Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Seat Entrance Leather Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have similar issue?

1.jpg
2.jpg

The problem is that this car has too many soft surfaces near the door openings. Look at just about any other car, and the areas around the door and where a person would normally rub are hard surfaces. Too bad, because these areas are going to look ratty after a while, and it is one of the first things you notice when you open the door to get in.

The problem is that this car has too many soft surfaces near the door openings. Look at just about any other car, and the areas around the door and where a person would normally rub are hard surfaces. Too bad, because these areas are going to look ratty after a while, and it is one of the first things you notice when you open the door to get in.
Exactly! I've same concern. I don't want my car look like these after a few months.

IMG_2852.JPG

FYI
Tesla may cover this. I say may because I'm not sure if there is a time factor. But I've had my car only 3 weeks and already have a small wear patch on the corner of the B Pillar. I showed it to my service guy and he is ordering a replacement under warranty.

BTW I noticed it a little over a week ago and created an exit profile which moves the seat forward and brings the steering wheel in toward the dash and up allowing me to exit the car without hitting the B Pillar. Takes a little longer to get out of the car but it looks like that stopped any further damage to the pillar.

I suspect this would be considered a wear and tear item and not subject to warranty repair... at least officially. Just my opinion. But I agree - it's bad design and either was inadequately tested, overlooked or frankly ignored.

Band - Aid approaches may be limited to film coating or hard plastic coating.

Otherwise, you need to be conscious of how you enter the car every time.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I think it is very reasonable to expect seats and surroundings upholstered in leather to last with continued use. That is one reason leather was used in automotive seats, better wear and longevity. I had a 98 C5 corvette and put about 30k on that car while I owned it and GM replaced the seat covers three times under warranty. The reasoning was they had skimped on the quality of the material . The door post entry is a poor design on the front seat entry of the S and if it has to be like that for some engineering or safety reason then the contact area needs to be covered with a very tough leather cover or some suitable protection, an owner has a right to expect a car they look after properly to maintain it's performance and appearance , I'm very confident TESLA is researching this issue and will come up with a proper fix.

SKUFF sounds like a great product, but isn't really an answer for what is a design flaw for both the front and rear seat wear areas. I've written to GeorgeB who was already aware of this. We need to be certain to keep some pressure on the execs at TM because some of the service people have been told to advise owners that it isn't to be covered under warranty.

SKUFF sounds like a great product, but isn't really an answer for what is a design flaw for both the front and rear seat wear areas. I've written to GeorgeB who was already aware of this. We need to be certain to keep some pressure on the execs at TM because some of the service people have been told to advise owners that it isn't to be covered under warranty.

Agreed.

But for those experiencing problems, it might be a good temporary fix.

I'll probably order some and test it on my shoes or something first unless I hear sooner from the people here first! :)

Sent via Tapatalk.