather as an Avatar but it might make a good sales item for the Tesla store.

At least it's a better than the lame one the CA DMV makes us put on our cars.

attachment.php?attachmentid=826&d=1279739228.jpg

Attachments

• Tesla DMV sticker clubsize.jpg
    Tesla DMV sticker clubsize.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,719
Last edited:
I like it!

I keep thinking how hard it would be to bring yourself to stick any kind of carpool stickers on the beautiful roadster.

The only white vehicle I have ever owned is the RangerEV I bought, and I was willing to accept white because it makes the EV carpool stickers blend in nicely.

Lets see what Arnold does with his Roadster! Perhaps they will have special "commemorative edition" carpool stickers that just happen to be in Tesla colors!

(Or maybe he and Maria get carpool access regardless of what they are driving?)

For those not in California, this is what we have to put on our Electric Vehicles. Three of them go on the car's back and rear sides.

These things are big, at about five inches across. When you look at a car with them plastered on they look like some zealot machine with their crazy message stickers all over the back of their ride.

We deface our cars so we can drive in the far left Carpool or "Diamond" lane normally reserved for a cars with two or more passengers.

Attachments

• clean_air_white.jpg
    clean_air_white.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 43
Those horizontal words are "holographic" and only show faintly at certain angles.

On a white vehicle, the EV badges don't stand out as much as they do on a dark vehicle.
ranger_hov.jpg

For Hybrid cars, the stickers are yellow which don't blend in as well
enclosure..ee9a36b

Last edited:
Is anyone planning on putting the Clean Air Vehicle stickers on their roadster ? According to the instructions, you're supposed to put the 2 large ones on the sides (behind the rear wheel) and the small ones on the front and rear bumpers. Given the shape of the car, I don't think that the small sticker on the rear bumper will be necessary (although the CHP might disagree...). I personally wouldn't mind being able to use the HOV lane whenever possible so I'll probably put the stickers on the car even though they don't look great (better white than yellow). I'll use 3M film just in case I need to move them or remove them later on.

2690691774_5ab8f2829e.jpg
2689880119_ed6c3b2216.jpg

Of course I plan to use them! One of the benefits of spending the money on a pure EV! And without the quota that the yellow hybrid stickers have.

I remember when the RAV4 EV came out, many owners were unhappy with the aesthetics of marring their bumper with the sticker - but everyone I knew put it on anyway. The benefits outweigh the ugliness.

I'm totally stressed about the stickers. I will probably decide when the stickers actually arrive. Why do they need so many big, ugly stickers? Why not a window sticker? Or a different-colored license plate?

I smell a Tesla rebellion coming on!

Perhaps discretely placed in the corner of the front and back windows - like our UK road tax discs - would be acceptable.

Is this policed by real cops or some kind of camera system?

jacb_track.jpg

n583855413_3272976_8391.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody claimed that governments were good at dong anything aesthetic. Special EV plates in place of the stickers would be better.

I'm probably not going to put the stickers on.

Yes, it would be nice to be Steve, and get away with a barcode for the license plate.

We have Vanity Plates on which we can request a personalized plate with 2 to 6 or 7 letters and/or numbers to spell what we want (within reason).

A colored plate would be the way to go so Roadster drivers can keep their TESLA08 plates intact.

Actually there are many California plate designs and the extra money you pay for each goes to a cause. California Special Interest License Plates

I suggest a design with a lightning bolt across it with the extra paid funds going to a related green cause like solar or wind generation of energy or smog reduction.

Yeah my point was that this should be something that DMV offers instead of the really really silly HOV stickers. Different color or symbol or whatever you like, blinking LEDs for all I care :) The point is that the DMV shouldn't require you to blanket your car with stickers, that's just plain silly IMHO (or maybe not that humble).

Cobos

Could not agree more with you Cobos. Silly is the best way to describe those stickers. There is no way I will put them on my roadster (next year). I'd rather "forward creep" down the freeway. It will give more people time to gawk at my car anyway.

And Martin, for what it's worth, please don't deface your beautiful car with those things!

Tim