Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a NEMA 14-50 in a condo garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an email with my delivery window which is march 11-25th. I'm super excited but can't figure out how to get started prepping my spot in my building so I have charging available as the car gets here. From what I read, I need to get an electrician to come and run a line from the conduit to my spot and install a NEMA 14-50 plug. I also ordered the HPWC and have no idea how this should get installed. Do I have to wait to get both installed at the same time? Am I able to install HPWC after the 14-50 is installed and it will just be "added on?"

Since this is a condo building, I won't have much flexibility I feel so I think getting everything figured out ahead of time would be ideal. I am a first time EV owner but couldn't be more excited about making this leap! Any help is greatly appreciated!

My car is a P85 Black, black with CF, 21s, pano roof, spoiler, chargers, etc... everything but the rear facing seats :)

I just received an email with my delivery window which is march 11-25th. I'm super excited but can't figure out how to get started prepping my spot in my building so I have charging available as the car gets here. From what I read, I need to get an electrician to come and run a line from the conduit to my spot and install a NEMA 14-50 plug. I also ordered the HPWC and have no idea how this should get installed. Do I have to wait to get both installed at the same time? Am I able to install HPWC after the 14-50 is installed and it will just be "added on?"

Since this is a condo building, I won't have much flexibility I feel so I think getting everything figured out ahead of time would be ideal. I am a first time EV owner but couldn't be more excited about making this leap! Any help is greatly appreciated!

My car is a P85 Black, black with CF, 21s, pano roof, spoiler, chargers, etc... everything but the rear facing seats :)

If you ordered the HPWC, Tesla will deliver you a NEMA 6-50 adapter with the car, if you don't receive the HPWC in time. Your DS will send you a "temporary install" for a NEMA 6-50 outlet that describes how to prep for the HPWC, and how to charge from the 6-50 in the meantime. Reach out to your DS or [email protected] and they'll provide that.

I'm assuming you have already received approval form your HOA to install the line and outlet?

Yes, just going to tap right into it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

If you ordered the HPWC, Tesla will deliver you a NEMA 6-50 adapter with the car, if you don't receive the HPWC in time. Your DS will send you a "temporary install" for a NEMA 6-50 outlet that describes how to prep for the HPWC, and how to charge from the 6-50 in the meantime. Reach out to your DS or [email protected] and they'll provide that.

So what do I have to tell my electrician to do before the car gets here? Is it just a regular 240V outlet that I have to install?

Per FlasherZ, I'd contact the ownership team. Most use the 14-50 with the UMC, but if you are planning to get the HPWC, then there may be a different setup that allows you to charge while you wait and preps you for the HPWC to be installed.

Your condo is going to pay for all the conduit to run from the power panel to your space? How far is the distance between? Man, I wish my HOA was like yours. I'll eventually post my whole saga with my HOA. And that's even with me willing to pay the $6000 or so to cover the line and outlet install.

I'm still going to be paying for it. All I told them so far is that I need to get a 240V plug installed (like the one people have their stoves plugged into, the HOA seemed to understand that comparison) at my parking spot. I got quoted $1600 for the work. That's it.

I'm still going to be paying for it. All I told them so far is that I need to get a 240V plug installed (like the one people have their stoves plugged into, the HOA seemed to understand that comparison) at my parking spot. I got quoted $1600 for the work. That's it.

You have 2 options:

If you need 4 hour (from empty) charging -- and ordered the HPWC -- you'll want to have the electrician do all the necessary prep work, then install the temporary NEMA 6-50 receptacle (standard "welder outlet") until your HPWC arrives (at which point the electrician will switch over). Tesla has a specific set of instructions for this and Ownership should be able to get you that.

If you only need 8 hour (from empty) charging -- as is typical for most people -- you can just have the electrician install a NEMA 14-50, and use the UMC supplied with the car to charge it. This is the standard "stove outlet" you speak of. You won't need the HPWC in this case.

You have 2 options:

If you need 4 hour (from empty) charging -- and ordered the HPWC -- you'll want to have the electrician do all the necessary prep work, then install the temporary NEMA 6-50 receptacle (standard "welder outlet") until your HPWC arrives (at which point the electrician will switch over). Tesla has a specific set of instructions for this and Ownership should be able to get you that.

If you only need 8 hour (from empty) charging -- as is typical for most people -- you can just have the electrician install a NEMA 14-50, and use the UMC supplied with the car to charge it. This is the standard "stove outlet" you speak of. You won't need the HPWC in this case.

So just to get this straight, if I want to be ready to charge the car once it arrives, I'll need the 14-50 installed. Once the HPWC ships (assuming it will be after I receive my car) I can ask an electrician to just swap out the 14-50 for the 6-50? Or is this not possible and one would have to run a new line? Sorry, hopefully I'm running out of stupid questions. :)

So just to get this straight, if I want to be ready to charge the car once it arrives, I'll need the 14-50 installed. Once the HPWC ships (assuming it will be after I receive my car) I can ask an electrician to just swap out the 14-50 for the 6-50? Or is this not possible and one would have to run a new line? Sorry, hopefully I'm running out of stupid questions. :)

You can install a 6-50 instead of a 14-50, and run 3 conductors instead of 4. (Be sure the electrician runs the proper size wire for the HPWC.) Tesla will provide you with a 6-50 adapter, since you ordered the HPWC. When the HPWC arrives, swap the 6-50 for the HPWC and swap the 50-amp break for 100-amp breaker (or whatever is appropriate for the size of conductors that were run.)

You can install a 6-50 instead of a 14-50, and run 3 conductors instead of 4. (Be sure the electrician runs the proper size wire for the HPWC.) Tesla will provide you with a 6-50 adapter, since you ordered the HPWC. When the HPWC arrives, swap the 6-50 for the HPWC and swap the 50-amp break for 100-amp breaker (or whatever is appropriate for the size of conductors that were run.)

OK, so I will ask them to install a 6-50 in the garage using 3 conductors. I will be able to use this before the HPWC gets here correct? Is there instructions that Telsa provides on the how to do this? I wouldn't want an electrician relying on me and my knowledge here.

OK, so I will ask them to install a 6-50 in the garage using 3 conductors. I will be able to use this before the HPWC gets here correct? Is there instructions that Telsa provides on the how to do this? I wouldn't want an electrician relying on me and my knowledge here.

No you need to tell they you need to install a 100A equipment, but need a temporary NEMA 6-50 plug. You need the thicker copper pulled. You can swap in a 100A breaker in place of the 50A one, and the HPWC later.

OK, so I will ask them to install a 6-50 in the garage using 3 conductors. I will be able to use this before the HPWC gets here correct?

That's correct. Make sure Tesla provides you with a 6-50 adapter.

Is there instructions that Telsa provides on the how to do this? I wouldn't want an electrician relying on me and my knowledge here.

Here are the instructions for the HPWC:

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_hpwc_installation_guide.pdf

I know I saw an instruction sheet somewhere that explained the temporary installation of the 6-50, but I can't find it right now. Be sure your electrician runs the right size wire, since the HPWC requires bigger wire than a 6-50 (assuming you will be using your HPWC to charge at 80 amps).

I know I saw an instruction sheet somewhere that explained the temporary installation of the 6-50, but I can't find it right now. Be sure your electrician runs the right size wire, since the HPWC requires bigger wire than a 6-50 (assuming you will be using your HPWC to charge at 80 amps).

I tried to find my copy as well, I have no idea where it went and I dug through all my e-mail from Tesla. That's why I kept pointing him at the Ownership folks :)

ok, so I'll just ask them to run 100A equipment (not sure what this means to me but hopefully the electrician will know) and ask for a NEMA 6-50 plug to be installed. I'll need a 50A breaker to be installed that I can swap out later for a 100... I think this is correct

ok, so I'll just ask them to run 100A equipment (not sure what this means to me but hopefully the electrician will know) and ask for a NEMA 6-50 plug to be installed. I'll need a 50A breaker to be installed that I can swap out later for a 100... I think this is correct

Here's the terminology to use...

Ask for a wiring run that will support a 100A circuit (#2 or #3), between a 50A breaker and a large junction box on the wall where you will mount the HPWC. Ask him to leave about 1' of extra wire in the junction box. Inside the junction box, have him tie that 100A wiring to a short run of 6/2+ground and mount a temporary NEMA 6-50R "welder outlet". Tell him that when the HPWC arrives, he will remove the outlet and junction box, tie the 100A wiring directly to the device, and swap out the 50A breaker for a 100A breaker. That should be all the information he needs to know. Print this post out and give it to him if you need.

Call Tesla ownership and ask them to e-mail you the instructions for the temporary 6-50 installation, if you want something to print for him from Tesla... it says the same stuff but in a nicer font with some pictures. :)

Here's the terminology to use...

Ask for a wiring run that will support a 100A circuit (#2 or #3), between a 50A breaker and a large junction box on the wall where you will mount the HPWC. Ask him to leave about 1' of extra wire in the junction box. Inside the junction box, have him tie that 100A wiring to a short run of 6/2+ground and mount a temporary NEMA 6-50R "welder outlet". Tell him that when the HPWC arrives, he will remove the outlet and junction box, tie the 100A wiring directly to the device, and swap out the 50A breaker for a 100A breaker. That should be all the information he needs to know. Print this post out and give it to him if you need.

Call Tesla ownership and ask them to e-mail you the instructions for the temporary 6-50 installation, if you want something to print for him from Tesla... it says the same stuff but in a nicer font with some pictures. :)

This is awesome! Thank you!

Oh they are by no means easy. I just know the developer and I am going though him so once it is in, there is nothing they can say. As far as they know, I'm getting a "plug" installed near my parking spot for charging a "car battery" :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm jealous you have such an easy going condo. But I'm very glad you're getting this done! Please post pics of the install!
Oh they are by no means easy. I just know the developer and I am going though him so once it is in, there is nothing they can say. As far as they know, I'm getting a "plug" installed near my parking spot for charging a "car battery" :)

Will put pics up the day it is done!

I would like to install thicker wire that can easily handle 80A continuous load from the start so that I can add at a later date the twin chargers and HPWC and not have to install all new wiring at that point and instead just change out the 50A breaker to a 100A breaker and remove the 14-50 at the terminating end and wire in the HPWC. Of course it might be slightly more complicated than that as the 14-50 can't take a thicker wire than #4, so I would need some kind of junction box near the 14-50 to convert from the thicker wire to the #4 or #6 wire needed on the 14-50.

Can I get the 6-50 adaptor from Tesla even though I have NOT ordered the twin chargers and HPWC with the car?
I guess I can always try and ask. I was hoping to save the upfront $2700 for HPWC and twin chargers and maybe upgrade the car a year or two down the line...