Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Eco Hitch Installed - Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

Just got my Model S back yesterday from my friends body shop. Had the front (and entire hood) wrapped and also had my Torklift Central Eco Hitch installed and attached my Saris Freedom and loaded 1 of my bikes on to see how everything worked & looked.

I took some pictures for you.... I just love this solution much more than getting a roof rack and putting my bikes up top.

Hitch mounting end removed - clean invisible look:
IMG_0652.jpg

Here's what the end of the hitch looks like:
IMG_0661.JPG

Hitch end bolted on:
IMG_0655.jpg

Saris Freedom Rack attached:
IMG_0659.jpg

1 Bike Mounted on rack (room for 2):
IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg

Aaron

Reactions: PeterK
John

Won't be starting biking until early spring, but will definitely plan on taking a known route with and without the bike rack & bikes attached!

In the summer I'll be going up to Provincetown and will want to know range penalty!

Aaron

In another thread on the same hitch,

Model S - Hitch discussion - Page 12,

it was mentioned that a possible rear-collision sensor (for airbag deployment?) was removed in order to install the hitch. In the movie you can see it being removed (round black ring with wiring in center of bumper) but not replaced (nor does it look like it could go back where it came from). Do you know what happened to this sensor in your installation, since this has possible safety implications?

In another thread on the same hitch,

Model S - Hitch discussion - Page 12,

it was mentioned that a possible rear-collision sensor (for airbag deployment?) was removed in order to install the hitch. In the movie you can see it being removed (round black ring with wiring in center of bumper) but not replaced (nor does it look like it could go back where it came from). Do you know what happened to this sensor in your installation, since this has possible safety implications?

Musterion

They cut that out in the video. It gets placed in the same place but on the hitch once its installed... They did that for mine as well.

Aaron

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic Aaron! Thanks so much for the pics and the info. Have you asked Tesla at all as to how installing the hitch may or may not affect the warranty?

StephRob

Actually - I didn't! But I did have the discussion of having it installed when I was at the Queens Service Center getting my car inspected and detailed and my DS and a couple of others there didn't say anything... I know its not official, but I'm fairly sure it shouldn't cause a problem....

Aaron

Aaron - Now that you have lived with the hitch for a little while do you still recommend it? Does it require a body shop to install?

Enadler

I am *just* about to start biking again now the the temperature has risen. Actually went up to Beacon, NY to hike today. Next weekend I start biking again and will let you know how it works out...

Meanwhile, I haven't had any problems with the car itself with the hitch installed....

Aaron

PS - the hole cut in the bottom of the car is on the covering of the undercarriage, not the bumper...

I completed this upgrade about three weeks ago. It took me three hours to complete the job. The instructions Torquelift provide are pretty good. The most nerve wracking park is drilling the two 4" holes in the bottom of the rear bumper cover.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This hole looks huge, however you pretty much need to go this big to fit your hand up there to tighten the bolt that secures the receiver.

bikesa.jpg

This is the Thule 990xt Doubletrack bike rack. I've done two 80 mile trip so far with no issues and no noticeable effect on range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have installed the hitch and it is not very difficult to do if you have good automotive skills and a few tools. Hauls a couple of bikes no problem. Is a little loose in the for aft direction even if very tight so bikes rock forward and backward a little bit. Worth doing if you have the need.

Interested in doing the install myself, have worked on cars before and have a good collection of automotive tools. The on line video starts after the black bumper is removed and doesn't show it's removal or reinstall. How difficult was that portion?

Interested in doing the install myself, have worked on cars before and have a good collection of automotive tools. The on line video starts after the black bumper is removed and doesn't show it's removal or reinstall. How difficult was that portion?

I'm wondering the same thing. Video just shows the easy stuff as the bumper seems to be most difficult and risky portion. Any insight here would be helpful. Play by play with pics would be ideal.