Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirror Removal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As part of Engineer's week I am taking my Roadster to a local school as we talk about energy efficiency and engineering. They would like to have the car inside for the kids to see and for Feb in NE Tennesse; indoors is nice. But the doors only open to 70 inches, 4 inches shy. Has anyone pulled off the side mirrors? Is it easy? It appears there are 2-3 screws holding it on but there is color matching tape covering the screw holes that seems quite secure. Not sure I want to gum it up. While I would like the car to be inside for a close look I do not want to pull the mirrors unless very easy. Thank you

Thank you I saw that post but it seems like there are slight differences between the Elise and Roadster. While there are three screws holding on the mirror I can't find the access to the third one or at least I see no way to access the third one withought disassembling the door. two appear covered by painted tape circles whic also seem quite secure and do not want to come off. So it seems like more work than I want to get into for a school project.

removing the mirror is a two-step process. removing the outer part of the mirror (which will decrease width by about 4" on each side) isn't hard. two screws. the biggest problem is that the screws take a strange head. the second is that the screws strip easily and then it can be hard to get them screwed back in well, and having them loose and shaky is NO FUN.

but it can be done and you seem to be pretty hands on, dave, so i expect you will be fine with it. just get the right tool.

as for the sticker/cover, that is more of an issue since you are likely to ruin the sticker cover getting it off, and replacing the sticker cover with a properly colored twilight blue decal is not easy. they have to be painted.

good luck!