Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beavis

Model S Signature 991
Dec 24, 2011
Colorful Colorado
Last year I put a 4.86 kW solar array on my roof and arranged a net meter from my rural co-op. Now that my S is in my garage and the iPhone app is available, I would like to go to a Time of Use plan combined with my solar array to take advantage of the lower off peak rates. My co-op's off peak rate is a penny (plus a monthly $5 admin charge), which would save me a significant amount. I called my co-op and they told me that they don't have a meter that will net meter with a TOU plan. They said that they actually haven't found a smart meter that would do this and still meet their reliability standards. Any solar junkies care to comment on whether that is really true? If it is true, what are the prospects for developing such a meter?

For some background, my co-op has a page on their website dedicated to debunking global warming and they aren't very solar friendly. I don't trust that they are really trying that hard to accommodate people like me.

As a work around, it occurred to me that I could get 2 meters, a TOU meter for the 14-50 in my garage for the car and the net meter for the rest of the house. Anyone care to comment on that crazy idea?

Their comment about the smart metering is bogus. Many thousands of people in California have smart metering and TOU in the same meter without issues either from generation or from metering from the utility. I'd say get the TOU, then add the 14-50 after they are gone and be done with it.

I've had solar for 3 years & just recently upgraded to TOU to take advantage of lower rates. Live in California with PG&E as power company. They installed a new meter to handle Net & TOU. Meter is a GE - see http://www.pge.com/myhome/customerservice/smartmeter/nem/

I asked the installer what the track record with the meters was and he said main problem was verifying that it had adequate connectivity to the PG&E mesh network. He was verifying this as we talked. Said once this was good he doesn't have to replace meters.

I am now seeing data on consumption/generation posted next day for 15 minute intervals.

I live in northern cal and have been on tou e-7 for over 25 years, Pacific Graft and Extortion installed a net metering system when I installed solar a few years ago. They have an ev e6 program and you can also have 2 meters, one for the ev and one for your home. I have looked into this and have decided to stay with the e7 tou. I pay dearly for electricity used between 12 and 6 pm, but have set up everything to be used outside of that time, except of course the refer and computer. The great thing about the tou is that the 12 to 6 is where your solar is most effective and pg&e credits you back the generation at the high cost rate. Unfortunately in northern cal electric rate are ridiculous. Would love to be able to buy juice from a co-op, but we have a monopoly here.

Living in sunny southern Nevada, I installed a 10.5 kw PV solar on my house several years ago, which was more than my calculated demand at that time in anticipation of having plug-in EV someday. Haven't had a monthly bill over $10.50 (which is the monthly fixed service charge and tax) so i have been banking my credits. Wondering if I will ever need more than what I have banked and continue to generate on a daily basis.

Still wating for my VIN which I should have any day now.