Page 11 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway

Quote Originally Posted by medved View Post
    Because Tesla says: "The Model S battery will not lose a significant amount of charge when parked for long periods of time. For example, Model S owners can park at the airport without plugging in."
    Right, all things being equal and relative. Which they are not in, oh, say, upper state New York in February.

Seriously, you don't have to be a genius to figure this out. Does Tesla really have to 'qualify' that statement for the masses?

The Model S battery will not lose a significant amount of charge when parked for long periods of time - except when the temperature dips below freezing, and then you can expect the batteries to behave like all other batteries of the same type in cold temperatures, and exponentially as the temperature drops lower blah, blah, blah...

Apparently the answer for some is: h e double hockey sticks, yes.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    He still decided to take a 60 mile trip with 30 miles of range. At least that's what we can figure out from what he wrote. No way to explain that away other than he wanted to run out and document getting towed.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Tesla also tells us we can't use an extension cord to charge, making it difficult to plug in unless you happen to find a parking spot directly beside an outlet.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    The article brings up a lot of valid points and issues with EV travel but loses all credibility with the way he handled his trip at the end. It does highlight the need for at least more 110V outlets are places like hotels. Not great but would be better than nothing.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Remember when you used to have to look for "that seat" in an airport to plug your laptop or cellphone in? (Some airports you still have to search...) But a lot of airports have come into the modern era and have outlets or USB ports everywhere. Let's hope the same will happen for plugging in EVs...
    P85 Black/Black/Pano/Obeche Flat/Tech/Sound/Air/21" Silver/Twin/HPWC -- Delivery Window Feb 28-Mar 14
    Deposit 11/13/2012 Finalized 1/11/13 Pre-MVPA Signed 1/11/13 Delivery Info Requested 1/28/13
    DELIVERED MARCH 7, 2013

Items for Sale
    For some, it's a stretch...this is why the user manual for your lawn mower advises you to "not pick up your running mower and use it to trim your hedge...

Ever hear the Jeff Foxworthy bit about why the instructions for Preparation H state that it is not to be used orally? (pretty funny bit...sad, but true)

Sum people is stoopid beyund beleaf...

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    Right, all things being equal and relative. Which they are not in, oh, say, upper state New York in February.

Seriously, you don't have to be a genius to figure this out. Does Tesla really have to 'qualify' that statement for the masses?

The Model S battery will not lose a significant amount of charge when parked for long periods of time - except when the temperature dips below freezing, and then you can expect the batteries to behave like all other batteries of the same type in cold temperatures, and exponentially as the temperature drops lower blah, blah, blah...

Apparently the answer for some is: h e double hockey sticks, yes.
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Tesla also tells us we can't use an extension cord to charge, making it difficult to plug in unless you happen to find a parking spot directly beside an outlet.
    Tesla doesn't recommend using an extension cord for charging, but it works just fine provided that you buy properly sized extension cords. I regularly charge from a 50' 6/3 + 8/1 NEMA 14-50 extension cord, and when I travel in rural areas, I carry a 50' 10-gauge 120v extension cord (which has come in handy charging at various schools during wrestling meets). Wire is wire, just make sure what you're bringing is thick enough to carry full amperage for the distance.

This is another example of Tesla communicating inaccurate or potentially misleading information about the car to customers. Tesla should include in its owner's manual a concise, accurate discussion of long-distance driving -- one that does not assume that everyone lives in perfect 70°F climates. There's a huge amount of lore developed by the EV pioneers that Tesla should convey to its customers. Had they done so, then this NYT debacle either wouldn't have occurred, or at least Tesla could have rebutted the story by showing how the reporter directly contradicted the printed recommendations for driving the Model S. As it stands, it appears that Tesla personnel exacerbated the problem. Serious PR fail -- Tesla should have been monitoring this car and its SOC like a hawk and flagged the issue long before it flagged down a tow truck.
    Last edited by Robert.Boston; 2013-02-09 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    Tesla doesn't recommend using an extension cord for charging.
    I don't have the manual in front of me, but I'm pretty sure they explicitly say DO NOT use an extension cord.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I don't have the manual in front of me, but I'm pretty sure they explicitly say DO NOT use an extension cord.
    Yes, a CYA statement so that they can't be blamed for the use of an improperly sized extension cord, or circumventing the various regulations about EVs. (I'm pretty sure there is one that says no extension cords.)
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    Tesla doesn't recommend using an extension cord for charging, but it works just fine provided that you buy properly sized extension cords. I regularly charge from a 50' 6/3 + 8/1 NEMA 14-50 extension cord, and when I travel in rural areas, I carry a 50' 10-gauge 120v extension cord (which has come in handy charging at various schools during wrestling meets). Wire is wire, just make sure what you're bringing is thick enough to carry full amperage for the distance.
    Well said. Unless your home has it's own electric generating plant, your home is using "an extension". It's all in the wire size and load. We thank Ohm's Law for that.

Thread Information