Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I the only person here that thinks that the front grill looks like a Ford Taurus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am excited to get my model S P85 in late March however I dont like 2 things about the car

1) All of the chrome (straight out of the 80's)
2) The ugly bubbled-out cheap looking front grill

I am looking to customize my car by blacking out all of the chrome, power coating the 21" wheels matte black and having a body shop somehow fabricate a new front grill in black (similar to this one I saw online, but in black)

Thoughts and input and/or suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• tesla grill.jpg
    tesla grill.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 11,768
Last edited by a moderator:
de gustibus non est disputandum

+1 Could apply to MANY threads on the appearance of the car. Especially color. Plus, I see a lot of age type things creeping in. I've discussed these type things in PM's with lots of folks. Sometimes they use the "looks like my dad's car" thing. Turns out, I'm older than their dad after I tell them I like their dad's car. Applies to many items on the MS it seems. Chrome, Grey wheels, Spoiler, etc...

I for one like the look of the car as is. I can also guarantee that I am not older than anyone's dad that can type.

When I see a 7 series with all black trim it makes me think cheap. It was expensive for TESLA to do what try did with the window trim and door handles.

I do not think it looks like a Ford Taurus, I think it is reminiscent of Jaguar (post ford involvement), Aston Martin, and Masaratti. These are some of the best design companies in the world.

Modify it however you want, but understand that it is an electric car and some parts are not meant to be exposed to water continually. So turning a front solid nose cone into a mesh one may not bode well for your warranty coverage.

You will also be creating a windsock... So much for aerodynamics...

I am excited to get my model S P85 in late March however I dont like 2 things about the car

I am looking to customize my car by blacking out all of the chrome, power coating the 21" wheels matte black and having a body shop somehow fabricate a new front grill in black (similar to this one I saw online, but in black)

So you don't like any chrome but you want to change the front grille to that? Seems antithetical. I for one hate all of the blacked-out look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking about possible matting the chrome strip below the doors and also possibly matting the glossy nose cone, but I think that cone in your pic looks like a bad Bently or Jaguar impression.

Also, I have a suggestion: Don't use font size 5 or more in your posts for no reason.

I might be interested in switching to the grill you showed in the photo. If for no other reason, because the bugs wouldn't show up as well (I drive through the everglades every day). Then again, where would the bugs go with that grill?

A lot of people ask me about the similarity to the 2013 Fords... I simply tell them that Ford has done a good job of adding some of the best design elements in the industry to its cars.

A lot of people ask me about the similarity to the 2013 Fords... I simply tell them that Ford has done a good job of adding some of the best design elements in the industry to its cars.

I think Model S looks an awful lot like the Ford Fusion, not the Taurus.
and I agree with Flasher: both the Ford and the Model S look nice.

I've had the car for over a month now. The #1 comment I get is: "but how far can you drive?". The #2 comment is: "what a great looking car". #3 is comments about the touchscreen or software, and then you get questions about charging details.

Anyway, most people love the look of the car.

Personally, I like shiny, and I chose the silver wheels over the gray.

Not a huge fan of the nose cone and is one of the reasons I ended up finalizing with Black as it blends in and changes the feel of the car imo. Anyway, share your view and look forward to aftermarket options at some point in the future.

I like the grill ... A lot. But contrary to you I also like the chrome details on the Model S.