Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little perspective-My final visit to an ICE car dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Al Sherman

It's about THIS car.
Nov 29, 2012
Batesville, IN
I'm sitting in the waiting room at the Toyota dealer. It's strange but I really feel as if I don't belong here. The Prius is getting a new 12 volt. 210 dollars for the battery and another 100 bucks to put it in. Ranger service at the house anybody?

I'm sitting in the waiting room at the Toyota dealer. It's strange but I really feel as if I don't belong here. The Prius is getting a new 12 volt. 210 dollars for the battery and another 100 bucks to put it in. Ranger service at the house anybody?

That's expensive. Mine have been ~$200 including installation from the dealer. In the Prius groups I tell people to find another dealer.

I changed mine myself with Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 11, before there was a direct fit (pencil post) version. This guy was more work since I had to change out the negative cable and positive terminal. It's not THAT tough. As I posted at Optima D51 battery - why elearnaid? Seattle area installers? | PriusChat, it took me about 1.5 hours while parked in front of an auto parts store (so I could either borrow or buy tools, if I needed them).

The direct fit version (Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + with Instructions) is less work. No need to change terminal or cable.

If you have a Gen 3 Prius (2010+ model year), it looks like WAY less work than a Gen 2. On Gen 3, there are fewer things in the way that need to be removed.

$210 w/o install sounds high, see New 12v Battery, Part #28800-21171 | PriusChat (I actually met the OP and he's quite a car DIYer). The price was crazy and later got fixed, see New 12v Battery, Part #28800-21171 | Page 3 | PriusChat.

If I were going to spent $210, I'd buy the Optima Yellow Top.

Sounds as if I paid too much. Oh well. The new owner will be happy. I'm selling it to a friend for what the trade in would have given me.I caught up on all the recalls too. My friend is happy, and I will not have the trade in/private market hassle. It's a Gen 2 and I would never consider doing it myself. Too many wires.:smile: My local ICE mechanic respectfully opted out.