Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

license plate frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the pictures of Teslas that I've seen have had a nice silver Tesla license plate holder in the back (often with the "zero emissions" placeholder). Mine came with nothing. Am I supposed to have that? There's what I think is a much less attractive one for sale on the Tesla website, for $38 (it says "my next car is electric, which doesn't exactly apply at this point).

This is the only picture I could find of the frame, although I remember it as being more chrome in color:

Image1.jpg

And on the subject of things it seems I should have, my manuals came in a white paper envelope. My guess is that's normal, but other cars in this price range come with a leather pouch, or at least a nice vinyl or ballistic nylon portfolio. The white envelope looks out of place.

Mine did come with a license plate frame. And I do agree that the white envelope is just cheap. Along with the (front only) car mats. Cheapest mats I've seen in any car, and I still can't get them to lay down straight from being rolled up on delivery. Is velcro really the only mechanism for attaching them to the floor?

No license plate frame here either. Or "Zero Emissions" placard. Or screws to mount the front license plate. Or physical owner's manual, whether in an envelope or not.

None of that stuff bothers me, but it does make me suspect Tesla doesn't really have a checklist of what comes with the car, they just throw in whatever they have handy. :)

Last edited:
I just picked up my car at the factory on Wed. When I got the car, it did not have a license plate holder attached. Apparently they ran out and switched suppliers, so some of the cars being delivered now do not have them attached. They are back in stock, and I went over to service and they gave me one before I left the factory, so if you're picking up in Fremont, make sure you stop by service on the way out.

Mine did not come with a plate frame either (VIN 3172), but I would like one. However, given the fact it is plastic with chrome coating, I will just ask the store/gallery or Denver Service Center to give me one. If they can't, then I can live without. Perhaps in time there will be better quality after market frames available.

My husband's P85 delivered Oct 30 had the nice plate frame. My 60 delivered Jan 29 didn't have one. I asked them for one (I had a factory pickup) and they checked around, but they have run out. So I think this is actually a(nother!) supply issue. The car looks much better with the frame, and makes it all the more identifiable as a Tesla (since the name is written in clear lettering on the frame bottom). Every car should come with one, no question.

As it was, I went to an auto parts store and bought a plain "chrome" frame. Looks better than nothing around my "Zero Emissions" placard (which is a great idea IMO), but not nearly as good as the Tesla one.

I actually wish the frame said Zero Emissions, though I have not received the Tesla frame either. I also am using plain chrome for my S85, since my other frame says "My Next Car is a Tesla!", which still could be true, I suppose!

Maybe you could find a way to tack "also" on. "My next car is [SUP]also[/SUP] a Telsa".

I'm really digging the "Zero Emissions" placard. Makes an important point about the car - that it's 100% electric - that might not be obvious or known to most. So much so that I'm loathe to put a plate on.

I didn't get the Tesla frame either. But given that it already says "Tesla" right above there, I might see if I can find a nice frame that says "Zero Emissions."

Picked up my Model S at the factory today. Did not have a plate on it. Had to ask the DS who went and found one. Feels like they are delivering so many cars that this is something that sometimes is forgotten.

I asked my DS too (on Jan 19th) after I noticed that there wasn't a frame. He admitted that there were some early production folks who were given those just by chance and that there's no formal commitment to give those anymore.