Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Choice: Advice and Opinions Requested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to finalize by Feb 13, and I have pretty much decided on all of my options. I am planning on getting a multi-coat Red P85 with 19" wheels, Tech package, Sound package, black leather, CF trim, the CF spoiler and the parcel shelf. The last decision is the roof choice. Pano roof or no pano roof?

I have had sunroofs in all of my previous cars, but I have rarely used them (they are included as standard equipment on Acuras). My thinking is that a sun roof or pano roof will decrease the structural rigidity of the car somewhat, which might marginally affect the handling in a negative way. It is also a $1500.00 option for something I don't think I would use very much. The pano roof does give you some more head room, but I am only 5' 11", so I don't think that is a big issue. I think I have read that the pano roof tends to make it be a little colder in the back seat during winter. And finally, a pano roof is one more piece of equipment that might have problems in the future.

If I go with the regular roof, I have to decide between black and body color. I can't really decide which I think looks better. I would think that a black roof would make the car get hotter when it is parked in the sun, and if would slightly increase the load on the A/C system during the summer. But those concerns are probably pretty minor.

What do you think? Are you happy with the roof choice you made? Thanks for any thoughts about this!

Last edited:
I love the black roof; blends in with the green in the shade but, stands out beautifully in bright sun.

Glenn, I've seen the sole production red with the black roof in person at a Get Amped event; it's a killer combo!

There was also this experiment about how hot the interior may (or may not) get with black paint (the executive summary sums it up nicely):

How much hotter is a black car than a white car in the sun?

Regarding skipping the pano, I like the soft headliner all the way inside and I (at 6' 1") have a lot of head room in the front and am not missing the sunroof at all. The full headliner also brightens up the interior very much.

That was an interesting test regarding the temperature differences with different paint colors. I do think that the contrast between black and red will look nice, and maybe be a little more unusual too. How is your headroom in the back seat with the non-pano roof?

I decided not to get the pano, basically because I've never really used them in the past. I don't think there's a difference in structure, since the roof is added as a separate piece whether you get the pano or solid roof (that's why they're able to offer the black roof). In the front seat there's certainly no problem with headroom. In the back it's definitely tight (I'm also 5'11"). I rode in the back while my wife took a test drive (no pano). It was fine for the half hour of the test drive, but no more (my head did hit the roof). However, the only person who has ever sat in the back seat of my current car is my 3 year old son, so I don't think it's a problem.

That was an interesting test regarding the temperature differences with different paint colors. I do think that the contrast between black and red will look nice, and maybe be a little more unusual too. How is your headroom in the back seat with the non-pano roof?

So you don't feel alone ... I also have a red with black roof combo finalized. Like gg I saw the combination at the Get Amped event (and drove it). Thought it looked sharp.

I have to say I love my pano roof, even though I hardly ever open it. I really enjoy the feeling of space I get from being able to look up and see the sky and trees and so on. I actually don't like sun hitting me from above when I'm driving, but the glass in the pano roof is amazing and I NEVER notice the sun glaring in. It's like the best of both worlds: no sunny glare, but the ability to see the sky all the time. OTOH, one of the two issues with my car seems to be with the pano roof: a creak in the crossbar. (The other is headlights aimed far too low.)

Rear headroom is noticeably less compared to the pano. But, I'm actually reasonably comfy back there as I'm all long legs and medium torso. My son (the only regular backseat occupant) is only 6 yo and has a long way to go before hitting the headliner; so, it's been a non-issue for me.

The pano decision hinges on one thing: if you ever plan to have adults in the back seat who are over 6-feet tall, you need the pano roof. Simple.

As for a black painted roof vs. body color roof, I rather like the black roof, especially with white, red and gray cars. If you're getting a black interior, it would tie in nicely.

I don't see myself having rear seat passengers over 6-feet tall very often. I probably won't have that many rear-seat passengers at all, after the obligatory Tesla rides for family and friends. I think I am starting to lean more towards the black, non-pano roof. I'll just spend some more time in the Tesla Design Studio, flipping the roof choices back and forth!

The pano decision hinges on one thing: if you ever plan to have adults in the back seat who are over 6-feet tall, you need the pano roof. Simple.

As for a black painted roof vs. body color roof, I rather like the black roof, especially with white, red and gray cars. If you're getting a black interior, it would tie in nicely.
+1. Pano roofs on my Audi A4 and BMW 535xi caused problems and were definitely a source of noise, so I planned on getting a solid roof. Then the headroom stats came out. My son is 6'3" and would be cramped in the back without the pano.

Like others here, I think the black roof will look very sharp with the bright red. To my eye, the black roof improves the flow of the car's lines.

I have to say I love my pano roof, even though I hardly ever open it. I really enjoy the feeling of space I get from being able to look up and see the sky and trees and so on. I actually don't like sun hitting me from above when I'm driving, but the glass in the pano roof is amazing and I NEVER notice the sun glaring in. It's like the best of both worlds: no sunny glare, but the ability to see the sky all the time. OTOH, one of the two issues with my car seems to be with the pano roof: a creak in the crossbar. (The other is headlights aimed far too low.)

I don't hear a creak, but otherwise this is spot on why I like the sunroof.

I posted

- - - Updated - - -

I posted a similar question and got a lot of responses. My gray with black roof 60 should be here in a month so ill know then. But since I got a lot of replies you must want to read that thread. Search "drdui". Question was "pano roof or not". Something like that.

Bottom line I think it's all personal choice.

I love the black roof; blends in with the green in the shade but, stands out beautifully in bright sun.

Glenn, I've seen the sole production red with the black roof in person at a Get Amped event; it's a killer combo!

There was also this experiment about how hot the interior may (or may not) get with black paint (the executive summary sums it up nicely):
Cooling down a hot car is easy in many areas -- just roll down the windows for a minute and then use a little A/C, if needed. Heating up a cold car can rarely be done by rolling down the windows. Instead, you have to use a lot of battery power to run the heater for several minutes. So, it may make sense to bias the decision in favor of darker interior or exterior colors.

Cooling down a hot car is easy in many areas -- just roll down the windows for a minute and then use a little A/C, if needed. Heating up a cold car can rarely be done by rolling down the windows. Instead, you have to use a lot of battery power to run the heater for several minutes. So, it may make sense to bias the decision in favor of darker interior or exterior colors.

Darker colours absorb heat and pass it on to the other side and light colours reflect the heat, so it may actually feel warmer in winter with light coloured materials. The light coloured upholstery will reflect your body heat back rather than absorbing it the way a dark colour would.

If you have the pano roof, you can open it and let the hot air out. More effective than rolling down the side windows because hot air rises.

When the temperature is 40 or 45 C, "a little A/C" won't do a lot of good.

multi-coat Red P85 with 19" wheels, Tech package, Sound package, black leather, CF trim, the CF spoiler and the parcel shelf. The last decision is the roof choice. Pano roof or no pano roof?
You didn't explicitly mention it so I figure it might be worth confirming: I presume you're getting the Perf (which is required for the CF trim and the spoiler)?