Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic roof creaking noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I've had my model S for 2 months now, and have driven over 4000 miles. I noticed a few weeks in that the panoramic roof crossmember/support beam makes a creaking sound that sounds like hard plastic or styrofoam rubbing together. The guys at the Atlanta shop looked at this for a couple of hours and were unable to fix it. They said that maybe they could find the source if they took the headliner off, but that would take a long time. I have also heard the same noise on other Model S with the panoramic roof. Has anyone encountered this? Any fix known?
Thanks,
Jason

There's a thread on squeaks and creaks ..... I had a tapping that I swore was that cross bar.... Not!

Turned out it was something still unidentified in the headliner ... Very center above the rear seat.

I had some foam leftover from some packaging and crammed it in there...

To test... Tap on that area and see if you can reproduce the sound.

Like I said .... I would have swore to my dying breath ... that's where it came from. I even pulled off the plastic cover and there's simply nothing in there that can make noise unless the plastic cover mounting clips were broken or otherwise not pushed in far enough.

Hopefully :)confused:) you find its the same location I referred to ...

Like I said .... I would have swore to my dying breath ... that's where it came from.

Sounds in cars are very hard to find. The reason is that the sound comes through holes rather than going in a straight line. Also the glass reflects the sound. Sometimes you have to place microphones in several suspect areas to find out where the sound is really coming from (and sometimes you get lucky).

Yes! Mine has exactly the same creaking noise. It's constant, loud and very annoying. Really seems like it's coming from the crossbar. I had my husband drive the car while I crawled around to try to locate the sound. It's definitely coming from the crossbar or very close to it. My car is going in the week of the 18th to fix this and and headlights (they are aimed ridiculously low). I'll report back after the service.

YES! Someone else has this problem. In my car it's like a clicking type rattle that seems to change with temperature. It's worse when the car is warm. Sometimes it goes away completely for a while. Is this what other people are hearing?

It drives me crazy.

I am not suggesting that this will work for everyone here, but I had a rattle in the roof after I had vented the Pano. I heard the rattle after I closed the vent. I had this issue in a prior car where the sunroof only seated properly if it was opened and then closed rather than vented and closed. So I opened the roof and closed the it. The rattle disappeared and hasn't returned.

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell, it does not seem to be related to the Pano roof. It does not matter where the roof is positioned. Most telling is it seems to be temperature related. This morning where it was cold, there was not rattle.

I have hear it off and on. No specific conditions.. sometimes it is cold, sometimes it is not. Venting the roof definitely stops the sound, so it is something in that assembly. Venting and closing does not always stop the sound. I had a case where I heard the sound constantly. I then parked the car, and when I came back the sound had stopped. It is definitely annoying when it is going on.

I've got it too - a tick/creak noise from behind the driver almost every time I go over a bump or the body flexes. There is a temporary fix that involves adding lubricant between the crossmember angle brackets and the body, but no permanent "sure-fire" resolution yet. Tesla is definitely aware of the issue and has assured me that if/when a service bulletin is issued for it, those of us with the problem will be notified right away...

I have it too. I does happen more when the car is warmer. I asked my young son where he thought the tick/tap sound was coming from and he was sure it was the rear window where it meets the roof. It's an annoying sound as it most especially occurs when I'm taking people out for a spin and I'm talking about how quiet the car is!

I get the panoramic roof creak here in the SF Bay area. I think mine is from the roof brackets or seals. This is what I notice...

-occurs intermittently and I can sometimes go 2-3 days without hearing it

-more noticeable with bumpy roads and some body flexing

-more often when temps change from low to high abruptly, such as going from cool garage out into a warm, sunny day.

-open/close of roof will relieve it temporarily, but sometimes it will come back within a couple of minutes and other times not until the next drive

I hope Tesla finds a fix soon, maybe some sort of lubricant or something.

I have had the creaking/rattle since day 1 (November). Makes me nuts. Told the LA service guys and they couldn't find the problem. Stuffed the cross-bar area and plastic cover with polyester pillow stuffing...but still creaks. Almost sounds like its the car body flexing against the pano roof (which doesn't flex). Anyway, I hope they figure it out at some point. I'm still a fan even with the cracked windshield, leaky rear turn signal light, malfunctioning turn signals, washer fluid indicator malfunction, misaligned doors, bluetooth resets, horrible AM radio reception, and 4-month wait (and still waiting) for due bill items.