Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

directional wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
VP13
2491772666_8bc90609ea.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: Tesla in Half Moon Bay

Oddly enough, looks like the wheels are on backwards. I think we normally see the wheels oriented so that the spokes are angled towards the direction of forward motion, not away from it as we see here.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, looks like the wheels are on backwards.

They are. Does this make any significant difference given that the forces on the wheel will reverse when switching from traction to braking?

Are owners allowed to swap the front pair over and the rear pair over? (I think front and rear are different diameters)

They are. Does this make any significant difference given that the forces on the wheel will reverse when switching from traction to braking?

Are owners allowed to swap the front pair over and the rear pair over? (I think front and rear are different diameters)

I think front and rear tires may be different widths as well (at least they are on the Elise) so i wouldn't swap them. At any rate, the unusual direction of the spokes on the wheels indicates a left/right swap, not front/back.

The directional spokes must be just for show and shouldn't have any affect on the traction since the rim of the wheel should not be deforming. The tires, however, are likely directional. So maybe the tires got mounted to the wheels opposite from normal.

Umm, mount the right wheels on the left side and the left wheels on the right side?

You're right.

This was what I was thinking:

Wheels that have spokes spinning clockwise when viewed on the right side, will appear to spin counter-clockwise when viewed from the left side.

But, I forgot that a wheel can only be installed one way, so when mounted on a car, can only be viewed one way. A clockwise spoke wheel on the right side of the car, will still be a clokwise spoke wheel when mounted on the left side of the car because the wheel needs to be flipped over.

So, they have two different wheel designs for the same car (clockwise and counter-clockwise) Isn't that a bit unusual?

Umm, mount the right wheels on the left side and the left wheels on the right side?

If you prefer the wheels on the left side to appear clockwise (and on tghe rirght site counter clockwise), The better answer would be to have a tire place remount the tires so that they run in the correct direction after the wheels are mounted.

This is because the tires are designed to work better in one direction than the other.

So, they have two different wheel designs for the same car (clockwise and counter-clockwise) Isn't that a bit unusual?

Yeah that makes no sense to me from an aesthetic prospective and in an extreme case an aerodynamic one as the orientation could have a different affect on airflow on both sides.

I suppose from an economic viewpoint it's better to only have to order 2 sets of 2 wheels per car rather than 4 since the front and rear wheels are different sizes.

Allow me to share some photos of the beauty, 2010 Roadster Sport, signature 30/250.

IMG_8650_01.jpg

IMG_8672_01.jpg

Here posing with the american fusion red brother.. (US#476)
IMG_8692_01.jpg
Wow, great photos! I notice that the chirality of the wheel spokes is opposite from how we normally see them. Does Tesla have a preferred direction for aesthetic reasons?

Last edited:
Yep, it does look "backwards". That wouldn't be the first time we have seen a Roadster with mis-mounted wheels. I don't know if it was intentional or a mistake.