Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging rate at 32 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in desperate need of some advice regarding charging options. I just got notified last week that my modelS is expected to be ready for pickup by this upcoming Friday...excited but caught a bit off guard as I really didnt expect to get the car so soon (my other excuse is that I've been preoccupied with my newborn)! Now I'm scrambling to get financing straightened out, but that's for another thread.

So of course my garage is not yet equipped with a NEMA 14-50 outlet yet. I hope it would be an easy installation because I have a subpanel already in my garage. Turns out it is only rated for 40 amps. I only have some garage lighting and the sprinkler system currently drawing power from this panel. From what I've gathered in other forum threads, I could draw down the tesla charging down to 32 amps. Any idea how much charging in miles per hour do I get at 32 amps versus 40 amps??

I'm also considering getting a second meter installed to take advantage of the Southern California Edison electric car charging rates. However, this is a much bigger project because the main panel is quite a distance from the garage. Further complicating things is that I am considering getting solar panels installed to further bring down electricity costs. Should I forgo the 2nd meter and just go for solar panels (and install the NEMA 14-50 outlet that would be limited to 32 amps). Or should I go for the 2nd meter, at which I would get a new outlet directly installed with 50 amps of power??

(my other excuse is that I've been preoccupied with my newborn)!

Congratulations! My 4th son was born November 30 (3 days after my Model S delivery!)

So of course my garage is not yet equipped with a NEMA 14-50 outlet yet. I hope it would be an easy installation because I have a subpanel already in my garage. Turns out it is only rated for 40 amps. I only have some garage lighting and the sprinkler system currently drawing power from this panel. From what I've gathered in other forum threads, I could draw down the tesla charging down to 32 amps. Any idea how much charging in miles per hour do I get at 32 amps versus 40 amps??

Depends on your voltage. At 240V, roughly 25.

I'm also considering getting a second meter installed to take advantage of the Southern California Edison electric car charging rates. However, this is a much bigger project because the main panel is quite a distance from the garage. Further complicating things is that I am considering getting solar panels installed to further bring down electricity costs. Should I forgo the 2nd meter and just go for solar panels (and install the NEMA 14-50 outlet that would be limited to 32 amps). Or should I go for the 2nd meter, at which I would get a new outlet directly installed with 50 amps of power??

Technically speaking, you are permitted by code to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 40A circuit breaker, but you are not permitted to plug the UMC into it because its instructions specify a 50A circuit (plugging it in violates those manufacturers' instructions, which is a violation of NEC 110.3(B)). To be compliant with your existing panel, you must install a NEMA 14-30 and charge at 24A.

I can't give you advice on whether solar would be the better way to go vs. putting in a second car charging meter. Based on what I read, I suspect it is, but it depends on how much you draw from the rest of your home. My advice would be to spend the dollars to upgrade the panel in your garage with a 125A panel, giving you room for 2 14-50's and your other assorted circuits.

4th son?? My hat is off to you...this is just my first child. Loving every minute of it and can't wait to take him out for some rides! So for at least a temporary solution, it sounds like I should just get the NEMA 14-30 (why not a 14-40 if it exists?) and charge at 24 amps? I will be taking delivery of a 60 kwh Model S which I would plan on using as my commuter car for a 110 mile round trip drive. Would charging at only 24A fill the battery if I allow about 12 hours to charge? What would potentially happen if I use the NEMA 14-50 outlet and draw at 30A?
As far as the my options with the 2nd meter, I've been waiting for almost a week for someone from So Cal Edison to evaluate my house. I've had a visit from Solar City regarding solar panels. It seems like the way to go but I'm still wondering why the plan they offered me involved me paying about $140 a month just to pay for the energy made by the leased solar panels that I don't own...yet I just visited my uncle who also had solar city install his panels that he fully owns after paying net $3800 and nothing extra each month...will need to call the solar city rep and ask what's the difference.

Loving every minute of it and can't wait to take him out for some rides!

My kids *love* riding in the Model S. The 12-year-old and the 10-week old ride in the second row, and the 4- and 6-year-olds ride in the third row, waving to the cars behind us.

So for at least a temporary solution, it sounds like I should just get the NEMA 14-30 (why not a 14-40 if it exists?) and charge at 24 amps? I will be taking delivery of a 60 kwh Model S which I would plan on using as my commuter car for a 110 mile round trip drive. Would charging at only 24A fill the battery if I allow about 12 hours to charge? What would potentially happen if I use the NEMA 14-50 outlet and draw at 30A?

24A (assuming 240V again) gives you roughly 19 rated miles per hour of charge. That would give you roughly 228 miles in 12 hours of charging -- so if you came home with anything more than 30 miles of range, it should be full for you -- and that should be fine for a 110 mile round trip. I did a 110 mile round trip to & within St. Louis yesterday, and came home with 95 rated miles (having started with 232 in standard mode), you'd certainly charge in 12 hours, easily.

Check out the FAQ thread for more information on charging options like this and an answer to your question about attaching a 14-50 receptacle to a 40A breaker.

As far as the my options with the 2nd meter, I've been waiting for almost a week for someone from So Cal Edison to evaluate my house. I've had a visit from Solar City regarding solar panels. It seems like the way to go but I'm still wondering why the plan they offered me involved me paying about $140 a month just to pay for the energy made by the leased solar panels that I don't own...yet I just visited my uncle who also had solar city install his panels that he fully owns after paying net $3800 and nothing extra each month...will need to call the solar city rep and ask what's the difference.

Sounds like you're doing the right research. Either way, I'd consider upgrading that panel to your garage.