Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Seat Entrance Leather Wear

Replacement is simply reloading and I can not imagine they will do that for long. Hopefully it is a stop gap until a solution is found.
    P8911 ViN4288 85KW Silver Grey Obeche P85 21s Dual/Tech/Sound/Air Delivered 2/6/2013.
    P14936 Model S #2 14694 Red/Black/Black P85+ Dual Charger Solid Roof P+ 7/20 delivery.
    White/Tan S85 18201 ordered 7.26 delivered 9/2/12 (accident damage 12/12). Replacement White/Tan S85 delivered 3/5/14

I suspect this would be considered a wear and tear item and not subject to warranty repair... at least officially. Just my opinion. But I agree - it's bad design and either was inadequately tested, overlooked or frankly ignored.

Band - Aid approaches may be limited to film coating or hard plastic coating.

Otherwise, you need to be conscious of how you enter the car every time.

Sent via Tapatalk.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

This looks interesting. Have to read more about it.

Info - SKUFF Protective Coatings

Sent via Tapatalk.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

I think it is very reasonable to expect seats and surroundings upholstered in leather to last with continued use. That is one reason leather was used in automotive seats, better wear and longevity. I had a 98 C5 corvette and put about 30k on that car while I owned it and GM replaced the seat covers three times under warranty. The reasoning was they had skimped on the quality of the material . The door post entry is a poor design on the front seat entry of the S and if it has to be like that for some engineering or safety reason then the contact area needs to be covered with a very tough leather cover or some suitable protection, an owner has a right to expect a car they look after properly to maintain it's performance and appearance , I'm very confident TESLA is researching this issue and will come up with a proper fix.

Gets good reviews on Amazon. Also found coupon code FIRSTTIMER for 10% off. Might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post

Sent via Tapatalk.
    Last edited by carrerascott; 2013-02-13 at 08:45 AM.
    P85 Black/Black/Pano/Obeche Flat/Tech/Sound/Air/21" Silver/Twin/HPWC -- Delivery Window Feb 28-Mar 14
    Deposit 11/13/2012 Finalized 1/11/13 Pre-MVPA Signed 1/11/13 Delivery Info Requested 1/28/13
    DELIVERED MARCH 7, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post

That does look like it might do the job, thanks for the link. I have ordered some and will apply it on all four wear points when I get my car before there is any wear and report back on its effectiveness.
    Canadian Model S - P98 - VIN 5297: 85kWh, Dolphin Grey, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio+, Air, 19", Pano, Twin, Parcel
    Reservation made November, 2010
    Brought home March, 2013

SKUFF sounds like a great product, but isn't really an answer for what is a design flaw for both the front and rear seat wear areas. I've written to GeorgeB who was already aware of this. We need to be certain to keep some pressure on the execs at TM because some of the service people have been told to advise owners that it isn't to be covered under warranty.
    "If this is the future, I'm not that worried." Jay Leno (after driving a Tesla)
    Deposit: Oct '09. 2nd Model S: 85, Red, Tan Leather, Obeche Matte, Tech, Pano, Active Air, Armor, 19"

2013 P85+, X seq 2,318 andrewket's Avatar
    Items for Sale
    Hopefully tesla can create a plastic guard rather quickly. Minimize the number of cars that leave the factory without a fix.
    Model S P85+, red/black, CF trim+spoiler, all options in 2013, 19" TST grey wheels, Reus audio.
    Model X sequence P2,318 (gave up S476)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    SKUFF sounds like a great product, but isn't really an answer for what is a design flaw for both the front and rear seat wear areas. I've written to GeorgeB who was already aware of this. We need to be certain to keep some pressure on the execs at TM because some of the service people have been told to advise owners that it isn't to be covered under warranty.
    Agreed.

But for those experiencing problems, it might be a good temporary fix.

I'll probably order some and test it on my shoes or something first unless I hear sooner from the people here first!

Sent via Tapatalk.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE

Is the leather piece attached to the B-pillar and the rear door only available in the Signature or performance cars? Mine (non-performance 85kwh) looks totally different from the pictures in this thread.

Thread Information